FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 07 May 2009, 12:51 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Default Manny Suspended

Ramirez suspended 50 games for drug violation
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
12 minutes ago

Buzz up!84 votes PrintNEW YORK (AP)—Manny Ramirez(notes) was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday, becoming the latest high-profile player ensnared in the sport’s drug scandals.

The commissioner’s office didn’t announce the specific violation by the Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder, who will lose about one-third of his $25 million salary.

“Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me,” Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players’ union.

“Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I’ve taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.”

This is the second major drug revelation to hit baseball in the last few months. In February, Alex Rodriguez(notes) admitted taking steroids while playing for Texas from 2001-03. But that was before the start of testing with penalties under a program agreed to by players and management. The New York Yankee star doesn’t appear likely to be suspended.

Ramirez is the third player suspended this year under the major league program, following Philadelphia reliever J.C. Romero(notes) and Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre(notes).

Just two relatively low-profile players were suspended under the major league program last year, San Francisco catcher Elizier Alfonzo and Colorado catcher Humberto Coto.

In the past, the best-known player penalized was Baltimore’s Rafael Palmeiro, who received a 10-day suspension in 2005, the first year of penalties for first infractions.

Updated 12 minutes ago
Email Print Buzz up!84 votes digg add to facebook del.icio.us more
Unread 07 May 2009, 02:44 PM
GM

I was a little surprised by this at first.

Then I got to thinking how much the top players make and that has to be the main motivation to do these types of things in the first place. Even though a player no matter who they are will try to deny it. I am sure this is why A-Rod has taken this type of stuff in the past as well.

Why do I not believe Manny for a second when he blames a doctor and himself to a certain degree when the only person Manny should be blaming for getting into this mess in the first place is Manny.

I have one last question about this. Why does baseball protect it players to the point they don't even tell us what the player has taken?

It could well be the case that is part of the collective bargaining agreement the players and owners agreed to but I have no idea if that is actually the case.

The main reason I guess I would want to know what the nature of what the player was taking was it something to enhance their ability to hit home runs as one example. I just ask because hitting home runs is where the big bucks is in baseball. And that is from both a players and owners perspective. This is also the reason Bud Selig just looked the other way for years as well. This has been an issue for a lot longer than when the league actually started testing the players for all kinds of things now.

The really sad part to me about all of this is that this really does not surprise me or many other people anymore when it comes out. I almost feel like everyone is guilty until proven innocent when it comes to baseball especially.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 07 May 2009, 03:02 PM
speedinc

Angry Suspended

I wish all the ball players would just quit! Walk away from the game! I mean, they're ALL using. And they're using for ONE reason: The crap WORKS.
Here's a guy that has by himself brought the game of baseball back to 'Chavez Ravine', (Shut up, Torre-Fan) put fans in the seats in record numbers. And now, because the 'Powers that be' want to continue to perpetuate a 'LIE' (There were no weapons of mass destruction and your 'Johnson' will NOT shrivel up with long term steroid use) they're suspending the biggest drawing card in the game next to Puljos! Its a joke.
If I were the players, I'd say something like: "Hell yeah we're juicing! If we didn't, we'd all look like Vlad Guerrero, or Big Poppy! Both useless right now, because 'Da man' scared them away from what got them there in the first place! We quit! Call us back when you wan to see some 'Professionals' preform at an extremely high level"

For all you, who've bought the LIE about "Steroid use" You really need to do some research on the subject, and quit buying everything these people tell you! it's all about money. Money they stand to loose if the public ever finds out that the drug could possibly help you.

Check this out: http://www.steroid-abuse.org/
Unread 07 May 2009, 05:52 PM
GO STEELERS!

I guess that means 13-0*
Unread 07 May 2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedinc View Post
I wish all the ball players would just quit! Walk away from the game! I mean, they're ALL using. And they're using for ONE reason: The crap WORKS.
Here's a guy that has by himself brought the game of baseball back to 'Chavez Ravine', (Shut up, Torre-Fan) put fans in the seats in record numbers. And now, because the 'Powers that be' want to continue to perpetuate a 'LIE' (There were no weapons of mass destruction and your 'Johnson' will NOT shrivel up with long term steroid use) they're suspending the biggest drawing card in the game next to Puljos! Its a joke.
If I were the players, I'd say something like: "Hell yeah we're juicing! If we didn't, we'd all look like Vlad Guerrero, or Big Poppy! Both useless right now, because 'Da man' scared them away from what got them there in the first place! We quit! Call us back when you wan to see some 'Professionals' preform at an extremely high level"

For all you, who've bought the LIE about "Steroid use" You really need to do some research on the subject, and quit buying everything these people tell you! it's all about money. Money they stand to loose if the public ever finds out that the drug could possibly help you.

Check this out: http://www.steroid-abuse.org/
speed....I went to that site and read......I'm not real impressed with the writer of that article at all. I'm real curious as to who "sponsors" that site as well.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 08 May 2009, 03:05 AM
speedinc

Of course the site is sponsored by Pro Roid persons. If you go to a site sponsored by the FDA, their slant will be Anti-Roid. Me personally, I have not seen enough evidence to actually categorize the drug as 'Dangerous'. In fact, this is a definition of the category that Anabolic Steroids are in. (Schedule III is the section you want to pay attention to)

The Federal government has made up a classification for different drugs, and although the laws vary in different states, the federal law almost always comes first. Most drug offenses happen with Schedule I and Schedule II drugs. The Controlled Substances Act regulates the making, selling, and use of all drugs in the US. The Federal Drug Administration as well as various other departments help to classify all drugs into categories based on how they are used and how they work.

Schedule I Drugs- These drugs have a high abuse tendency and have no accepted medical use of any kind. This category includes drugs like Marijuana, Heroin, Ecstasy, LSD, and GHB. Recent protesters have been trying to make marijuana a legal drug because of its "medical benefits". Pharmacies do not sell Schedule I drugs and are also not available with a prescription by a physician.

Schedule II Drugs- Like the first category this schedule also has a high abuse tendency. Schedule II Drugs have some accepted medical use, but can cause addiction with persistent use. This category includes drugs like Cocaine, Opium, Morphine, Fentanyl, Amphetamines, and Methamphetamines. Schedule II drugs are only available with a prescription by a physician, but not all pharmacies will fill the prescriptions. These drugs require strict record and special storage measures.

Schedule III- This category of drugs have a low abuse tendency and have an accepted medical use. This category includes drugs like Anabolic steroids, Codeine, Ketamine, and Hydrocodone with Aspirin. These drugs are available with a prescription, but not all pharmacies will carry them.

Low abuse tendency? Accepted Medical use? You can get the stuff at your local Pharmacy with a prescription? Yet, in 1991, SOMEONE saw fit to protect the masses from this evil, diabolical, drug that was killing hundreds of athletes!
Unread 12 May 2009, 08:13 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

Time to make it a lifetime ban on 2nd fail/ Enough is enough.
Unread 12 May 2009, 12:53 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTec View Post
Time to make it a lifetime ban on 2nd fail/ Enough is enough.
If he changed his name, or had his girlfriend play in his place; would he be reinstated?

My bad.

Couldn't resist :P
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 12 May 2009, 04:29 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedinc View Post
Of course the site is sponsored by Pro Roid persons. If you go to a site sponsored by the FDA, their slant will be Anti-Roid. Me personally, I have not seen enough evidence to actually categorize the drug as 'Dangerous'. :
I've seen the effects on enough people I don't need to read any pro or anti roid articles to form my opinion on the subject.
Unread 12 May 2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
If he changed his name, or had his girlfriend play in his place; would he be reinstated?

My bad.

Couldn't resist :P

Unread 13 May 2009, 08:02 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

Didnt get the joke on my quote. No reason to reinstate. If that was a joke on my cousin of course Rich will come to pile on.
Unread 13 May 2009, 10:18 PM
speedinc

Quote:
I've seen the effects on enough people I don't need to read any pro or anti roid articles to form my opinion on the subject.
Guys, there was a YOU TUBE video on that web site that pretty much summed up my argument. THAT'S what I wanted you to see. The written article didn't say much.

I'm curious as to the "EFFECTS" that you've seen BBalljer, that have convinced you that Anabolic Steroids are in the same class as Cocaine, Crack, LSD, Morphine, and a host of other drugs that cannot be used for medical purposes. What are some of these "EFFECTS"? Acne?

Can we honestly say we know enough about this drug to justify a LIFETIME ban on a player? Are we putting this in the same category as FIXING or THROWING a game?
Unread 14 May 2009, 10:38 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

IF I were a baseball player...
...wouldn't my doctor know I was a baseball player and as such be 'in the know' about what he can and can't prescribe, according to MLB's list of banned substances?

...why isn't there more players taking it out on their doctors? ie...sue for games lost??

...the banned substance list is 53 items long...I found it easy enough...so is it up to the player to decipher doctors prescriptions and determine if a certain substance is illegal? Seems to me a doctor can find other chemicals or replacements for banned substances a lot easier than a MLBer. I am pretty sure I would be more than a little pissed finding out I was abusing a drug policy to nurse a cold!
The other side of that of course, is that the doctor explained and the player knows full well a banned substance has been prescribed.
Doctor does not warn player equals trouble for doctor...no?

Since we hear nothing about risidual actions...I am to assume that players are responsible for what goes into their own body? I would kinda like to ask a doctor 'bout that
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 17 May 2009, 03:18 AM
speedinc

I see where your coming from Freak. The Doctors should tell the guys which is which. Then again there is so much stuff out there that it could get pretty confusing.

For example, the stuff Mark McGuire was using, Androstendione, is a pro hormone, or a compound which changes into another compound once mixed with the chemicals inside the body. In his case, the compound changed to Testosterone. So, over the counter it's one thing, when ingested, it changes into another (banned) substance. Pretty freaky eh? (No pun intended )

My frustration with this whole thing is, WHY again are they banned in the first place. Like BBalljer44 said, HE had seen enough to convince HIM that the stuff is too risky to use... FOR HIM. So, because he is not willing to take that risk, does that mean that another person should not be able to?

I don't eat Oysters, because I read somewhere that they contain traces of mercury. Too risky for me. Just can't do it.

You eat Oysters Freak?
Unread 28 May 2009, 08:06 PM

It's a shame the Dodgers suck so bad without him......