Jockstocks Forums

Jockstocks Forums (http://forums.jockstocks.com//index.php)
-   Techie Corner (http://forums.jockstocks.com//forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question..... (http://forums.jockstocks.com//showthread.php?t=12467)

rich76 01 Jul 2011 08:51 AM

Question.....

can I hook up my new laptop to my desktop and transfer files to the laptop (photos, music etc) without burning them to a disk first? Is there a USB to USB that will allow me to send the files directly?
Thanks in advance.

StockTrader 01 Jul 2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 55965)
can I hook up my new laptop to my desktop and transfer files to the laptop (photos, music etc) without burning them to a disk first? Is there a USB to USB that will allow me to send the files directly?
Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for the easiest way you can go to your local computer shop and purchase an Ethernet crossover cable.

If you want a more complicated but more flexible path, you can read up on shares your drives across your Home Network. Do you have a cable/DSL router?

Nick

rich76 01 Jul 2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StockTrader (Post 55970)
If you are looking for the easiest way you can go to your local computer shop and purchase an Ethernet crossover cable.

If you want a more complicated but more flexible path, you can read up on shares your drives across your Home Network. Do you have a cable/DSL router?

Nick

I do.That's what I run the laptop on

SiteWolf 02 Jul 2011 11:00 AM

there's always the flash drive route....copy a few gigs at a time to the flash, copy 'em to the laptop....clear the flash and repeat as necessary ;)

rich76 02 Jul 2011 11:34 AM

that's exactly what I started doing....was curious if there was an easier more direct route to take.

SiteWolf 02 Jul 2011 11:48 AM

could also buy an external hard drive and put all that on there....then it's not taking up space on EITHER of your puter's drives....but you can access it all from either puter

rich76 02 Jul 2011 12:18 PM

have one hooked to the desktop....

yon Beast 02 Jul 2011 06:58 PM

i find a 30 gig usb flash drive works the best if using 'other' computers to show/transfer my files....whatever they are.

flash drives are the bomb!!:thumbs:

StockTrader 05 Jul 2011 11:34 AM

The network will be the fastest, hands down. However, it will take the most time to setup -- 30-ish minutes.

Nick

BlackDiamond 14 Jul 2011 09:09 AM

Or you could get something like this.

Adaptor