Jockstocks Forums

Jockstocks Forums (http://forums.jockstocks.com//index.php)
-   Jockstocks Today (http://forums.jockstocks.com//forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NBA Offseason (http://forums.jockstocks.com//showthread.php?t=22468)

ProneEisenrott 12 Jul 2019 11:23 PM

NBA Offseason

Wild one so far.

Anthony Davis (and Boogie Cousins) to the Lakers + Lebron
Westbrook to the Rockets + Harden (minus Chris Paul)
Leonard (and Paul George) to the Clippers (a 48 win team last season)
Durant (and Kyrie Irving) to the Nets (Durant will miss all of next season)
Warriors (minus Durant, Cousins, Klay Thompson most of the season)

I am most interested in the Lakers and Rockets. See how some of these bigger than life personalities can coexist (wait, Harden and Westbrook did share time in OKC a few years ago, along with Durant! How did that team not win a championship?)

I think Philadelphia may end up winning the Eastern Conference, but all of the intrigue seems to be out west.

Here's an interesting fact: if the Lakers (or Clippers) win this year then that will mark the third franchise that Lebron (or Leonard) has led to the NBA title. In NBA history, apart from some role players like Robert Horry, I cannot ever recall a main player/star actually winning championships with 3 different teams. History could be in the making. Maybe an older generation fan can remember someone before 1990 where my NBA memory begins, but I doubt it.

Any predictions for next season?

rich76 13 Jul 2019 04:15 PM

Clippers/76ers in the championship.

ProneEisenrott 13 Jul 2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 98780)
Clippers/76ers in the championship.

Bold prediction. You got a winner?

rich76 14 Jul 2019 08:43 AM

Think I'll wait on that........injuries.

SiteWolf 14 Jul 2019 12:31 PM

Antonio Davis says he'd put the Lakers roster up against anybody.....pretty sure that's what happens for every team every year, yes?

ProneEisenrott 14 Jul 2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiteWolf (Post 98790)
Antonio Davis says he'd put the Lakers roster up against anybody.....pretty sure that's what happens for every team every year, yes?

Maybe in some sports, but in the NBA it is usually pretty clear cut which 5 to 10 teams have a chance at a title. Anyone else would be all bluster and no substance.

bballjer44 14 Jul 2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProneEisenrott (Post 98791)
Maybe in some sports, but in the NBA it is usually pretty clear cut which 5 to 10 teams have a chance at a title. Anyone else would be all bluster and no substance.

NBA is the only sport where the true superstars completely control where they play and who they play with.

SiteWolf 15 Jul 2019 08:22 AM

I was being more literal....every game you play you're putting your team up against the opposing team.

Do you think the NBA product is improved by this increased power players have to pair up?
Or is it another version of what happens in baseball, where the big market teams have the resources to buy up players they need while small market teams simply have to rely primarily on developing enough of their own within a short window to have a real run in the playoffs...like the Royals of a few years ago...

....and actually in this run by the Warriors in the NBA (honestly, what FA wanted to sign in Oakland prior to their drafting the Splash Brothers?)

bballjer44 15 Jul 2019 04:53 PM

In basketball 3 players represent 60% of your starting line-up and you only need about 8 regulars. With so few players in the league it's not hard to fill the roster with good players. Football 3 players get you nowhere. Baseball big payroll makes you relevant almost every year but very few players are that much better every year than each years hot players.

yon Beast 16 Jul 2019 07:39 PM

while all those teams mentioned will be contenders....I'll put my money on the rest of the field :p
thats right....I'm taking none of them to win next year :)

lakers, rockets, clippers, nets and warriors....nope!

ProneEisenrott 16 Jul 2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yon Beast (Post 98797)
while all those teams mentioned will be contenders....I'll put my money on the rest of the field :p
thats right....I'm taking none of them to win next year :)

lakers, rockets, clippers, nets and warriors....nope!

I'll take those teams and give you the rest of the field. Still some solid contenders:

Milwaukee, Portland, Denver could make some waves. You liking anyone (else) in particular?

SiteWolf 16 Jul 2019 10:53 PM

don't sleep on the Jazz.....and I just don't see how the Nets make noise this coming year....Warriors to a lesser extent...both will be missing Durant and the Warriors won't have Thompson either...unless they hang just long enough for him to get back late and start a run