Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

View Poll Results: Should a stock split change a stock's max share limit?
YES, let all who can afford it trade stock splits at 100,000 share limit 11 30.56%
I can see giving it a try- maybe just NHL for now to see 8 22.22%
I think it should be discussed more before we do that 3 8.33%
I don't really like the idea. 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 31 Jan 2011, 07:06 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default Should we allow splits to be traded?

OK, you may/may not have seen/participated in the discussion but we've talked some about allowing stock splits to be bought and sold...AT max shares.

IF we did it, it would be allowed at 100k max shares for those stocks, with stocks splitting to 1mil being either sold down to 100k max, as we have been, or even sold down so that they are no longer splits. That part isn't really my question tonight, however.

My question is....do you like that idea? Should we test that idea with NHL (since they're already set to 100k for amnesty anyway)? Or do you think it should be discussed further? Or you just don't like the idea...

Vote in the poll and add your thoughts if you'd like.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 02 Feb 2011, 06:17 PM
JSAdmin

Small quandry for me now....

I started NHL amnesty Saturday, forgot about ending it Monday night before the server maintenance thing.....and, since I'm one of the LAST people to regain access, currently NHL stocks are set to allow 100k buys.

...and we have mixed thoughts on doing this ongoing

so, at this point I'm thinking of allowing you to daytrade 100k shares of these stocks at least for the next couple days while we continue to discuss (rather than shut it off when some might have thought we WERE allowing them to be daytraded)

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 03 Feb 2011, 10:12 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

okay so am I correct in assuming that 100k shares are in play? and if you should decide to retract that option you will of course let us know ahead of time so that we can buy back any shares we've sold off correct? just making sure no one ends up screwing themselves by missing out on the specifics.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 04 Feb 2011, 12:01 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
okay so am I correct in assuming that 100k shares are in play? and if you should decide to retract that option you will of course let us know ahead of time so that we can buy back any shares we've sold off correct? just making sure no one ends up screwing themselves by missing out on the specifics.
correct....for now, hockey 'amnesty' continues and, should we decide that is not to be ongoing, people will get at least a couple days' advance notice

Unread 05 Feb 2011, 07:54 AM
#3 of 80+ trillionaires!

I think it is working well so far, but activity would be encouraged even more if moo was turned back up for those splitters - even the larger volume would be more encouraging with a larger moo
Unread 05 Feb 2011, 10:13 AM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrune56 View Post
I think it is working well so far, but activity would be encouraged even more if moo was turned back up for those splitters - even the larger volume would be more encouraging with a larger moo
IMO raising moo is not a good idea.
Unread 05 Feb 2011, 11:13 AM
JSAdmin

the moo will grow on it's own, now with quarterlies going/growing

I raised it rather noticeably earlier in January....but with only small monthlies and semi-active at best TV trading going, it didn't appear so

there will always be those who want the moo cranked and those who don't..........that's why I've been disappointed that more don't play Pick 10...basically a no moo monthly

Unread 05 Feb 2011, 11:52 AM
#3 of 80+ trillionaires!

the moo was raised for splitters too?

I am having trouble seeing why anyone would not want moo raised or made the same for splitters. I often make my buys in the morning, so evening buyers would do better, but I would gain on dormant ports and buy-and-holders, which is the most frustrating. Wouldn't it be better to do anything to encourage activity and reward active traders (20000 share max, PGA splitters in play, etc)?

Unread 05 Feb 2011, 12:08 PM
JSAdmin

there is no difference in moo from one stock to another- split or not

moo is strictly a per share change....the only difference is, we put a cap on 'anti-moo' so that someone selling a bunch of splits (which we haven't had in a long time but occasionally was the way a person would say good bye, etc) wouldn't cause others to lose so many millions

Unread 05 Feb 2011, 12:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
there is no difference in moo from one stock to another- split or not
I disagree. I bought 100k of a splitter and the price onlyy .07%, which is the exact percentage for a 10k buy of a non-splitter.

I think the moo has somehow been capped on a per-transaction basis rather than per share.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 05 Feb 2011, 01:51 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProneEisenrott View Post
I disagree. I bought 100k of a splitter and the price onlyy .07%, which is the exact percentage for a 10k buy of a non-splitter.

I think the moo has somehow been capped on a per-transaction basis rather than per share.
hmm....you know, you may be right....

Now that I think about it, I think it might be set up that moo/antimoo has it built into the code to be the same for shares over 10k as it is for 10k shares.....which is basically a cap per transaction

Fuzzy memories says I asked Shawn to work up code so this cap was only in place for sells, but now I remember...there's no excessive moo during amnesties, so....

Unread 05 Feb 2011, 03:42 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrune56 View Post
the moo was raised for splitters too?

I am having trouble seeing why anyone would not want moo raised or made the same for splitters. I often make my buys in the morning, so evening buyers would do better, but I would gain on dormant ports and buy-and-holders, which is the most frustrating. Wouldn't it be better to do anything to encourage activity and reward active traders (20000 share max, PGA splitters in play, etc)?
Dormant and buys-and-holders own everything, so they benefit from the moo. Anything that benefit them I am against.
Unread 05 Feb 2011, 08:49 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
Dormant and buys-and-holders own everything, so they benefit from the moo. Anything that benefit them I am against.
So, if a stock's price were reduced, say, .1% every day when the market resets at noon, would that make some sense? Yes, it would effect your holdings as well.....but, the more actively you trade, the fewer stocks you're holding at reset. And...if you're active, you won't hold offseason stocks because...they'll get dinged .1% every day when the market resets. If I hold everybody I'm getting dinged on near 2500 stocks...if you hold only inseason stocks and do some daytrading, you may only be holding 250.

No, it's not a lot...but it'd add up.

Unread 05 Feb 2011, 10:09 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
So, if a stock's price were reduced, say, .1% every day when the market resets at noon, would that make some sense? Yes, it would effect your holdings as well.....but, the more actively you trade, the fewer stocks you're holding at reset. And...if you're active, you won't hold offseason stocks because...they'll get dinged .1% every day when the market resets. If I hold everybody I'm getting dinged on near 2500 stocks...if you hold only inseason stocks and do some daytrading, you may only be holding 250.

No, it's not a lot...but it'd add up.
Dinging offseason stocks, I don't get it. Why should we sell everything because the season ends? Inseason a little easier to take, but I don't agree it is right to 'tax' holdings. A tax is on profits, not worth. As I have said for years, the problem is the neg divis are way too low, plus divis too high, and all stocks have an upward trend.
Unread 05 Feb 2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
Dinging offseason stocks, I don't get it. Why should we sell everything because the season ends? Inseason a little easier to take, but I don't agree it is right to 'tax' holdings. A tax is on profits, not worth. As I have said for years, the problem is the neg divis are way too low, plus divis too high, and all stocks have an upward trend.
"and all stocks have an upward trend"..that is true ONLY in the PGA sector bud.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no