Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 20 Sep 2012, 09:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
The NHL canceled its entire September preseason game schedule on Wednesday, the first on-ice casualty of the four-day lockout.

The league is wiping out all games through Sept. 30, a move it deems ''necessary because of the absence of a collective bargaining agreement'' with the players' association.

The NHL also said the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ontario, has been postponed until 2013, bringing the total to 60 games called off on Wednesday.

The regular season is scheduled to begin on Oct. 11.
Full story here.
Unread 28 Sep 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
The NHL canceled the rest of the preseason Thursday, just a day before negotiations were set to resume in an effort to end the lockout.
Story here.
Unread 28 Sep 2012, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

It's all about the benjamins ...
Unread 28 Sep 2012, 10:35 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
It's all about the benjamins ...
You mean Ben Smith & Maxwell & Bishop & Scrivens & Holmstrom?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 28 Sep 2012, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
You mean Ben Smith & Maxwell & Bishop & Scrivens & Holmstrom?

Exactly
Unread 28 Sep 2012, 03:30 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

on a more upbeat note....some players know what to do when they have the spare time.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/84...locked-players
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 04 Oct 2012, 04:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The National Hockey League announced on Thursday that the regular-season schedule through Oct. 24 has been canceled.

No, the games haven't been lost. Yet, at least.

The 82 games scheduled between opening night, Oct. 11, through Oct. 24 have been canceled, but if a new CBA deal between the NHL and the NHLPA can be settled during the next three weeks, there's still a chance an 82-game schedule could be salvaged — as closely scheduled as the games would then become.
Full story here.
Unread 10 Oct 2012, 03:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — The NHL and the players' association are talking again as the lockout reaches its 25th day.

The sides are meeting Wednesday in New York. On Friday, they held an unannounced meeting in Toronto to discuss where they were and how to move the process forward.

Officials on both sides were in contact Saturday and Sunday, leading to the meetings.

The NHL canceled the first two weeks of the regular season Thursday, wiping out 82 games from Oct. 11-24.
Story here.
Unread 10 Oct 2012, 09:33 PM
GM

Thank you for the update SayOw. At least both sides are still talking but this has been going on for months. I just get the feeling that nothing is going to get done and the top players will play to keep sharp overseas. One of the most famous players in the league is actually thinking about playing in Europe. And he would certainly not do this if he thinks there will be some sort of NHL season.

Story Here.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 09:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Five hours of talks in two sessions between the NHL and the players' association did little to move the sides closer to a deal in the nearly one-month lockout.
Story here.

It's unfortunate that both sides don't see any value in playing hockey in front of paying fans.

I think, as it has been said elsewhere, that once games started getting cancelled both sides dig in deeper and become more hardline with their demands because they now have the rationale of "Hey, if we are already losing money, let's make this lockout worth our time." Whereas, I think most fans would hope their mindset would be about getting back on the ice as their top priority...sadly, that is not the case.
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 09:51 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

they doing it to themselves.

I venture to say...the NHL will never again be what it was.

Players leaving for new jobs overseas. Some of these guys won't return.
Why would they? Back in their homeland where they being welcomed and handsomely compensated.

so...the NHL is losing a good percentage of its premier players. The NHL is losing an even larger percentage of their fan base.

ridiculousness!!!

boneheads!!....criminal, i figure!

the damage has been done....their is no fix. I hope I'm wrong.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 10:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beast View Post
the damage has been done....their is no fix. I hope I'm wrong.
I've had a couple of ideas that would fix the NHL for some time...it is radical, but I think if you are going to lose a season why not start now...

First, eliminate all the dead weight...non-hockey towns. Sorry Florida, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, Columbus, Nashville, Carolina, etc... you guys all instantly lose your NHL team. Sorry about that. Part of the reason the NHL is in this predicament, again, is largely due to over expansion and especially into non-hockey towns. Sure, when those teams are in the playoffs their fans will show up, but if their team wavers, they quickly lose interest. I'm a person who hates the big vs small market mentality but if there is a sport where is is the most noticeable, imo, it is in the NHL and for the NHL to survive it needs to shed the dead weight rather than trying to make it work in markets where it never will.

Next, playoffs. Why are the Stanley Cup Finals in the middle of June when no one cares about the NHL? I say start the season earlier and have the finals set to take place in late April. March madness is over, the NBA playoffs haven't started yet and baseball will just be getting underway. The NHL would have the biggest games in the sports world at that time...plus, it isn't June! It could almost work out where the NHL playoffs would start right around the Super Bowl, so for sports fans looking to transition from playoff football to playoff hockey, the excitement and interest level, for the sports fan, is very high. The NHL would still be able to host its Winter Classic on New Years day. The only caveat to this scenario is that the season would likely have to start in August...but on the upside, it would be starting before the NFL now.

There are probably some other "tweaks" that could be made that wouldn't effect the game itself, but likely improve the league and make it better for everyone.
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 11:44 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

i completely agree with your solution!

i can also see why a few owners may 'complain'...lol

the NHL would have to purchase those franchises (I would think)
and then fold them according to your plan....otherwise there would be some sort of legal action that would hold things up, for sure.
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 12:21 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Isn't part of the problem with over-expansion because so much talent goes/stays in Europe/Russia? And hasn't some of that happened BECAUSE of labor struggles in the NHL?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 04:45 PM
Head Coach

Need to dissolve quite a few teams.
In addition to the profitable teams not having to support them the quality of the games would improve.
Right now, for the most part, get the third or fourth line out there and it really shows.