Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 20 Jun 2009, 08:43 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default Rename the Cy Young?

Gordon Edes has an interesting article with some great points. I'm inclined to agree with him based on the stats and the reality of the players in question. Was just wondering what you all thought?

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 20 Jun 2009, 10:00 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Not a horrible idea.

Perhaps creating an annual award to honor an active pitchers' career accomplishments would work as well.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 21 Jun 2009, 02:15 AM
GO STEELERS!

Maybe I'm a little biased here because I liked Fiddler on a Roof, but I'm a fan of tradition. It's tradition for goodness sake. Cy Young was a stud on the mound (no pun intended) . Renaming the Cy Young renames the legacy for which great pitching was founded upon.

I think that tradition in sports plays a HUGE part of what goes on. New York and Los Angeles are primary cities for any players because they're historically a huge financial market. If it weren't for tradition, we might as well hold the Kentucky Derby in Kansas, or hold the Indy 500 in Idaho. The Cy Young should stay. Just my two cents.
Unread 21 Jun 2009, 03:03 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

I agree with the "water boy" that the Cy Young should stay as the Cy Young. None of the modern pitchers can pitch as well or complete as many games as the old timers could. I am refering to back about 50 years or so. In those times pitchers completed most of there games they did not rely on pitch count, they relied on finesnes(?) not speed to throw the ball. Also in those days there were very few wild pitches or passed ball as there is now days.
Unread 21 Jun 2009, 05:14 AM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirds View Post
I agree with the "water boy" that the Cy Young should stay as the Cy Young. None of the modern pitchers can pitch as well or complete as many games as the old timers could. I am refering to back about 50 years or so. In those times pitchers completed most of there games they did not rely on pitch count, they relied on finesnes(?) not speed to throw the ball. Also in those days there were very few wild pitches or passed ball as there is now days.

It's finesse.

Some of Cy Young's records will NEVER be broken:

511 Wins (1st all time)
815 Games Started (1st all-time)
749 Complete Games (1st all-time)
76 Shutouts (1st all-time)
7,356.0 Innings Pitched (1st all-time)

Okay, so he's 20th all-time with 2,803 on Strikeouts, and tied for 33rd all-time with a 2.63 career ERA, the most prestigious pitching award should be named after the most prestigious pitcher of all-time. Period.
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 12:17 AM
6th Round Draft Pick

I say leave it or maybe retire that award and maybe come up with the Nolan Ryan maybe.
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 03:27 AM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYBAN View Post
I say leave it or maybe retire that award and maybe come up with the Nolan Ryan maybe.

I can understand renaming an award if someone's record(s) have been surpassed, but why not just call the season's strikeout leader the "Ryan Award" winner?
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 06:13 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Along that line, I've always thought it silly for non-starters to be considered for the Cy Young.......largely because it's apples and oranges to compare what a starter does to what a closer does for his team.

Yes, there's the Rolaids award, but IMO there needs to be a relievers equivalent to the Cy to separate them from starters.

And I'd also agree that it'd be great on several levels for Satchel to be honored in some way...just don't think taking Cy's name off is the way.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 10:10 AM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
Along that line, I've always thought it silly for non-starters to be considered for the Cy Young.......largely because it's apples and oranges to compare what a starter does to what a closer does for his team.

Yes, there's the Rolaids award, but IMO there needs to be a relievers equivalent to the Cy to separate them from starters.

And I'd also agree that it'd be great on several levels for Satchel to be honored in some way...just don't think taking Cy's name off is the way.
So you're saying offer up an award like The Hoffman? The [Lee] Smith? The Eckersley? The K-Rod?
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 06:06 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20guy View Post
So you're saying offer up an award like The Hoffman? The [Lee] Smith? The Eckersley? The K-Rod?
KRod doesn't even deserve to be mentioned as a top ACTIVE closer, let alone all time...

Therein lies a problem. Relievers as a whole didn't really even come into being (or at least as far as the save statistic) until the last few decades....and it's hard to name an award after someone so recently in uniform.

Another problem being, it's even harder with relievers than starters to judge who was 'the best'. Lee Smith was the saves leader until Trevor Hoffman surpassed him, but he's barely considered in the top 10 all time in most rankings. 2 others are over 400 saves- John Franco and now Mariano Rivera. But are ANY of those 4 the best ever? To some Hoffman or Rivera might be.....but Eckersley may have been more dominant, just didn't record as many saves since he was a STARTER for 12 years before even being put in the bullpen full time.

One thing is sure- Rolaids Reliever of the Year just doesn't have the cache the Cy Young does.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?