Jockstocks Forums

Jockstocks Forums (http://forums.jockstocks.com//index.php)
-   Techie Corner (http://forums.jockstocks.com//forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   internet explorerer (http://forums.jockstocks.com//showthread.php?t=13518)

rich76 13 Feb 2012 11:09 AM

internet explorerer

I believe I'm using IE9 and am very annoyed with what's been going on for some time now. When I have a few browsers open...for no apparent reason (intermitantly but often) I get the "internet explorerer has stopped working etc" and ALL the windows go down. I have already done a virus scan and fixed a couple of issues with that and I've recently done a system restore to a date before these issues started. I't still happening (forcing me to go back to google chrome-NO problems)

Anyone else having these issues? Any ideas?

StockTrader 13 Feb 2012 02:52 PM

Sounds like a memory issue. How many GB of RAM do you have?

Nick

rich76 13 Feb 2012 03:20 PM

StockTrader 13 Feb 2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 62428)

What % of memory usage are you running?

Do Ctrl + Shift + Esc and then under Performance there should be a reading in the second box down on the left [titled Memory]

Nick

rich76 13 Feb 2012 07:09 PM

2.6 Gb

yon Beast 13 Feb 2012 08:08 PM

It sounds like a RAM issue to me as well.

I've found after some time...RAM does "bung up".
I shut all off (power supply too) and take the RAM out and swap channels on all of them and it seems to respond a lot better.

done right the total cost is ZERO to try.
BEWARE OF STATIC!!!

**this is a short term solution if it works. Even so.... new RAM may be in order.
of course, IMO...cheap RAM (specials usually)are just that...cheap.
not to be confused with types of RAM, tho...ddr2/ ddr3

StockTrader 14 Feb 2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da Beast (Post 62431)
It sounds like a RAM issue to me as well.

I've found after some time...RAM does "bung up".
I shut all off (power supply too) and take the RAM out and swap channels on all of them and it seems to respond a lot better.

done right the total cost is ZERO to try.
BEWARE OF STATIC!!!

**this is a short term solution if it works. Even so.... new RAM may be in order.
of course, IMO...cheap RAM (specials usually)are just that...cheap.
not to be confused with types of RAM, tho...ddr2/ ddr3

A good idea, but not worth the hassle if it isn't a desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 62430)
2.6 Gb

Is this a desktop, Rich? And is is it using XP, Vista or 7?

Nick

rich76 14 Feb 2012 09:18 AM

desktop....PC

StockTrader 14 Feb 2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 62446)
desktop....PC

Do you know which operation system it is using?

Nick

StockTrader 14 Feb 2012 10:20 AM

Unfortunately, Internet Explorer is a memory hog. Chrome and Firefox are a lot better about handling their resources, and IMO give a better browsing experience anyway :)

That having been said, if you are on Vista or Windows 7, you can try to physically re-set your RAM or you can look into upgrading.

Nick

rich76 14 Feb 2012 10:33 AM

vista

StockTrader 14 Feb 2012 10:40 AM

Out of time now, but run this -- http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner -- and see what your upgrade options are.

Nick

rich76 14 Feb 2012 10:46 AM

thanks Nick

SayOw 14 Feb 2012 10:50 AM

An option, if you feel comfortable doing it, would be to do a complete reinstall of windows...you do not need to format your hard drive and most, if not all, of your programs should run properly afterwords. Of course, I would highly recommend backing up any and all important items prior to doing this and your bases should be covered. You want to make sure you are installing over top of your original windows...you should be prompted that you will overwrite your existing OS and you should select yes.

You will need to run any and all updates and you will lose most if not all of your settings for many windows based programs. But that is all relatively minor to get a PC back up and running as close to 100%, imo.

I've found that a person can monkey with RAM, drivers, hardware, etc. all they want too and many times, a fresh install will remedy many problems. If your PC is fairly new, you could be back up and running within an hour (sans updates) and better than ever.

Just my suggestion, fwiw.

rich76 14 Feb 2012 11:06 AM

thanks sayow. The one in question is a system a couple years old...running vista. I also am looking into my other old puter running XP (which was just taken completely down and XP pro reinstalled. That one I believe additional ram (if allowed) would be the answer. I am now considering your suggestion for the newr one. Appreciate your input.