View Single Post
Unread 21 Jan 2009, 11:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
Wow, this thread got quiet in a hurry...

Good call on the price falling, but where is the post election rise? Prices are still going down, even with production cut. Love to hear what the "prophet" has to say now...

Crude Oil Price Nov 5th: ~$65
Crude Oil Price Jan 19th: ~$36

Gas Prices Nov 5th: ~ $2.35
Gas Prices Jan 19th: ~$1.80
Well, I will admit my prophecy did not come to full fruition and I really don't claim to be a 'prophet' of any sort. But I do have an underlying skepticism of fuel prices and them being artificially manipulated...and that has been my basic premise from the beginning...

And just for a correction on your sitings... Crude Oil Price continues to be low but now fuel prices have begun to rise gas prices in December were at an average of $1.65/gal and are begining to rise, currently at $1.88/gal...so I don't think you can quickly discount my 'prophecy' in that regard ... and in my original 'prophecy' I did state prices would rise in February...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
... and sometime in February oil companies begin to creep their gas prices back up...
So why the increase this time?

It's your standard big oil excuse, refinery issues, even with the crude oil storage in America at near historic highs, big oil just reverts to their classic lines as to why gas prices go up for no apparent reason.

So even though my election outcome was wrong and some will continue to belittle and discredit anything I say from this point, I am man enough to come back and take the heat.

I know I no longer frequent these forums and will likely remain more absent than present ... but for those that know me better and probably understand my tact from the past, my 'prophecy' regarding the election was me essentially guessing the outcome of the election based on the fact that I think most American voters are fairly uninformed and that the 'live in the moment'. I felt at that time, because fuel prices were at historic highs and then making dramatic declines prior to the election seemed like a convenient premise to theorize on how a particular person could win or lose our presidential election merely on a single issue. Was I truly serious in my 'prophecy' ... well partly.

As I stated, my point of contention has been, and continues to be, that I think fuel prices are artificially set and increases as well as decreases in the price of fuel is mostly arbitrary. Big oil excuses for any movement in oil has been accepted by most and never questioned, yet if a person looks deeper into the oil industry - the worldwide oil industry - one can see how prices can be 'fixed', incredible profits being made and little questions ever being asked. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for free enterprise and capitalism, but the oil industry (again, the worldwide oil industry) has been able to monopolize itself which does not promote free enterprise or an open market competition within the industry. The oil industry has essentially evolved into several banks and other wealthy corporations conglomerate themselves to essentially control this product. It is then us, the end consumers, who are the ones that take the brunt of any decisions the oil industry makes regarding their prices and I, for one, am tired of hearing the same old excuses dragged out anytime the oil industry wants to increase prices with blank acceptance from the media, government and consumers.

So yes, my prophecy, as a whole, was incorrect...but my prophecy, as I stated, was more of a correlating effect that I thought could be a possibility. Sure, I may have touted my prophecy with a bit of bravado but in reality, it was more of me trying to correlate 2 events with each other and less of me trying to appear as some sort of mystic that can see into the future ... I am a very pragmatic person and I do not believe in such things to begin with. If I would have simply came out and said, I think this is what is going to happen and left it at that, we wouldn't have a 4 page thread that has caught people's attention and sparked a continued discussion for 5 months. It would have simply had a few 'You're Crazy' and 'Put Down The Pipe' responses (that I typically receive when posting in these forums in the past) and be left at that.

I do realize that these forums are filled with a 'fickle' bunch with very little leeway towards just having a 'conversation' and any misstep will be displayed prominently and mocked without end ... and you can see by the participation amongst your members on these very forums the positive effect that has had (/end sarcasm). I have found other forums to frequent where a person can 'get away' with the type of posts that I make... which are often laced with satire, idiocy and humor in attempts to show the absurdity ... and I will reserve my commentary to those places where, sure, it may be seen just as absurd there as here, but elsewhere people understand my tact...and as they may mock or disagree with my overall points, at least can pull out the portions that 'make sense' to them or at the very least turn it into a dialogue that most everyone can participate. Here, an attempt to expand the conversation past mainstream media talking points is usually greeted with a barrage of negativity and attempts to squash any conversation before it even begins.

So if you want to devalue my prophetic claims, I am willing to accept that ... heck, I have yet to pick the Cards in the playoffs, so I know how good of a soothsayer I am ... and I will leave it at that...