View Single Post
Unread 21 Jan 2012, 02:19 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
How to purchase Windows Vista:
Microsoft no longer sells Windows Vista, though we will continue to support it.
Visit your local or online retailer to buy a PC with Windows Vista.
Desktop operating systems /Latest service pack /End of mainstream support /End of extended support

Windows XP
Service Pack 3
April 14, 2009
April 8, 2014

Windows Vista
Service Pack 2
April 10, 2012
April 11, 2017

Windows 7 has been thrust upon me at this point.
I took the time to try and understand the difference between an 'OEM' copy and a 'Retail' copy.
the price difference is substantial...yet is the same program.

I found this comment...
Quote:
retail - you can install on any number of pcs but only one at a time and you can upgrade it and it wont ask you to renter the cd key

oem - you can only install on one pc and it stays with that pc and if you do a big upgrade it will invalidate it and you have to call up india
I would like to think that this is my last computer....but that would be border line incompetency.
My options are narrowing down, but I quite sure Win 7 is in my very near future
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)