Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 05 Jun 2010, 10:09 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default World Cup contest?

The question has been asked and I would be more than willing to do it....if I could figure out how to...

I could run a World Cup Pick'em like we've run March Madness........but the problem is, soccer games actually end in ties...

I'm still thinking thru whether there might still be a way to tweak things to work....but while I do that, I'd be curious..

.....how many of you would be willing to participate?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 05 Jun 2010, 10:59 AM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Me me me me!
Unread 05 Jun 2010, 02:38 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i'd be more than willing

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 05 Jun 2010, 04:28 PM
GM

if you're concerned about ties, why not wait til the knock out stage, none of those games will end in ties.

i might suggest a pick em version for group play with a bracket for the knock out stage, unless that's too much work.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 06 Jun 2010, 12:55 AM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
The question has been asked and I would be more than willing to do it....if I could figure out how to...

I could run a World Cup Pick'em like we've run March Madness........but the problem is, soccer games actually end in ties...

I'm still thinking thru whether there might still be a way to tweak things to work....but while I do that, I'd be curious..

.....how many of you would be willing to participate?
Three choices per game, the third being tie.
Unread 06 Jun 2010, 01:04 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
Three choices per game, the third being tie.
Easily done....only shouldn't it be worth more points for picking a win versus picking a tie?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 06 Jun 2010, 01:36 AM
GO STEELERS!

I'm interested...

USA! USA! USA! USA!

(not really, cheering for Argentina and Italy)
Unread 06 Jun 2010, 04:33 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

Count me in.
Unread 06 Jun 2010, 12:54 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Easily done....only shouldn't it be worth more points for picking a win versus picking a tie?
I don't think so. You are not getting a pickem point because you 'won', but because you predicted the outcome. If anything you should get more pickem points for predicting an underdog to win. Not that I'm saying to do that.
Unread 06 Jun 2010, 01:00 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
I don't think so. You are not getting a pickem point because you 'won', but because you predicted the outcome. If anything you should get more pickem points for predicting an underdog to win. Not that I'm saying to do that.
have to agree. if you're going to include the three options then seems you only should get points for choosing the correct outcome. that said, if you go with the current set up, then ties are moot since we already have an "everyone wins" policy in effect for ties in pick em.

Unread 06 Jun 2010, 07:25 PM
JSAdmin

Well that's just it......how often would you select Tie as your actual pick? Or, if we went the way we do for normal Pick'em, in a tie, everyone gets the point.

I'm more than willing to do this, don't get me wrong...I'd just like to do it in a way participants enjoy it.

So, without making changes to the system (which, at this point, I'm not sure could happen 'cause I don't know what it would involve) which would be the preference?

Option 1 being...each game has 3 options- team A, team B, or tie....you only get the point if you make the correct selection

OR

Option 2....like normal Pick'em- 2 options...if the match ends in a tie, everyone gets a point

I may also need help finding the schedule and scores....tho happyyak sent me what I assume is the schedule for group play...if that lasts about a week or so.......then I'd just need Nick to activate a leaderboard.

Another question being....will our noon cutoff be an issue? I mean I don't want guys to be able to make picks just before noon and already know an outcome....

Unread 06 Jun 2010, 11:11 PM
Head Coach

I have no preference for either scoring option. I know NOTHING about World Cup soccer, so I can't answer any questions you have.
Unread 07 Jun 2010, 12:49 AM
GO STEELERS!

How about just for the first round, why not just count goals? 1-3 or 4+. You know there aren't going to be THAT many goals scored. Right?
Unread 07 Jun 2010, 12:51 AM
GM

Quote:
Well that's just it......how often would you select Tie as your actual pick? Or, if we went the way we do for normal Pick'em, in a tie, everyone gets the point.

I'm more than willing to do this, don't get me wrong...I'd just like to do it in a way participants enjoy it.

So, without making changes to the system (which, at this point, I'm not sure could happen 'cause I don't know what it would involve) which would be the preference?

Option 1 being...each game has 3 options- team A, team B, or tie....you only get the point if you make the correct selection

OR

Option 2....like normal Pick'em- 2 options...if the match ends in a tie, everyone gets a point

I may also need help finding the schedule and scores....tho happyyak sent me what I assume is the schedule for group play...if that lasts about a week or so.......then I'd just need Nick to activate a leaderboard.

Another question being....will our noon cutoff be an issue? I mean I don't want guys to be able to make picks just before noon and already know an outcome....
I prefer option 2.

Early games begin at 10 am EST. So will be finished before noon on the day they're scheduled.

Here is the link for all group play games

Here is the link for the knock out stage schedule

Unread 07 Jun 2010, 08:06 AM
JSAdmin

So if early games would be done by noon, how do we handle that?