View Single Post
Unread 26 Jan 2020, 01:25 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

One question I asked myself was.......how much is it worth to me to be able to walk into work every day and NOT have a boss who treats me like she's glad I'm there getting the work done, but doesn't want anything to do with me? A decent amount, but I still need the money to work.

By struggle in retirement, are you meaning retirement plan? I can keep my current plan, even add to it, I'd just no longer get a match from the state of course....and we'll need to work on the owner 'cause nobody's currently getting a match there.

My Jeep does just fine.....26+ on the highway, my current combined mileage (haven't reset since I bought it) is just under 25.

Advancement isn't the question, bonuses/salary increases may be...all I can go on is what my new boss (whom I trust) knows/believes to be true. The owner basically wants to be able to go back to being semi-retired, and has said he'll reward the people that help that happen.

I was vested re retirement at 4 years...that's why I can keep the plan, even contribute to it. There's even the potential I could draw from it without penalty/tax hit if I put it directly into buying a house within 2 months....but I don't know that buying is logical anyway.

Monthly costs will increase.....several thousand if I move into a house, which I'd prefer (vs the apartment I'm currently in and got a good deal on).....so yes, eats into some of the upfront salary increase, but being in a house is another part of bettering my quality of life (like changing bosses).

Basically, where I'm at is....I don't know another way I can get away from my current boss (or no guarantee of it anyway)....but it's not a last ditch effort, I already know I like the guy I'll work with day to day, we've already done it for 4 years. I know a lot more people there than I'll ever know here. I'm getting more comfortable about that part all the time.

What remains otherwise is the where....the town of 25k I lived in for 20 years or the town of 800 the company is in. There's nothing to rent there, so to live there means buying. Buying a modular/mobile home is more doable, but none would come with a garage or basement to have the wood shop I'd like to have again.

Or, where I'm leaning now....renting in the town of 25k so I'm not making a too quick decision to buy, but knowing I'm setting myself up for the 20 mile daily commute...at least here 20 miles means 20 minutes, not like it would be in a city.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?

Jockstocks Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The Jockstocks Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the forums.jockstocks.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The forums.jockstocks.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.