Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 06 Oct 2011, 08:43 PM
Coach

U are mostly right. They hover just over $200 mill more like $209 mill. The figure I had was the most they ever compiled before dealing the like of Sheffield and some other bulky payrolls. It also included salary they had ate for players cut. I think it is part of the movie Moneyball. Good film BTW. I told Katrina they didnt show Jeter's AMAZING play out of nowhere to back hand the ball to the plate and tag the calf of the A's player who came in standing it was so unlikely a play was to be made there. Jeter also had this great catch in the stands face first. I like him a lot. Would love him if he wore any other jersey.
Unread 06 Oct 2011, 08:46 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
In 2001, the Yankees had $113mil to the Dbacks' $86mil according to usatoday......while the Yankees have had the largest payroll every year since about 1992, their largest has been just under $220mil...which is just a shade under $350mil

you'd have fewer issues around here if 'prone to exaggeration' weren't your tagline
weirdly enough I find sooo many different numbers. I think the problem is they all list opening day team salaries. Not what they are after stealing all the good players from all the teams selling at the deadline.
Unread 06 Oct 2011, 09:20 PM

Help me out here Troy....this is what you said:

Quote:
Not what they are after stealing all the good players from all the teams selling at the deadline.
The help I need is understanding this....if the teams were selling at the deadline...how were the Yankees stealing them?
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 06 Oct 2011, 11:42 PM
All Pro

More wasted money spent by the Yankees. Baseball is over, Giants and Jets have no shot, knicks no shot and Rangers and Islanders no shot.

http://www.mcdivots.org

or join my McDivots Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/229569963765319/
Unread 07 Oct 2011, 03:52 AM
Coach

I will speak to u on NYY Rich as long as we keep it civil. I dont want to come off as rude or confrontational as I respect your opinion and your team. I have several ideas to speak to Winman.

To answer Rich.
Stealing is when they outbid every other team in baseball with YES money and a payroll that starts the season at $209 mill but usually ends much higher. Also those numbers usually dont speak to players they release and just ate salary. Teams dont sell because they want to. They sell because they have to or get nothing when they go free agent. Hard to win a pie eating contest when you are a scrawny kid and some 300 lb fat kid eats everything he sees he likes.

Winman:
Yankees need to get rid of the 36 yr old post=season bust ARod. Believe it or not I hate seeing Pudge and possibly Mariano go. But you have a good nucleus of players you can build around. Besides CC, who do they have that scares you on the mound? Question is can you still trade him. After performance inhancing and having his brother inject him for 6 months led to a nervous 60 mins and several DL stretches.
2-18 in the series and 0-4 with 3Ks in the 5th and deciding game?
You have Robbie Cano, Granderson, Texiera, Swish, Martin, and a few nice prospects. YOU NEED PITCHING. In that ballpark you need someone to gobble innings. Joba is an oaf. I like Nova although he had a tough 2 innings. But trade ARod. Say farewell to Pudge and whoever else decides it is time.

ChiSox are sellers. Quentin can be had. But just like GMAC who went 0% on everything. Sooner or later u cant rely soley on free agents and trade deadlines steals. Doesn't have to be all about $$. Maybe get that bottom line out of the top 5. Feel good about contending not buying.... I think we all would run things differently if we owned the Yanks.
Unread 07 Oct 2011, 07:38 AM
All Pro

I don't know if the Yankees ideas were suppose to be for me or not, I don't like the Yankees and don't care for the Yankees. I respect Mariano and maybe Granderson since he grew up within 10 miles of me. They have some good young ballplayers but like you said they need pitching. I just don't respect the organization as a whole for the reason you mentioned.

The White Sox: I'm still getting use to the news of them hiring Robin Ventura as manager. All the talk was about that it would be either Francona, Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar. Ventura has always been a fan favorite but he has no managing experience, so I don't know if I like this. The Sox will get rid of Quentin and Pierre for sure. Buerhle may be gone also. The Sox are tied up with underachieving nightmares Rios and Dunn. I think it's impossible for Dunn to have anywhere near the worst year by a fulltime player in the history of the game like he had. I hope!

Unread 07 Oct 2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Stealing is when they outbid every other team in baseball with YES money and a payroll that starts the season at $209 mill but usually ends much higher. Also those numbers usually dont speak to players they release and just ate salary. Teams dont sell because they want to. They sell because they have to or get nothing when they go free agent. Hard to win a pie eating contest when you are a scrawny kid and some 300 lb fat kid eats everything he sees he likes.
so....you're comparing it to kind of like an auction then? I've only been to one...but I can tell you that when I wanted something I went after it with no regard as to how much $$$$$ anyone else in the room had....that's wrong?

As far as the eating contest analogy...NOT. scrawny people win those ALL the time.
Unread 07 Oct 2011, 03:56 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
so....you're comparing it to kind of like an auction then? I've only been to one...but I can tell you that when I wanted something I went after it with no regard as to how much $$$$$ anyone else in the room had....that's wrong?

As far as the eating contest analogy...NOT. scrawny people win those ALL the time.
You're correct. This time the scrawny kid was a Tiger!

Im not here to make you think bad about your team Rich. Like I said I respect you so I will be diplomatic. But a starting annual salary of $210mill that will inflate to whatever after the "auction" no one can ever compete with that when they have a salary from $40 mill to $100 mill max.
Of course the Phillies are not way far off. Any surprise both the top 2 salaried teams were in the final 8? I wont use steal if it bugs you. Auction works. It works great. Because only 1 team can bid high enough to win most of the good items.
Unread 07 Oct 2011, 04:38 PM

using the word steal doesn't bother me a bit Troy....I offered "auction" because steal is simply not an accurate description of what you posted.
Unread 07 Oct 2011, 06:18 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

to me it's less about the disparity between payrolls than it used to be....and more about the fact large market teams can afford to spin out more of their top prospects in trades than smaller markets can....because the large markets can replenish top prospects easier in baseball than most sports.................baseball is the only team sport where a kid can make his asking price known ahead of time so teams unwilling to meet that won't even draft him (meaning better talent slides down in the draft) OR if they don't like where they were drafted, they just go back to college and the team drafting them just loses out.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 08 Oct 2011, 02:46 AM
Coach

MLB and NHL drafts are mostly irrelevant to the fan. NFL and NBA have much more hype and substance.
Unread 08 Oct 2011, 03:56 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

You all are forgetting about "TITLE TOWN USA" Green Bay fans are very supportive of there team. When was the last time that they haven't had a sell out. They have had 13 championships in there lifetime. Can any team equal that other than maybe NYY?
Unread 08 Oct 2011, 05:57 AM

Boston Celtics?
Unread 08 Oct 2011, 07:22 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirds View Post
You all are forgetting about "TITLE TOWN USA" Green Bay fans are very supportive of there team. When was the last time that they haven't had a sell out. They have had 13 championships in there lifetime. Can any team equal that other than maybe NYY?

I did not forget Green Bay/Wisconsin in my initial post. Since GB has only one town, one needs to lump the Milwaukee teams in with GB. Not enough championships in recent times.

If I was to add Bears championships to all of the other Chicago sports championships, then I can also brag big time.

Unread 08 Oct 2011, 03:09 PM
Coach

I had them 4th in my original post. So we DID have them.
Another thing I HATE to hear is about all the championships back when there was 8 teams of farmers. Let's keep it to Super Bowls please.
How many they got 2? Also when you get beat like 15 straight times to Dallas. You better know who America's team is.
NFL DALLAS COWBOYS
MLB NEW YORK YANKEES
NHL USA HOCKEY TEAM lol
NASCAR Earnhardt (both Sr. and Jr.)

NBA do they still play? No team sticks out as Lakers are HATED