Thread: Another blunder
View Single Post
Unread 24 Mar 2007, 02:11 AM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
see this line of thought bothers me greatly. having had the luxury of growing up a military brat and living abroad for a good portion of my life i can honestly say that not once have i experienced anyone voicing hatred for our culture or our way of life. i have however heard on many occassions people voice disdain for our foreign policies. .
While only you know what anyone has said in your presence, to put forward the proposition that our way of life is not at issue anywhere is beyond naive.

I don't find it hard to believe you've never chit chatted with those in power of oppressive regimes. In those societies, it doesn't matter what anyone you met thinks, or says, or feels very much. Not for a moment, most likely not for their lifetimes.

Even as far as that goes, sniping at foreign policy may be your right. It does not, however, make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldzppln View Post
You speak of such matters from a thousand foot view (maybe higher). Fair enough. That's the easy way out - our way or the highway. You're either with us or against us. U.S.A knows best, the rest of the world be damned. Live off the "peace dividend" of our victory in the cold war. The typical NeoCon view.

Though a proud U.S. citizen, born from generations of men who have proudley served - both voluntarily, and when called upon, I fully appreciate the right I have been afforded to oppose such a view point. To suggest those opposed to the current actions of our (misguided) military have a lack of understanding or appreciation of the significance of those who have gone before us is, to put it plainly, B.S.

Your argument that military might is the best/only way to get our point across and have our way with the world is weak on so many (if not every) levels, it can hardly be disputed in one, or a series or posts, here. When you're ready to argue points at an earthly level, let me know. Until then, I'll have to believe that you, like most loyal "Bushies", are out of ammo, and simply waiting... hoping... grasping for something positive to come out of all of this. Good luck with that.
You may be entirely wrong.

My view was from the USS Iwo Jima (named by the way, after the largest loss of Marine life in a single day prior to Beirut). The only reason I know what I know is because I was within a mile of the Beirut blast that day.

Meanwhile, yours involves something akin to entitlement, and genetic code. If you rocketed into space your perspective would be closer than it is.

NeoLib may be sexy, but so were leisure suits once.

You have absolutely NO awareness of my political -or- social views. I never came close to saying anything of the sort that "it's our way or the highway".

Something positive has come from this already. That whole crashing planes into skyscraper and landmark fad seems to have lost steam.

But keep it up... if you had your way it'd be back in vogue, and quick.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.