Thread: Ata-6....ide?
View Single Post
Unread 15 Aug 2009, 07:19 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default Ata-6....ide?

Ok, whatever I know about computer hardware this is my first laptop (tho I've had it 4+ years now)....

anyway, my sister picked up a used Gateway laptop...appears to be 6+ years old (it's got a 1.2 processor)...

Little of that matters, really...but her OS failed on her and it appears it's her hard drive.

I believe these are the specs for the bad drive:

IC25N020ATCS04-0 - IBM Travelstar 20GB 4200RPM 2MB Buffer 2.5" IDE Notebook Hard Drive

Specifications

IBM 20GB 2.5-Inch Notebook HDD
20 GB formatted capacity
4200 RPM spindle speed
12 ms average seek time
7.1 ms average latency
UDMA/100
2.5-inch form factor
9.5 mm height

Not that I really need more space or anything, the thought crossed my mind to put THIS hard drive in her laptop and buy a new HD for MY laptop rather than hers...

I believe this is the specs on my drive:

Description

IC25N080ATMR04-0 Hitachi 80GB Laptop Hard Drive

Specifications

* Capacity: 80 GB
* 4200 RPM
* Buffer - 8MB
* Interface: ATA-6
* Seek time: 12.0 ms
* Height: 9.5 mm
* Fluid dynamic bearing motor technology

First questions first (or I could just shut this thing down, pull my HD and look!).....could I even get away with putting this HD in her laptop? I'm just not familiar with ATA-6...still PATA I believe ain't it? which would mean it'd work?

...actually maybe I wouldn't have more questions......I just don't see my sister needing even the 20 gigs she's had, and not seeing anything below 80 available....and I wouldn't mind at least gettin' more speed

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?