Thread: Why We Fight
View Single Post
Unread 28 Mar 2007, 02:57 AM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Default Why We Fight

I saw a great documentary tonight on CBC's The Passionate Eye. It's called "Why We Fight" and is about Eisenhower's warning of a "Military Industrial Complex". A government politico myself, I can attest to the truthfulness in what this documentary is saying.

Regardless of your political beliefs, this is worth watching. It's not about parties, it's about something bigger.

Please watch the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf1CDmn8q0M

Synopsis:

He may have been the ultimate icon of 1950s conformity and postwar complacency, but Dwight D. Eisenhower was an iconoclast, visionary, and the Cassandra of the New World Order. Upon departing his presidency, Eisenhower issued a stern, cogent warning about the burgeoning "military industrial complex," foretelling with ominous clarity the state of the world in 2004 with its incestuous entanglement of political, corporate, and Defense Department interests.
The film describes the rise and maintenance of the United States military-industrial complex while concentrating on wars led by the United States of the last fifty years and in particular on the 2003 Invasion of Iraq. It alleges that every decade since World War II, the American public has been told a lie to bring it into war to fuel the military-economic machine, which in turn maintains American dominance in the world. It includes interviews with John McCain, Chalmers Johnson, Richard Perle, William Kristol, Gore Vidal and Joseph Cirincione. The film also incorporates the stories of a Vietnam War veteran whose son died in the September 11, 2001 attacks and then had his son's name written on a bomb dropped on Iraq, a 23-year old New York man who enlists in the United States Army citing his financial troubles after his only family member died, and a former Vietnameserefugee who now develops explosives for the American military