Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 19 Dec 2007, 07:23 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Having 6 sectors only effects 2 comps, however, right? TV and yearly

Not that I don't understand where you're coming from....if you want your TV to maintain, you have to have the biggest of ports (and all that NBA) to be able to coast with little drop if you take a couple months off.

Without thinking of the logistics much yet (how many portfolios would you want?! maybe you'd have to pick amongst a menu of 'em) I've thought about individual sport comps...probably covering an entire season. I'd once thought about somehow splitting sports up into groups (like NHL/NBA together) but 1.) an NHL fan isn't necessarily an NBA fan 2.) vice versa and 3.) they're the only 2 sports whose seasons cover similar timeframes. PGA is basically Jan-Oct, NASCAR is Feb-Oct, MLB is April-Sept, NFL is Aug-Jan.

Adding LPGA/SPGA would be that much more for people to pay attention to...but if those sectors were only available if you played a Golf only portfolio, is there enough interest to justify the time for us to do stats? The same would be true adding the Busch series.........or WNBA, CFL, etc...

Obviously, one can choose months they wanna play comps...and quarters...and years......but, unless we simply don't make all sectors available for TV ports, adding new sectors may be welcome to some, too tedious for others.

It does make one wonder about whether major changes to the whole TV port idea could/should be considered. Just brainstorming....what if TV ports were split by sector and you only play the sectors you want to- eliminating the TOTAL TV port? Extending that thought for the moment, we could have separate port pages for each sector...with whatever accompanying comp ports (TV, monthly, season) on each page. Extending even further...splitting existing cash balances percentage wise according to stock holdings in each sector (if 50% of your port value is in NBA stocks, 50% of your cash balance would go into your NBA TV port).

....just thinking 'out loud'
Unread 19 Dec 2007, 09:42 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
....just thinking 'out loud'
I like separate ports and leaderboards for individual sports... for those that like to play them.

In addition to the mentioned other leagues that could be added for those interested in those sports, thought might be given to adding the volume into the existing Market Listing.

One downside of that would be the need to throttle down the sell volume at the season's end. Perhaps just archiving the standings from the last divi of the year. It's bad enough the havoc "yearly" sells play on MLB TV holdings as is. But, running markets with a yearly reset was something people have been positive about.

Even showing leaders by sport on the main game, and percentage by sport would be nice additions. But only as add ons. Busting up the main game doesn't sound good at all.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.

Unread 21 Dec 2007, 07:48 AM
GM

In answer to the question in the thread title which if there was a new tv port with a new market would I use it?

The answer to this is simply no.

I used to play the monthly each month and it has been quite some time since I have done that.

In fact I would literally have to go look at my t.v. port now to see when I bought any stock for that matter.

Just my perspective on the original question of the thread.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 21 Dec 2007, 08:04 AM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
In answer to the question in the thread title which if there was a new tv port with a new market would I use it?

The answer to this is simply no.

I used to play the monthly each month and it has been quite some time since I have done that.

In fact I would literally have to go look at my t.v. port now to see when I bought any stock for that matter.

Just my perspective on the original question of the thread.
Heres the the big question. What would entice you to become a more active stock buyer here?
Unread 21 Dec 2007, 09:51 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadduff View Post
Heres the the big question. What would entice you to become a more active stock buyer here?
This is a very good question and to be quite frank I don't really have an answer at this time.

I may try to come up with one that I think would be somewhat easy on the admins and would not be to difficult to implement.

Just so people can get a sense of my purchases this month. I have purchased a total of five stocks in the month of December in all of my ports.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 21 Dec 2007, 01:40 PM
5th Round Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
I like separate ports and leaderboards for individual sports... for those that like to play them.
Bill Shaw - the man, the myth, the legend. Spot on as always.
Unread 21 Dec 2007, 09:24 PM
Coach

And if we do individual sports competitions (great idea), I would like an option to continue to accumulate from year to year (like current Total Value). Also a separate comp for each sport that resets each year (like current Yearly).

I doubt this would be difficult to program--just restrict allowable buys/sells to a single sport. So NBA-only competition would only allow players to buy/sell NBA players. Done. Competition created.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 12:35 AM
Head Coach

If there are a lot of comps going at one time, it sure would be beneficial to have check boxes for each comp when you buy. Otherwise, even if we have more players we will have less active ports in each comp then we have now.
I quit the yearly and quarterly in Jan 2007, just too much time navigating 4 ports.
And if anti-moo stays around then we need a way to sell across ports.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
And if anti-moo stays around then we need a way to sell across ports
auto-sell?
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 05:02 AM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
Bill Shaw - the man, the myth, the legend. Spot on as always.
Mr. Tate

What...is you snowed in or something?

My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehuelsman View Post
I don't know, but I'll take December 19th.
you were off by a few days Joe

My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 03:43 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
auto-sell?
What I mean is to be able to sell or auto-sell by selecting a player in one port and check which ports to sell in.
If we have 6-10 ports, just too much time to play them all separately.
Unread 23 Dec 2007, 05:30 AM
Back on page #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
What I mean is to be able to sell or auto-sell by selecting a player in one port and check which ports to sell in.
If we have 6-10 ports, just too much time to play them all separately.
For those of that would play all ports, yes it might take a bit of time, but I think that having different ports adds a different take on the game and allows the player that cannot play 365 days a year, the opportunity to play a game that only takes a day here, a weekend there, and then it slowly builds to that obsession that the rest of us have.

I hope some of these ideas actually come to fruition....a lot of positive talk - I am keeping my fingers crossed...
Unread 23 Dec 2007, 10:26 AM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmak View Post
For those of that would play all ports, yes it might take a bit of time, but I think that having different ports adds a different take on the game and allows the player that cannot play 365 days a year, the opportunity to play a game that only takes a day here, a weekend there, and then it slowly builds to that obsession that the rest of us have.

I hope some of these ideas actually come to fruition....a lot of positive talk - I am keeping my fingers crossed...
I agree 100%. Just dont want it to be a handful of players in many ports, as oppose to quite a few in a lesser number of ports.
How can we build more comps into a couple ports?
Unread 23 Dec 2007, 10:41 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
I agree 100%. Just dont want it to be a handful of players in many ports, as oppose to quite a few in a lesser number of ports.
How can we build more comps into a couple ports?
One thought has been doing something with delta numbers, leaderboards by year, etc for TV ports....even if they're not split into separate ports it might be possible to have TV leaderboards by sport.

If we get PrePick10 going, we could get that 'triathlon' going....combining the regular monthly earnings with PrePick10 earnings and Pick'em-points-converted-to-dollars earnings...which would take very little extra time over just playing monthly.

We could consider weekly delta leaderboards for comp ports...maybe you can't win a month, but you can win a week.

That's on top of the handicapped or, my preference, ladder setup for monthly comps.

So there are ways to generate a plethora of comps...and not all require people to play a plethora of ports.