Jockstocks Forums

Jockstocks Forums (http://forums.jockstocks.com//index.php)
-   Jockstocks Today (http://forums.jockstocks.com//forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Congrats (http://forums.jockstocks.com//showthread.php?t=22588)

rich76 29 Sep 2019 09:28 AM

Congrats

To a super rookie.....Pete Alonso of the NY Mets. What a year:

1. Home run derby winner
2. Breaking the MLB rookie record for HRs
3. Winning the MLB HR title for 2019 (unless Soler hits 6 or Suarez hits 4 today).

Also.....Verlander..........great year....prob another Cy Young.

Also....Yanks and Twins....both teams over 300 HRs for the season

Also.....Houston's pitching staff...amazing season

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SiteWolf 29 Sep 2019 10:23 AM

Lots of great story lines this year.....Twins/A's/Rays all small market teams in the AL Playoffs, the Nats and Cardinals come from WAY back early to take playoff spots

re the Yankees/Twins.....without injuries to Cruz, Cron, Kepler, and Gonzalez they don't go into today's last game a home run behind...and I mention Marwin because he's likely the NINTH Twin with 20+ homers, they already set the record with 8 as well as the reocord with 5 over 30...............my 'concern' is that, if the Twins don't tie/overtake the Yankees overall today, their efforts will be largely forgotten.....

....but no worries, the playoffs matter more and it appears Game 1 of Twins vs Yankees will be Friday night.......historically even Twins teams possibly better than the Yankee team they're facing have struggled with NY......while none of this year's guys have been on those playoff teams, I question whether the Twins pitching can hold up.............but that's why they play the games!

yon Beast 29 Sep 2019 10:34 AM

Agreed on all points!

Going Postal earned champion status in JFCL baseball by being the number 1 seed and defeating bballers.... who chased Postal closely all year.
congratulations, guys!

rich76 29 Sep 2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

re the Yankees/Twins.....without injuries to Cruz, Cron, Kepler, and Gonzalez they don't go into today's last game a home run behind...and I mention Marwin because he's likely the NINTH Twin with 20+ homers, they already set the record with 8 as well as the reocord with 5 over 30...............my 'concern' is that, if the Twins don't tie/overtake the Yankees overall today, their efforts will be largely forgotten.....
Boo hoo............

the Yankees broke a mlb record this year for the most players to hit the IL. - 2,246 games lost. That includes 5 HR hitters, who IMHO, would have hit significantly more hr's than the 4 you mentioned.

:popcorn:

SiteWolf 29 Sep 2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 99299)
Boo hoo............

the Yankees broke a mlb record this year for the most players to hit the IL. - 2,246 games lost. That includes 5 HR hitters, who IMHO, would have hit significantly more hr's than the 4 you mentioned.

:popcorn:

I don't remember stating it as an excuse, just a fact....certainly the Yankees also had a lot of HR power not in the lineup

rich76 29 Sep 2019 02:55 PM

It is expected from the Yanks. What the Twins have done was not expected....they'll get their just due.

SiteWolf 29 Sep 2019 04:05 PM

lol right now I believe they're tied at 306 each with a few regular season innings left......good thing neither is a wild card getting that 163rd game

bballjer44 29 Sep 2019 06:45 PM

How do you pick Cy Young between Cole and Verlander? Stats nearly identical playing and on same team.

rich76 29 Sep 2019 06:55 PM

more wins and a better WHIP. As you said.....the rest is similar

bballjer44 29 Sep 2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 99306)
more wins and a better WHIP. As you said.....the rest is similar

You know Cole had big stats game today. One less win and higher whip but wins AL ERA and K's crowns.

I say a draw. ;)

rich76 29 Sep 2019 08:12 PM

Have their ever been co winners? Just saw Cole's stats........great game.

rich76 15 Oct 2019 07:18 PM

If playoffs mattered.....Cole has an edge......

ProneEisenrott 15 Oct 2019 10:59 PM

Playoffs aren't "supposed to" matter. It is "supposed to be" a regular season award. Wait and see...

bballjer44 15 Oct 2019 11:52 PM

Found this:
MVP voting takes place before the postseason, but the results are not announced until after the World Series. The BBWAA began by polling three writers in each league city in 1938, reducing that number to two per league city in 1961.

ProneEisenrott 16 Oct 2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballjer44 (Post 99448)
Found this:
MVP voting takes place before the postseason, but the results are not announced until after the World Series. The BBWAA began by polling three writers in each league city in 1938, reducing that number to two per league city in 1961.

Very interested. I did not know that. I guess it makes it truly a regular season award, since the voting occurs before the postseason even begins.

Unless some of the voters are fortune tellers :)