Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 29 Aug 2008, 08:24 PM
Hall of Famer

LOL.

My first rational reaction to and analysis of McCain's VP choice is this - he picked an unknown candidate - completely unknown to 99% of the American public. The problem with that, for either party to make such a pick, is your opponent has an opportunity to define your candidate before you do, or at least at the same time you're attempting to. It may not be a problem for the McCain campaign, I just think it's risky.

And to be honest, I wouldn't have liked anyone he picked, because I don't agree with most of John McCain and the rest of the republican party's platform. I used to, and I could see supporting the republican party sometime in the future, but this current batch has got to go.
Unread 29 Aug 2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
in her short political career she's taken some respectable positions.

for example she led an investigation into ethics violations by state Republicans while serving on the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission in 2003

but the fact that she is under investigation for firing state public safety commissioner because he refused to fire a state trooper involved in a contentious divorce and child custody battle with her younger sister gives me cause for concern
It's not possible that there is another side to this? Is it possible that he is just a bad guy? Is it possible that she might have pissed off some people as she put her well shoed foot in their collective azzes and this is just one of more to come way for them to get even with her? There are way too many possibilities to have cause for concern this early. She has enough experience to be VP (hell she has more experience than Barrack in a number of areas) but nobody can convince me she's ready to lead this country.

A new question is can Biden win in debate with her. I say no he can't.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 29 Aug 2008, 08:50 PM
GM

Obama has two things he loves us to hear about.

He will only tax the top 5% which will avoid paying as much taxes a possible as they always do.

That is severely going to effect revenue going into Washington.

That means there will not be as much money to spend; and add to that all of this stuff Obama thinks will need to be spending money now that we are not. This means that something that might be very important will be left out of the budget. I don't exactly know what it is until there is a crisis now do I. Obama loves to run around and make people think everything will just be alright just because of who he is.

Now he also runs around and says big oil profits need to be taxed more heavily. As I have said just in the last few days there is practically nothing in our own economy that is not touched either directly or indirectly by the oil industry. I know this is a very hard concept to even grasp but the more and more I think about it and learn about the oil industry there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that what I just said is very true indeed.

These two things combined have the potential to have an economic crisis just waiting to happen. And this combined with the first thing I mentioned will severely limit what Washington can do because revenue will not be coming in.

Now I guess I should just not believe what Obama is saying about the two things I just mentioned and everything will just be o.k. just by the mere fact he will be president.

But I for one am not willing to take that chance because of the very difficult times we will be facing in the near future. I guess I will just name a few that I think of right at this moment. The economy is the only one I can think of right now and I think that Obama's economic policies such as the $1000 check to help with energy issues and other things I am not thinking of right at the moment will have about the same desired effect as that wonderful stimulus package we got from the congress and as we all know that helped the economy get back on its feet.

In summary we have a slow economy to begin with, only the top five percent will be paying more in taxes but will avoid paying as much taxes as possible as they always do, and Obama wants to tax the profits of what I will call right here and now the most important industry in our economy which is the oil industry. And the reason I say the oil industry is the most important industry is that it effects almost all of the other industries in the economy and very few industries can even say this and they all pale in comparison to the oil industry.

Well I guess that what Obama has been saying in the past is just a bunch of lies and actually that would make me feel better about Obama actually.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 29 Aug 2008, 08:54 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
It's not possible that there is another side to this? Is it possible that he is just a bad guy? Is it possible that she might have pissed off some people as she put her well shoed foot in their collective azzes and this is just one of more to come way for them to get even with her? There are way too many possibilities to have cause for concern this early. She has enough experience to be VP (hell she has more experience than Barrack in a number of areas) but nobody can convince me she's ready to lead this country.

A new question is can Biden win in debate with her. I say no he can't.
there is absolutely every possibility that she's not guilty of any wrong doing. that's why i didn't refer to her as crooked or guilty but i'll not deny that the allegations alone give me cause for concern.

as for the experience, she's been a mayor of a little town and a governor of a state for two years, how she has more experience than obama i don't see. and i honestly can't say if she's ready to lead because i truly don't know much about her at all. other than she's a former beauty pageant contestant and deeply rooted in traditional conservative ideals. and the two things i alluded to previously

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 29 Aug 2008, 09:07 PM
GM

Obama has also talked about closing a bunch of loopholes in the tax code as well that favor the rich mostly.

Obama must think that this will mean more revenue coming in or why else would he say something like this.

But this will have the exact opposite effect of what Obama claims he desires so much.

A business will just say the heck with it. If Obama wants to tax us more when a business tries to expand or improve they will just not expand for the express purpose of not having to pay more in taxes.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I think that Obama's policies when it comes to economic issues will drag this economy to places we have not seen in quite some time. So if an economy is struggling like it is now but to me it could get a lot worse if what Obama says he wants happens and if that is the case is revenue more or less likely to pour into Washington?

I feel the need to mention again that I actually think that whatever Obama says he wants while he has been campaigning will start to happen as early as next October or October of 2011. The determining factor for me is the number of democrat senators in the senate.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 29 Aug 2008, 09:21 PM
GM

The point is not that she has all of this wonderful experience but what is the experience that Obama can point to and say I did this and these are good reason(s) why I would make a good president.

Let's not forget that Obama had to travel overseas to make it look like he has foreign policy experience.

And then Obama picks a vice president that is supposed to have all of this foreign policy experience in Senator Biden.

I could ask the question what does the Senate Foreign Relations Committee have to with foreign policy as well.

So let's see we have a candidate that wants to be president lectures us about how much experience a person has when he has very little experience to do the job he wants and don't forget that Obama's job that he wants in just a few months from now is a little bit more important than hers.

I know I know McCain on his 72nd birthday could die on us anytime now and especially in the next four plus years for convenience sake.

Unread 29 Aug 2008, 09:33 PM
GM

Picking up my theme of Obama being a not so great candidate as he wants us all to believe.

I seem to remember now that Obama is also going to give only car manufacturers that do exactly as he says and if the car makers do what Obama wants he will give them some revenue in order to make cars that run on alternative fuels.

He has mentioned retooling whole plants and other smaller projects as well. I don't have a clue how much revenue that will take out of Washington but that is just some more revenue that may be spent more wisely somewhere else as well.

I am sure that Obama has all kinds of ideas that he has not even mentioned in public and is unlikely to do so.

What those ideas are I have no idea I guess we will just wait until he is president to tell us.

Unread 29 Aug 2008, 09:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
A terrible picture is starting to emerge of who Governor Palin really is.

1. She owns a gun has a membership with the NRA and she also goes out and shots lovable animals that cannot defend themselves as well.
2. She did not want to have an abortion even after the fact that she knew that her youngest child may have downs syndrome.
3. She said no not in this state to the so called "bridge to nowhere". Which by the way was just government wasteful spending at its finest.
4. She has sons in the military and next month another one will go to Iraq on the 11th.
5. She has absolutely no experience running a town of 9,000 and a state that has just a small number of people like the State of Delaware.
6. She believes in the free market system.
7. Alaska has connections to big oil so she has to have these as well.
8. She supports drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. [ANWR]
9. She is a religious person and of course as we all know there should be a clear separation of church and state.

These are the real reasons democrats must oppose this women no matter what.

It will be interesting to see if the main stream media even mentions these things for there very good reasons this absolutely horrible vice president choice that Senator McCain has made.
I got as far as #2 and was firing off a response. Thank God I managed to read the rest of the post before I made an a-- of myself.
Unread 29 Aug 2008, 10:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Rumor has it that Palin's 5th child is actually the child of her 16 year old daughter.
Unread 29 Aug 2008, 11:53 PM
All Pro

I would hope that mature adults would have a helluva lot of prove before they would make this kind of an allegation regarding a 16 year old kid.

Screw politics....this kind of accusation is way below the belt.
Unread 30 Aug 2008, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldzppln View Post
Rumor has it that Palin's 5th child is actually the child of her 16 year old daughter.
Did you seriously just echo that accusation? Pathetic. Not you, per say, but your attempt at discrediting Palin. However, I ask that you think before you type; as has been requested by other members on these boards.

Nick
Unread 30 Aug 2008, 09:18 AM
GM

The morning after.

Well the media must still be in shock.

A McCain handler who was a pleasant looking women was asked by the women on the Today Show probably because Lester Holt may have been a little hard when talking about Governor Palin in the first segment and the women asking the questions was all nice nice.

The interviewer mentioned Governor Palin's experience at least once a minute and the segment was about three minutes but I think Governor Palin got off easy on this one.

Now let's see Governor Palin is a forty something with little to no foreign policy experience even though she visited Iraq last year so she does have foreign policy experience. Why did Obama go on his overseas trip recently because he went on vacation in Hawaii after Obama's trip.

I am trying to think of someone that reminds me of Governor Palin a forty something with little foreign policy experience but there is one major difference between the two though one is running for president and not just vice president.

Unread 30 Aug 2008, 09:21 AM
Hall of Famer

LOL. Emails have been circulated for months claiming, among other things, that:

Obama is a Muslim
Obama was sworn into office on the Koran.
Obama doesn't say the Pledge of Allegiance.
Obama is the anti-Christ.
Obama was born outside of the U.S.

And on and on and on. All are lies, but that doesn't stop the emails from being forwarded. One rumor is posted on this thread (that maybe 7 of us are reading) about the cute little defenseless Sarah Palin, and look how upset the McCain supporters get. Oh, the humanity.
Unread 30 Aug 2008, 09:28 AM
GM

One fascinating little question.

What does Mrs. Clinton think of all of this attention Governor Palin is getting?

Just remember Mrs. Clinton so thought she was going to be the democrat nominee earlier this year.

Unread 30 Aug 2008, 09:52 AM
GM

So sorry for being a little off yesterday.

Let's see Governor Palin is about as conservative as a person can get for the reasons I mentioned yesterday.

That may be a reason for conservatives to vote for McCain no wonder the Today Show did not really even say anything of meaning about her.

The Today Show did call her a social conservative.

Then they showed a clip of her using a huge rifle.

Well so far the media is being very subtle when they are talking about Governor Palin. But there is a little over two months left to go.

And the voters that would be upset by what I said about Governor Palin yesterday would not dare vote for McCain anyway right?