Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 16 Jun 2009, 10:05 AM
GM

Default President Obama

Well around this time last year it was around the time President Obama finally defeated Mrs. Clinton for the democrat nomination I started a thread about President Obama.

President Obama was talking to a group of health care providers at the American Medical Association and threatened them with this little quote.

"A big part of what led General Motors and Chrysler into trouble in recent decades were the huge costs they racked up providing health care for their workers -- costs that made them less profitable and less competitive with automakers around the world. If we do not fix our health care system, America may go the way of GM -- paying more, getting less, and going broke."

President Obama I am sure absentmindedly forgot to mention that various governments own a majority of General Motors.

This quote also give a the reason why we should support President Obama's and congressional democrats little scheme.

If we do not implement this plan health care costs are going to keep going up.

Now I have asked the question before does a person remember the last time the cost of health care went down. And the conditions for this have been in recent years and even over a decade a democrat president with a democrat congress, a democrat president with a republican congress, a republican president with a republican congress, and last but not least a republican president with a democrat congress. I am just describing the last sixteen years. Under these four different conditions why has the cost of health care increased each and every year?

But the more important question is not how much we are going to be saving in the area of health care costs but how much are we going to be spending in order for the actual cost of health care to go down.

We have had some stories about one of the more famous veterans hospitals in the country being in such sad shape which was Walter Reed and it was not pretty picture to say the least. It was so bad the conditions at Walter Reed almost prompted democrats in congress to do something about it. These are good examples of the government running just a very small part of health care and democrats want to greatly expand the number of people getting health care from the feds and so that the feds can make the same kinds of decisions on health care that they do when it comes to a veterans hospital.

Then we have the relics of the Great Society with us even today. This would be Medicare and Medicaid. I am quite sure these two programs alone have all kinds of fraud and waste associated with them. This is another example of the feds running health care for older Americans.

Come to think of it if we really wanted to "reform" health care, and I put it in quotes because we are not really reforming anything with this plan we are just pretending to do so, we should start by really changing how these two government programs of the 1960's really work but I will not hold my breath on this one especially with the current makeup of Washington D.C.. health care "reform" sort of reminds me of campaign finance reform which one of its stated purposes was to get the money out of politics so that money would be less of an influence on politicians. I have not checked the actual dollar amount but I would not be the slightest bit surprised if we just spent around $1,000,000,000 on the two presidential campaign last year alone.

I will leave a person with a question actually. Would you want to have your own health care be run like the several examples I have given of veterans hospitals, Medicare, and Medicaid or not?

Full speech by President Obama at the American Medical Association.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.