View Single Post
Unread 22 Mar 2020, 09:39 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

It gets a little weird out, for sure. Even here in SD where there are 14 known cases in the entire state, every one of them traveled recently, one died but had health issues the other 13 I don't believe were even hospitalized......but on St Patricks Day when bars would normally be packed, it was easy to find parking...my brother's bar would normally have 200-300 in it and there were 20--30. Then yesterday, I took advantage of the special hour before my grocery store's new shorter hours set aside for those under 'higher risk', including those 60+ and was amazed that there were 30 people lined up at opening, people still buying like the shelves will be empty (talked to an employee who said they're still getting plenty of most things, but that's starting to change and oddly enough one of the first things that might run out...is chicken). Then I decided to hit a drive thru for breakfast...had to be drive thru, lobby closed....and it took 20 minutes to get it because they made every order as it came in and only had 2 people working.

My brother in Honolulu is irritated Hawaii's governor hasn't done more about thwarting people from still flying in; apparently all he's done is say please reconsider, but people keep coming. They're literally an island and so could contain things, but impossible with tourists still coming. I couldn't imagine sitting in a plane where not only could I not distance myself from people, the air everyone is breathing keeps recirculating (tho there's a possibility I may find out as my sister in WA is losing her battle with cancer).

Meanwhile, my brother raised another question. What happens to kids if they end up missing the last months of a school year? Do they all miss moving up a grade? Even if not, they're missing out. Then there's day care- overloaded often even in normal circumstances, but what about now? Or is that lessened by the fact more parents are on leave or working from home? Then there's the cost to taxpayers to pay for government workers who aren't working or at best not getting all their normal work done if they're working from home....and the pressure on businesses who sometimes are feeling compelled to keep paying employees in the same circumstance.

There's just so many layers to all of this and at this point, when do we feel it's OK to resume normal routines? How soon is too soon?

And by the way, many of us have assumed this virus isn't actually deadly unless your health is questionable and/or you're older. The doctor that originally told the Chinese government about this in Wuhan was neither old or in questionable health...and he died.

So yeah, sucks that there's no sports to watch, but in this time frame that's well down the list of things to worry about.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?