PDA

View Full Version : How stupid is the media??

spoc22
20 Aug 2007, 12:51 AM
Here is an AP lead paragraph:
CRAWFORD, Texas - Master GOP strategist Karl Rove won't let up in his attacks on Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton, but the intriguing question is why.
hmmm
He's a GOP strategist and she's the front running Dem candidate. I wonder, what could possibly be his reason?

StockTrader
20 Aug 2007, 10:34 AM

hmmm
He's a GOP strategist and she's the front running Dem candidate. I wonder, what could possibly be his reason?

He's got a grade school crush?

Nick

-mmm-
20 Aug 2007, 12:15 PM

hmmm

Shes the front runner if you actually listen to the media agree with each other.

I, for one, refuse to believe her nomination is already wrapped up.

Actually the dumbest thing I found in that part you quoted as calling Rove a master strategist. Strategy is a long term thing, he won in the short run of 00/04 (with more than a little help from shady side of things) at the expense of 06 and very likely 08.

hork
20 Aug 2007, 04:17 PM
Shes the front runner if you actually listen to the media agree with each other.

I, for one, refuse to believe her nomination is already wrapped up.

i agree, i don't think she should look past her opponents in the primaries myself. there really doesn't seem to be any consensus yet on who the democratic party will nominate granted she's one of the top three but it's a long way till the DNC meets to announce any nomination.

P562045
21 Aug 2007, 08:00 AM

hmmm

Rove now that he is leaving needs something to do and the best way for Mrs. Clinton to be the actual nominee is for Mr. Rove to say just about anything about Mrs. Clinton. In fact about the only way Mrs. Clinton is going to be the nominee is if the republicans just attack her in any way shape or form.

Back in Mrs. Clinton's first senate race she was having a tough time with Rick Lazio until he went over to Mrs. Clinton during a debate and demanded that she sign a piece of paper banning soft money in her campaign. Up until then it was pretty certain that Mrs. Clinton would win but it was pretty much over after this blatant attack on Mrs. Clinton.

I am very sure genius Rove already knows full well the best way to get Mrs. Clinton to be the nominee is to go out and attack her very viciously as only Mr. Rove can. Things like what is Mrs. Clinton's greatest accomplishment as a senator? Why did you recently comment to the New York Times that we may need to stay in Iraq a lot longer than previously stated by you and then during the latest debate just days ago go right back to anti war rhetoric?

Asking these types of question of Mrs. Clinton is exactly what Mrs. Clinton wants if she ever hopes to be the nominee.

So what is Mrs. Clinton's greatest accomplishment in the six plus years of being a senator?

spoc22
22 Aug 2007, 01:36 AM
So what is Mrs. Clinton's greatest accomplishment in the six plus years of being a senator?She has an accomplishment?

hork
22 Aug 2007, 10:22 AM
She has an accomplishment?

several (which i'm sure you are aware of) but the three biggest in recent years include:

The Prevention First Act
The Restoring Disability Benefits for Injured and Wounded Warriors Act of 2007
and
The Count Every Vote Act of 2005

all three of which I'm sure you are familiar with are considered huge pieces of legislation and all three of which garnered widespread bi-partisan support. In fact the Count Every Vote Act is now considered the gold standard in election reform and the RDBIWW act was critical in stopping the Bush administration from tossing it's vets out in the cold jobless and homeless.

I know I didn't really need to post this but there might be some folks who read these boards and would get the incorrect impression that she has done nothing during her tenure in the Senate or during her 8 yrs as First Lady. And as we all know that couldn't be farther from the truth.

spoc22
23 Aug 2007, 02:00 AM
several (which i'm sure you are aware of) but the three biggest in recent years include:

The Prevention First Act
On January 4, 2007, the first day of the 110th Congress, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) introduced the Prevention First Act, S. 21
http://www25.uua.org/uuawo/new/article.php?id=927
The Restoring Disability Benefits for Injured and Wounded Warriors Act of
The Count Every Vote Act of 2005Oh yeah, the one that LOWERED standards for determining voter eligibility
One section of the bill says each state must allow an individual to register to vote on the day of a federal election and to "have that vote counted in the same manner as a vote cast by an eligible voter who properly registered during the regular registration period."

Another provision says, "Each state and jurisdiction shall accept and process a voter registration application for an election for Federal office unless there is a material omission or information that specifically affects the eligibility of the voter. There shall be a presumption that persons who submit voter registration applications should be registered."

A third section adds, "The following shall not constitute a 'material omission or information that specifically affects the eligibility of the voter': (1) The failure to provide a Social Security number or driver's license number. (2) The failure to provide information concerning citizenship or age in a manner other than" a simple statement that one is a citizen.

That leaves one bill in eight years? WOW!!! Impressive.

hork
23 Aug 2007, 08:06 AM
On January 4, 2007, the first day of the 110th Congress, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) introduced the Prevention First Act, S. 21

you have to stop using those agenda based references they do little to help your credibility.

here try this from the Library of Congress (http://tinyurl.com/2qm5dz)

as for the voter act, funny but even your party jumped on board tauting it as the gold standard for voter reform. but let's ignore that, it wouldn't serve our purposes of painting her as a know nothing radical flunkie to show the republicans in the US Senate have more than once lauded her efforts and skills on the hill (now if you want to blast her, that's reason enough right there to raise red flags).

P562045
23 Aug 2007, 08:14 AM
Thank you spoc for providing the information about the Prevention First Act.

They are a couple of things that really stick out about this like a sore thumb.

Just give these young women some information about emergency contraception so that they don't have to have an abortion. That is exactly how this bill is reducing the number of abortions. This makes me feel so much better.

If these women are being provided with such high quality health care why is there such a high unwanted pregnancy rate among these young people in the first place?

That must be why we need some federal dollars to start going towards contraception education for the very first time. That should really reduce unwanted teen pregnancy.

I hope it works because people want their money in Washington to be spent wisely no matter who is in charge.

I am sure this will be highly successful if the rate goes down to thirty three percent for unwanted pregnancies and striving to go any lower would be great but not really necessary.

P562045
23 Aug 2007, 08:41 AM
Thank you hork for providing the actual legislation but it does not change my mind at all about what I just said.

I would have probably asked the question why is emergency contraception so important?

I am sure I would I get a warm and fuzzy response just like the title of the bill. This really is preventing abortions and it is also providing high quality health care to these young women.

I was thinking of something totally different when I read the words The Prevention First Act. I thought this was about providing preventative medical services which this does but I was thinking in much more broader terms. Something like making sure people get medical checkups each year and so on.

It is also a very new concept that religion would use propaganda for their own purposes.

I am not saying whether it is right or wrong for religion to do this I am just pointing out this is not the first time it has happened nor will it be the last time either.

The last major action on this bill was having it read on the floor of the senate in April of 2005. I am surprised the democrats have not brought this legislation to our attention when they had seven months in which to do so if it is so vital to being one of Mrs. Clinton's accomplishments while she has been serving in the senate for six plus years.

spoc22
23 Aug 2007, 11:15 PM
Okay hork, I didn't do an exhaust search by any means, just a google search. But even if I give her all of your bills, it's still just 3 bills in all the time she's been there and they are of such wide sweeping importance. I would expect far more from someone who is looking to run the country.

P562045
24 Aug 2007, 08:05 AM
A while ago when we got some loud gasps when Mrs. Clinton and Newt were agreeing about something.

Did they ever pass the legislation that medical information that is kept by some kind of electronic means should be kept private?

That would be a real accomplishment if it did.