Jockstocks Forums

Jockstocks Forums (http://forums.jockstocks.com//index.php)
-   Jockstocks Today (http://forums.jockstocks.com//forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Impressive to say the least (http://forums.jockstocks.com//showthread.php?t=929)

hork 26 Jun 2007 09:44 PM

Impressive to say the least

OK so I'm no fan of golf as we all know, but even though it's just the LPGA, and as we've all been told repeatedly time and again there is no such thing as a good woman golfer (or athlete in general), it's still hard not to be impressed with this youngster.

Good luck kid......:cheers:

AzElvis 26 Jun 2007 09:52 PM

Well I think Annika and Ochoa could play with the boys and even come close to makin the cut. I think this feat by a 12 yr old hurts the face of woman's sports. Just like Jenniffer idiot Tilly winning a WSOP bracelet cheapens the validity of women in poker. Not saying this 12 yr old is not good or wont become great. But if she is making the LPGA at 12 it says more to the bad field than anything. Nice lil dig AGAIN! U never quit trying to be funny while putting someone else down.

rich76 26 Jun 2007 10:18 PM

Troy...I'm going to ask you right now to keep this on an adult level please......so...

Quote:

Just like Jenniffer idiot Tilly winning a WSOP bracelet cheapens the validity of women in poker. Not saying this 12 yr old is not good or wont become great. But if she is making the LPGA at 12 it says more to the bad field than anything.
Although I've played for about 40 years, I don't pretend to know as much about poker as you. That being said....Chris Moneymaker...wasn't a pro right? Raynor ....wasn't a pro right? Have any other men come out from the woodwork or the net to win that was not expected to win? Is Jennifer Tilly an idiot because she won or because she is a woman that won or because she's a woman.....wth makes her an idiot and how does that/she cheapen the validi...etc etc etc????????????????????????

I won't even address the fact that you do not know how the U. S. Open sets the field of 156 players. Amateurs..young ones and old ones, have been qualifying for and playing in the Woman's, Men's, Seniors, etc etc Open Since forever. Those fields were not cheapened then nor or they cheapened now.jmo

Fightin 26 Jun 2007 10:48 PM

Ok I understand both sides here... Couple points.

a) in regards to poker, I hate to say it but Jennifer probably plays a lot better than most. Expecially since she goes out with Phil Laak, who teaches her many tricks/tips etc... I thought the same thing when I first saw her win and said "Oh a celebrity with too much money to burn." But then I saw a few of her plays on TV and gave her some more credit and the benefit of the doubt. I am sure many poker players are saying the same thing about Shannon Elizabeth right now with her performance in the heads up championship. But maybe time will tell.

b) Golf - Yes Troy I understand your point about a 12 year old qualifying and how that makes it seem the competition isn't stiff enough. However, if you read the post, she shot 2 good rounds in a "qualifier" to beat the remaining "qualifying field" That is not the same as competing with the Open crew. Maybe it says something about the depth of good women golfers (i.e all the good ones are already in and don't have to qualify), but says nothing about the crew she will be getting her butt kicked by in the Open.

Yes maybe there are not as many "proficient" women golfers as there are men. However, remember it used to be a mens only game way back when.

Just my .02 --- If you think I deserve change, fire away. :D

ibzilly 26 Jun 2007 10:48 PM

Troy. Do you post dribble like this to make you seem like the bad guy all the time when people bag on you???? Seriously. You make yourself out to be an idiot.

The thread was based on a 12 year old girl who qualified for the US Open. I guess girls succeeding in the world is against your beliefs. Dont believe this is the first time we have heard you bag on woman. Hate to break this to you Troy. But girls do have sports.

WSOP. <---- doesnt see anything in the name that says girls cant compete. You said it cheapens the WSOP braclet cause she won it. Wait. Maybe it was the lack of competition that was in the the tourney that let her win. Maybe all the players that attended the tourney just flat out suck. Was Phil Helmuth in it?, Daniel Neg.. in it?, Mad Mike in it? Barry Grienstien? Doyle Brunson or his son? MR Johnie himself??? Cause ALL those house hold names everyone knows. They can flat out play. If she beat them, major props. Just flat out beat the odds makers big time. Good for her.

Let me ask you this Troy. If a man would of won the tourney would he be a idiot?

jk592 26 Jun 2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzElvis (Post 6326)
................. Just like Jenniffer idiot Tilly winning a WSOP bracelet cheapens the validity of women in poker. ..................

How many bracelets have you won?

:rolleyes: :hmm:

TroyB911 26 Jun 2007 11:19 PM

Along these lines, did a 15-year old Joe Nuxhall pitching in Major League Baseball somehow diminish the competition and cheapen the sport?

I think we should recognize these phenoms, rare though they may be, and just enjoy watching them do something that very few athletes their age could ever even hope to achieve.

By the way, aren't women gymnasts typically young as well? Does that "cheapen the validity" of gymnastics as an Olympic sport?

hork 26 Jun 2007 11:37 PM

i apologize for posting such a controversial topic. i just figured that it seemed like a major deal for any 12 yr old kid to be good enough to compete at the highest level in his/her respective game.

i only wanted to acknowledge her accomplishment and offer what i perceived was some merited kudos. i didn't mean to start a thread destined to devolve into yet again more tired and worn out bs.

i should have known better, and for that i apologize

SiteWolf 26 Jun 2007 11:48 PM

For cryin' out loud, Troy....how do you do EXACTLY what Ken alluded to you having done before and STILL follow that up with a comment like 'nice little dig on me'. Perhaps if you didn't constantly provide the fodder for it, the digs would lessen....ya think?

AzElvis 27 Jun 2007 12:33 AM

fIGHTIN GREAT POINTS. i ALSO THINK IT WAS bs TO NOT LET WOMEN PLAY AT aUGUSTA BUT GO FIGURE. Oops Caps. Well anyone that knows anything about poker knows Chris Moneymaker is and average player at best. He is much better than Jamie Gold. I would actually put Tilly in the middle and that is a big blast to Gold who runs his mouth and acts like he is the man. He is a joke. Jennifer Tilly is plain and simple a "Goofball". Jeniffer Harman, Cristi Gazes, Jennicide, Annie Duke, and Cindy Violette are solid poker players and even I would be careful of my play vs. them. Tilly has been on several celebrity and Poker after dark spots and just makes a fool of herself. She is beyond ditsy. On after Dark she had a Boat Ks full of Js. after she was checked she checked her boat and when asked why check she said she was afraid he had quad Ks. Unfortuantely for her their would need to be 5 Ks to do so. Sh also commented several times she is afraid she has a tell. When asked what tell she replied, "My chest writhes up and down when I am nerveous." Well why does she wear such a low cleve outfit? No offense but is Tilly the defense you want to make for your cases? LOL too funny. She needs to make abnother Chucky movie. Like I said I wish the lil gir well. 12 yrs old is phenominal. Very amzing. But like I said as equally great of an accomplishment it is, I think it echoes the state of the game. I honstly think since most female sports are new they will take about a decade to get as competitive and talented as the men. Good points fightin. Nice to see someone retort with actual points instead of weak put downs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fightin (Post 6328)
Ok I understand both sides here... Couple points.

a) in regards to poker, I hate to say it but Jennifer probably plays a lot better than most. Expecially since she goes out with Phil Laak, who teaches her many tricks/tips etc... I thought the same thing when I first saw her win and said "Oh a celebrity with too much money to burn." But then I saw a few of her plays on TV and gave her some more credit and the benefit of the doubt. I am sure many poker players are saying the same thing about Shannon Elizabeth right now with her performance in the heads up championship. But maybe time will tell.

b) Golf - Yes Troy I understand your point about a 12 year old qualifying and how that makes it seem the competition isn't stiff enough. However, if you read the post, she shot 2 good rounds in a "qualifier" to beat the remaining "qualifying field" That is not the same as competing with the Open crew. Maybe it says something about the depth of good women golfers (i.e all the good ones are already in and don't have to qualify), but says nothing about the crew she will be getting her butt kicked by in the Open.

Yes maybe there are not as many "proficient" women golfers as there are men. However, remember it used to be a mens only game way back when.

Just my .02 --- If you think I deserve change, fire away. :D

AzElvis 27 Jun 2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk592 (Post 6330)
How many bracelets have you won?

:rolleyes: :hmm:

LOL JK nice one. I won a seat to a WSOP event but no bracelets. LOL nice 1:p

AzElvis 27 Jun 2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joehuelsman (Post 6331)
Along these lines, did a 15-year old Joe Nuxhall pitching in Major League Baseball somehow diminish the competition and cheapen the sport?

I think we should recognize these phenoms, rare though they may be, and just enjoy watching them do something that very few athletes their age could ever even hope to achieve.

By the way, aren't women gymnasts typically young as well? Does that "cheapen the validity" of gymnastics as an Olympic sport?

Sad part is when your 20 or older your are no longer able to really compete in gymnastics. I think womens and mens gymnastics are probably the toughest 10% of all sports. I dunno who the 15 yr old u speak of. I do know in Hockey and Baseball teens are drafted a lot for the farm system.

AzElvis 27 Jun 2007 12:40 AM

Ypu're right Orren it was a shot at me and I fell for it. U gotta question his reasoning behind it. Was it to give major props to the young one or just to make ANOTHER off-handed remark to attempt to belittle me. I agree Orren and why I fall for the childishness of the attempt....I can't help myself I guess. I thought I honestly gave my opinion and hope I can be given the opportunity to voice my opinion as do others without any reverb.

hork 27 Jun 2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Was it to give major props to the young one
yes

Quote:

or just to make ANOTHER off-handed remark to attempt to belittle me.
you mean like this

i'll be honest though i should have left the end out if for no other reason than to keep the peace poor judgment on my part i can admit it, after all it's not like you didn't prove my point beyond doubt with your follow-up anyways

P562045 27 Jun 2007 08:05 AM

She did have to play two rounds of golf in order to qualify for the Open.

It is not like this opportunity was just given to her just because.

I just thought I should point this out and that is all I have to say about this matter.