Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 10 Sep 2008, 01:19 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco
Default You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig - Barack Hussein Obama

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's comments that "you can put lipstick on a pig" were "offensive and disgraceful", his rival John McCain's campaign said.

Mr Obama's reference to an earlier joke by Mr McCain's running mate Sarah Palin came as he intensified his criticism of the Republican ticket, challenged the notion they offered change and said a McCain presidency would be like four more years of President George Bush.

Mrs Palin compared herself with a "pit bull in lipstick" during her high-profile acceptance speech at her party's national convention last week.

"You can put lipstick on a pig," he said to an outbreak of laughter, shouts and raucous applause from an audience in Virginia.

"It's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."

In a new attack advert called "Lipstick", the McCain-Palin campaign said Mr Obama was only "ready to smear", not lead.

A McCain campaign spokesman called Mr Obama's comments "offensive and disgraceful".

Jane Swift, chairwoman of the newly-formed Palin Truth Squad, said: "It's clear to me - as I'm sure it will be to fair-minded Republicans, Democrats and independents across the country - that Senator Obama owes Governor Palin an apology."

Mr Obama's campaign said he was not referring to Mrs Palin and said the Republican camp was engaging in a "pathetic attempt to play the gender card".

The spokesman also noted that Mr McCain once used the same phrase to describe Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan.

Article

---

Not only he is being sexist, but he is being ageist. The comments are way out of line and uncalled for.

If McCain or Palin would of made a comment along the lines of calling him a 'boy' or eating watermelon or chicken it would of been run into the ground and McCain would of been eaten alive from the press and Obama. But, its okay if the chosen one, god him self speaks these things... Its 'ok'.

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 02:42 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

no actually it's not ok. it was uncalled for and he should be called out on it. especially after we heard about his desire to run on issues and agenda not on politics of attack and mudslinging.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 02:49 PM
All Pro

It seems like the more things change in the political arena the more they stay the same.
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 03:38 PM
Coach

Funny how partisanship works.

When McCain said that a year ago in regards to Hilary, no uproar from the right. Now uproar from people who have suddenly found political correctness when it favors their candidate.

I think one guy said it best:

Quote:
It’s an old expression, and I’m going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn’t reference her. If you take the two soundbites together, it may sound like it. But I’ve been a guy at the podium many times, and you say something that’s maybe a part of an old joke and then somebody ties it in. So, I’m going to have to cut him slack
That would be on Mike Huckabee. No wonder he didnt win the nomination, how dare he call a spade a spade!

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 05:32 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
Funny how partisanship works.

When McCain said that a year ago in regards to Hilary, no uproar from the right. Now uproar from people who have suddenly found political correctness when it favors their candidate.
Yes, he did say that a year ago... But if I recall correctly, he was talking about her HEALTH plan... Not Hilary directly. There is a bit of difference.

Quote:
It’s an old expression, and I’m going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn’t reference her. If you take the two soundbites together, it may sound like it. But I’ve been a guy at the podium many times, and you say something that’s maybe a part of an old joke and then somebody ties it in. So, I’m going to have to cut him slack
Barack Hussein Obama isn't a fool... There is a reason why he has a law degree from Harvard. He is a smart man...

He told his people... Watch this... I have something for Palin that I can say... Be an --- about it, and get away with it because I can always fall back on... Its an old expression... And in no way did it deal with her...

It was just to perfect for him and he knew he could get away with it...

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 06:34 PM
All Pro

Regardless of it's innocence or not it was a stupid thing to say. Why would Obama give female voters more reason to support the McCain/Palin ticket?
Unread 11 Sep 2008, 02:02 PM
Got Xbox One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho cinco View Post
Yes, he did say that a year ago... But if I recall correctly, he was talking about her HEALTH plan... Not Hilary directly. There is a bit of difference.
It did not seem like he referenced her directly to me. People hear what they want to hear.

Quote:
Barack Hussein Obama isn't a fool...
It's amusing when people use his middle name like it is going to throw up some flag related to the terrorist and make them not vote for him.

Quote:
He told his people... Watch this... I have something for Palin that I can say... Be an --- about it, and get away with it because I can always fall back on... Its an old expression... And in no way did it deal with her...
And you were in his pocket when this conversation went down?

Quote:
It was just to perfect for him and he knew he could get away with it...
They all try and push the edge of where they can and can't go.

Personally I would never vote for either of these candidates. Neither one has talked about what they are going to do about real problems such as illegal immigration and outsourcing of US jobs overseas.

All they do is prance around making the statements they think Americans want to hear and when elected they will do nothing to really help the country.

Obama has not done anything in his current job to make me feel he is going to do great things for the country to make him worthy of a vote and McCain picked someone that I would not be comfortable with as president if something were to happen to him.