Jockstocks Forums

Jockstocks Forums (http://forums.jockstocks.com//index.php)
-   Techie Corner (http://forums.jockstocks.com//forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone having problems today (http://forums.jockstocks.com//showthread.php?t=18768)

rich76 23 Feb 2014 08:54 AM

Anyone having problems today

with google?

SiteWolf 23 Feb 2014 04:02 PM

what kind of problems were/are you having? my gmail's been fine, have done a few google searches, haven't had an issue

rich76 23 Feb 2014 06:52 PM

it's actually chrome I'm having issues with. Something's up and I'm suspecting it's somehow McAfee's fault. I had no probs until I rebooted after a McAfee update. I've since done two system restores and it's working.........but...........McAfee is wanting me to reboot after the same update..........what to do what to do

SiteWolf 24 Feb 2014 04:31 PM

dump mcafee

StockTrader 10 Mar 2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiteWolf (Post 85068)
dump mcafee

This.

yon Beast 10 Mar 2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich76 (Post 85059)
it's actually chrome I'm having issues with. Something's up and I'm suspecting it's somehow McAfee's fault. I had no probs until I rebooted after a McAfee update. I've since done two system restores and it's working.........but...........McAfee is wanting me to reboot after the same update..........what to do what to do

While I agree Mcafee may be the culprit....I made the change from Chrome and re-installed up to date Firefox! I tell you what!....its my default browser now....loads ridiculously faster than chrome. I don't use Mcafee...but i do have a purchased Avast key which runs all the time with all the bells and whistles.

One other tweak you may want to look at is under system performance...just make sure it is configured for 'programs' and not 'appearance'.

If your browser is causing a problem...then the problem is likely your browser :p

SiteWolf 10 Mar 2014 01:27 PM

FWIW, I have used nothing but Windows Defender (well Microsoft Security Essentials) for at least a couple years...nothing else. Then I have their Malicious Software Removal tool if I need it.

I have never paid for antivirus, I generally obliterate anything Norton or McAfee if I happen to get it on a new puter or whatever....used to use Avast (and I'm sure it's still fine, I just don't need it)....and between my job and researching for JS, I sometimes end up in some interesting corners of the web.....and have had no problem whatsoever.

Pay attention what you download, watch what they try and install, and the web is still a comfortable place to surf.

rich76 10 Mar 2014 05:53 PM

Thanks for all the good advice guys....I appreciate it. I have another one that is still lurking through all this nonsense, and it is this:

Every time (now) that my puter "goes to sleep, when I get home and attempt to awaken it......it takes longer and all my icons are rearranged in the top left corner of my monitor. I drag them all into position and the next time I need to "awaken" it.....they are back to being rearranged. I think this is all related........

anyone?

SiteWolf 10 Mar 2014 06:04 PM

Anti-sleep gnomes?

so what you're saying is...when you 'wake up' your puter, it has returned desktop icons to the default fill-from-top-left situation

wouldn't think that's malware related whatsoever, but clocking out and heading home, will look from there

rich76 10 Mar 2014 06:40 PM

Thanks Orren

SiteWolf 10 Mar 2014 07:14 PM

this is an annoyance some run into with Windows 7, btw

1. right click somewhere on your desktop (not on an icon) and see if autoarrange is checked (under View I think)...if it's checked, uncheck it. In your case, you may want to also uncheck align to grid if it's checked. If you had to uncheck either of them, reboot your puter once they're unchecked. If not, just go to #2

2. If you haven't already, put your icons back where you want them, then right click on the desktop again and click refresh.

In theory, this should save your icons to where you put them and not let your puter to decide to reset them to default

rich76 12 Mar 2014 06:22 PM

I've done what beast advised (re: setting for performance) and unchecked the things you suggested Orren.....went to get on when I came home (wake up puter) and there they were (icons) all up in the upper left corner again. Any other ideas?

Oh yeah.......and I'm still ancient with Vista

yon Beast 12 Mar 2014 07:19 PM

well i had vista ...in the olden days, lol.

Is there not an option with right click on desk top to 'customize desk top'?
Somewhere, I believe there is a box you need to check to move things where you want.
also, you may have a theme running....

SiteWolf 12 Mar 2014 11:26 PM

Vista or Windows 7, the steps should be the same

do you change resolutions often? like to connect a 2nd monitor or TV? that can 'confuse' things

otherwise, it might be a registry thing...there may be 3rd party aps to deal with this, but I hate installing things like that 'cause that is sometimes where issues like this come from in the first place!

yon Beast 05 Jul 2014 11:08 AM

well i am pretty pleased with myself today!
system was getting reaaallly slow. pages taking a long time to load, video and audio freezeups.
I was dumping cookies and history regularly with no success at making things quicker.
for some reason i was in 'Computer' and right click on main drive to see 'properties' and then the 'tools' tab....and the first button there says 'check for errors'. Once clicked, two choices appear...automatically fix file system errors AND scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

I checked both and ran. About 2-1/2 hours later....I have a new machine again. Very quick again.
Jockstock pages load in less than a second now.
It WAS taking many seconds each page

my main hard drive is 80% full and i was trying to create a little more space....while i gained nothing in space I did get my speed back. :)