Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 16 Jun 2008, 12:26 AM
GM

Default Obama

Mr. "I can do no wrong" Obama has a wonderful little tax plan.

Only people over $227,001 will be paying more in taxes under his little plan courtesy of a little chart by CNN.

Income Avg. tax bill
Over $2.9M +$701,885
$603K and up +$115,974
$227K-$603K +$12
$161K-$227K -$2,789
$112K-$161K -$2,204
$66K-$112K -$1,290
$38K-$66K -$1,042
$19K-$38K -$892
Under $19K -$567

Story Here

And then comes along this little story about how much taxes some people making over $200,000 actually pay in federal taxes. The answer to this is $0.

But it only gets better. The article points out one of the reasons why.

"It's an interesting case study on how people find ways to avoid paying taxes,"

And this article gives several examples of changes in the tax code around the time of Katrina that makes this even possible that a person making over $200,000 could pay zero in federal income taxes.

So let's see Obama wants the rich to pay more in taxes by his tax policy.

But some of the rich have already found some ways to pay 0$ in federal taxes.

I just wonder as well how many ways a person of means has to actually avoid paying federal taxes?

Story Here

So we have here a person that runs around and say he is a different kind of politician and during his very first week during the general election he brings out the old very old class warfare card.

This is just simply amazing to me.

I dare say there will be many other example of Obama being the same old type of politician that people have learned to loath.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 16 Jun 2008, 12:28 AM
GM

And this thread is not about me liking or disliking Obama. I could actually care less. This thread will be about Obama being just another politician plain and simple.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 29 Jun 2008, 01:53 PM
GM

Why would Obama think he needs to "pad" his foreign policy experience by visiting Europe, the Middle East, and throw in a little trip to Afghanistan as well.

Several questions about this pop into my mind.

Will Obama's trip really help him gain foreign policy experience or not?

And it is sort of a wash if the answer is yes because just this past March McCain also visited Iraq as well.

What kind of other things does Obama thinks he need to improve on?

And I can't wait for his answer to why he did this in the first place.

This story tells some reasons why but for the life of me I can't figure out what is what.

Just as one example is the reason to visit Iraq for Obama for American national security reasons?

And as the article points out that Obama definitely needs to visit Iraq so that he can figure out if it is even doable to get the troops out of Iraq in sixteen months.

I am sure latter on Obama will promise to have us out of Iraq long before around May 1, 2010. Hopefully he can get us out of completely out of Iraq by this time next year at the very latest.

Story Here

Unread 29 Jun 2008, 02:16 PM
Coach

I remember back in the doldrums of the primaries between Texas/Ohio and Pennsylvania Obama was saying he was going to try to visit Europe/Middle East/Japan back then, but that didnt materialize for some reason I never came across.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 05 Jul 2008, 12:28 PM
GM

So what has mr. you want change and I am so going to give it to you been doing lately.

Now that the democrat primary season is over he is saying some things in Washington are o.k. after all.

Obama all of a sudden think that the eavesdropping on terrorists is not such a bad idea at all.

Obama really likes N.A.F.T.A after he criticized Mrs. Clinton for her support of it during the democrat primary season. How could Mrs. Clinton not like a policy that her husband was a champion of?

Obama supports the recent Supreme Court decision that bans the ban of handguns in the District of Columbia.

Obama also supports faith based initiative efforts as well now.

Will Obama be changing his pledge about Iraq after he visits there latter on this summer?

And as we all know Obama is the very first politician to change his mind after a primary season is over; because if not he is like every other political nominee that will say anything in order to get elected no matter what. And of course as we all know that is a very new notion about a politician as well.

Story Here

Unread 05 Jul 2008, 03:11 PM

Here is an ironically hypocritical verbatum quote from Mr. Obama:

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you join with me as we try to change it."

Can't wait................
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 05 Jul 2008, 06:51 PM
Coach

Wow that article is a bunch of unsubstantiated BS. The gist of the article is "Obama is moving to the center because I say he is" and gives zero proof to back up his point (well it is from a Murdoch owned paper).

The FISA thing will be interesting when that vote comes up in the senate. He's stressed his community organizing background throughout the campaign, and the biggest organization (group) in his community (social networking site) is for people who want him to vote against the bill (last I looked it had more than 18,000 people in it, but that was before the holiday).

Unread 04 Aug 2008, 09:48 AM
GM

I must mentions a few things about Obama's speech in Berlin on July 24, 2008.

Obama said a few things we should never forget such as.

"In this new world [where terrorism does exist], such dangerous currents have swept along faster than our efforts to contain them. That is why we cannot afford to be divided. No one nation, no matter how large or powerful, can defeat such challenges alone. None of us can deny these threats, or escape responsibility in meeting them."

Obama continues, "This is the moment when we must defeat terror and dry up the well of extremism that supports it. This threat is real and we cannot shrink from our responsibility to combat it."

This is the conclusion of Obama's speech in Berlin, "People of Berlin – and people of the world – the scale of our challenge is great. The road ahead will be long. But I come before you to say that we are heirs to a struggle for freedom. We are a people of improbable hope. With an eye toward the future, with resolve in our hearts, let us remember this history, and answer our destiny, and remake the world once again."

But I must mention something else about these three things. In classic Obama style oh wait it really is just classic political rhetoric that Obama says these things. And I could say the exact same thing about McCain as well he or his handlers say many different things that are just rhetoric as well. But I also must go back to one of the reasons that Obama gives for people to actually go out and vote for him and that is he is so above being a politician and he is not really like other politicians at all.

I must go back to the accomplishments of this particular congress. What are some of the things that this congress has done to make sure we meet these threats that even Obama says are very real?

And people wonder why I discuss the accomplishments of this congress so far in the other thread. The main reason is to show that this congress and yes even many congresses before it focus on some things and not other things. And as I have said before there is a very broad range of things that we should be worried about this particular time in history. Why is what I just said important in the first place? Because the president most of the time can only do things that the congress gives him to sign.

I have to mention one other thing that just makes me wonder. I think part of it really is that it is just so poorly constructed I just wonder what Obama really means by this,

"These are the aspirations that joined the fates of all nations in this city. These aspirations are bigger than anything that drives us apart. It is because of these aspirations that the airlift began. It is because of these aspirations that all free people – everywhere – became citizens of Berlin. It is in pursuit of these aspirations that a new generation – our generation – must make our mark on the world."

I would just hope that people would not take it literally that all free people became citizens of Berlin during the Berlin airlift in 1948. And for some reason I am sure many people did. As I said it just makes me wonder what Obama meant by this. It could well be that Obama thinks we should all come together like we did during the Berlin airlift and Obama hopes the togetherness like what happened during the Berlin airlift will happen yet again. I know I am not making much sense and that is part of the problem for me. I truly do not know what Obama meant by what he said.

Here is the speech in its entirety from the New York Times. Newspaper Websites do tend to let some things expire after a certain time period so if it does not come up latter on someone just tell me and I will find another source. Or people could just goog it on their own if necessary.

Obama's Berlin Speech

Unread 05 Aug 2008, 11:27 AM
GM

Well it appears that Obama is a little late in making a decision on what best to do get us less dependent on foreign oil.

So what exactly is Obama's brilliant plan?

"limited new offshore drilling"

"Obama, who as recently as last month argued against tapping the petroleum reserve, proposed that the government sell 70 million barrels of oil from the stockpile and said past release from the reserve have lowered gas prices within two weeks."

"pass a policy that provides $1,000 energy rebates and invests in renewable energy"

So just to recap to make it easier to read.

1. Limited offshore drilling.
2. Use part of the strategic petroleum reserve.
3. Provide $1,000 energy rebates.
4. Invest in renewable energy.

So what renewable energy should we be investing our time and money doing? I seem to remember our last brilliant plan for renewable energy was ethanol and about the only reason for it was it was a very clean source of energy but we might as well move right along to hydrogen now. So let's see using a source of energy that is also used to make bombs as well that makes perfect sense to me. And I have no idea about this but how easy is it to collect hydrogen in order to make it into an energy source in the first place? Hydrogen is a very good energy source because it is even a cleaner fuel than ethanol. I am trying to remember how ethanol is working out?

And the Obama plan shows me a couple of things though. Obama does not have any more ability than McCain when it comes to solving the country's problems which I might remind people McCain is also very lacking in this area as well.

I wonder where Obama got these ideas from? All four parts of Obama's plan scream Washington as usual to me.

Story Here

I think I need to cut way back on this crap. I have been on an even faster pace than when talking about Mrs. Clinton. I think people could surmise how I feel about Obama. And don't even get me started on McCain.

I am sure even if I only did an Obama story once per week I will have plenty of choices to choose from for the next little over three months from now.

Reason: Made it easier to read. Can't spell the word Obama for some reason.
Unread 05 Aug 2008, 09:05 PM
Coach

Thats what the guys at Comedy Central are for, to lighten the load to the inanity of continuous campaigning.

Colbert absolutely nails it, this country NEEDS Brittany for President

Edit: And apparantly Paris is running for Prez as well. Hmmm Rihanna for veep....she cant sing, but boy can she dance

Unread 06 Aug 2008, 08:21 AM
GM

Thank you -mmm- for that.

And the scary thing is that the people would probably think Paris makes some sense when she talks about combining the two candidates energy plans.

I will try not to even pay attention to this crap that is being put in front of the people.

Well there will be a few things I might want to mentions towards the end of this month; and I will even try to watch a little bit of the first debate which is still about seven weeks away.

Other than that I will try to stay away. But there is a little problem with that. It is kind of hard to stay away from this crap when I have about half a dozen McBama political advertisements each and every day. Well I could just not watch television. In fact that may be a very good idea indeed.

I sure do hope that if I get almost all of my news from the Internet I will be able to figure out who Obama's Vice President candidate is going to be.

And this will not be the first time I must go on a television "diet" which just means I stay as far away as possible during an election year as well. I guess I will just pretend that television is like the evening news. I have not watched even a full segment of the evening news since Ms. Couric blessed us with her presence about eleven months ago.

No wonder I have Google as my homepage. I don't have to even pay attention if I don't want to.

Unread 06 Aug 2008, 09:19 AM
GM

I guess I should probably explain my McBama comment.

Neither one of these presidential candidates will really change Washington at all.

Well actually Obama would but only for the short term and we have many long term problems. Obama will just get us out of Iraq just for the reason we so need to get out of Iraq and really focus on Afghanistan. I keep asking the very basic question though. Is Afghanistan the only place on Earth where the war on terror is? I seem to remember during his Berlin speech Obama even talked about some of the 9/11 people did some of their plotting in Germany. This is from Obma's Berlin speech, "The terrorists of September 11th plotted in Hamburg and trained in Kandahar and Karachi before killing thousands from all over the globe on American soil." I am just trying to remember if Hamburg which is in Germany is anywhere near Afghanistan?

Then after Obama gets us out of Iraq he will want to focus on domestic issues at home and talk to the rest of the world and in some cases talk face to face with leaders from around the world and that will be enough to solve all of our problems.

I think the real reason I called them McBama was that I just have an extremely negative reaction to both of them and the main reason is that I don't think either one of them will really be focused on all of the problems that so need solving in the first place; and the reason is that the congress can not seem to get its act together no matter whom is running either body for that matter and as I have said before I think both parties will find short term solutions to long term problems and this is nothing that is even close to being new though. As I have discussed recently there is a long list of those problems which in some cases are even difficult to deal with because of what they involve such as the war on terror but we are going to have to deal with these problems eventually.

Unread 06 Aug 2008, 04:02 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
But there is a little problem with that. It is kind of hard to stay away from this crap when I have about half a dozen McBama political advertisements each and every day. Well I could just not watch television. In fact that may be a very good idea indeed.
I feel sorry for you folks in swing states where both candidates are plastering the airwaves with commercials (ie Missouri, Iowa, Virginia, Colorado), or even a state where one candidate is plastering the airwaves (Obama has spent about $5mil in Florida on tv ads thus far). I had McCain ads all over the tv for awhile earlier this summer, but than a bunch of polls showed Obama had a double digit lead here and those ads disappeared, and I hope it more or less stays that way, just for my own sanity for when Im watching non-TIVOed television.