Jockstocks Forums

Jockstocks Forums (http://forums.jockstocks.com//index.php)
-   Jockstocks Today (http://forums.jockstocks.com//forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should there be rules changes for playoff games? (http://forums.jockstocks.com//showthread.php?t=22177)

SiteWolf 21 Jan 2019 09:55 AM

Should there be rules changes for playoff games?

We just had 2 conference championships go to overtime- exciting games, both of them......but also both exposing flaws in the rules that are easily fixed.

1.) If ALL plays are reviewable in the playoffs, that blatantly missed PI late in the Saints/Rams game gets properly called (but so, likely, do a couple calls that favored the Saints).

2.) If both teams are guaranteed one possession in overtime, a coin flip has less power.

What say you?

yon Beast 21 Jan 2019 11:21 AM

i did not get to watch the games :(

I have read the articles this morning and i am pretty disappointed.
both your suggestions make good sense...in an ideal world. However, i'm pretty sure the networks pressure the nfl to be finished as close to the scheduled time as possible, that is why the brief o/t.
(i think the cfl uses that even possession thingy in overtime)
As far as all plays being reviewed...i'm all for it ....but seems to me those guys reviewing it are less than speedy. on field officials make a call in seconds. booth needs to be on the replay right away. for some reason it takes them an absurd amount of time.

bballjer44 21 Jan 2019 01:33 PM

I know I'm in the minority but "getting it right" is making sports boring to watch with all the stoppages.

If you start reviewing penalties (especially those not called) don't you think almost every play would be reviewable? Between receivers and db hands on each other and OL holding and DL grabbing … more plays than not.
Add in that a no huddle quick snap offense gets screwed with each
stoppage.
I quit watching NBA partly because of all the stoppages.
Momentum broken constantly due to replay.
And free timeouts while waiting for decisions.

I prefer less in all sports. Let the games flow at an interesting pace. Hell, millennials can't watch a whole series now without checking their phones! Bring the human element back.

SiteWolf 21 Jan 2019 07:26 PM

For the record, in my view of changes re penalties, when I say all plays are reviewable, I'm referring to them being plays a coach can throw a red challenge flag out for....and while I think in that case they should get an additional flag, they would not be reviewing every play.....tho there'd need to be criteria for those last 2 minutes of the half thing.

I do agree....the actual review process takes FAR too long. During the season when there's multiple games going on at the same time, the review booth would have the possibility of reviewing plays from different games simultaneously.........but that's not the case in the playoffs.

Millennials have a hard time just taking a piss without checking their phone.

Isn't it funny how the sport with maybe the most potential flaws, the most quirky/subjective calls, AND is untimed....might actually have the least to fix in this regard? Well, there's the inconsistent strike zone, the fact they don't always adhere to rules on the books, and....ok maybe baseball has plenty to fix, too

Boston media thinks other fans are 'whining' about the overtime rules simply because the Patriots won without the Chiefs touching the ball........yet they'd be screaming at the top of their lungs if it'd gone the other way around.

Here is a bizarre factoid in that regard. I read the Patriots are 20 for 25 on overtime coin flips and astonishingly 8-0 in the playoffs....and since you always take the ball first in overtime, the Patriots have therefore gotten the ball first in every overtime playoff game they've ever played.

rich76 21 Jan 2019 07:53 PM

hmmmm Pats must be cheating again....;)

yon Beast 26 Jan 2019 07:52 PM

rich76 26 Jan 2019 08:18 PM

lmmfao