FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 27 Feb 2013, 05:33 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beast View Post

example

Class 'A splits @ 10:1
Class 'B' share automatically issued to the market for purchase upon Class 'A' split
Class 'B' is ipo'd @ $100.00 (hundred)
Once class 'B' shares are available after a split and they have their first divi (in %)....say 10% for ease...class 'B' dividend works out to be $10.00 per share.
THAT's the number should be paid class A...$10.00 a share...NOT 10% of the total value.

As I see it...this will fix all
I've not explained enough...

I am assuming stocks 'split' at $10000.00 now?

lots of our stock sits at 100k shares.
That's a billion dollars their next split...and a million shares!!
...call them class A
class B share ipo'd at a hundred bucks...cost a million for ten thousand.
class B dividends 5% next time... equaling $50,000.00. thats 5 dollars a share.
class A shares would receive....5 dollars a share! ...or five million dollars.
Class A receives 5%...or...50 MILLION dollars....the way it is now.
10:1 split bonus should only happen when it splits....we get 10 times what we should every divi on splits
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 27 Feb 2013, 11:11 PM
Long Live the OC

I guess a lot of what you do should depend on what you want to achieve. Looking at the top thirty tonight, the highest volume stock is at 156,000 shares traded. If you want to see active players gain on those who are inactive, then by all means keep making changes. However, if your goal is to get dormant players BACK to trading more, then give them more investments to buy/sell. Think outside the box. I realize the programming resources are very limited. But there are things that could be added that would encourage players to play daily or at least more regularly. Daily mutual fund stocks that CAN NOT be put into long term and which only divi on the day they are purchased would be a great start. Then, active players again could be rewarded and additional buy/sell opportunitys would exist. I think one reason some ports go dormant is the huge amounts of un useable cash that exist. Get people buying these daily stock funds and they might well sell off losers while they are at it. Some people also do not like having shares sold off that they have amassed. That was a big turn off to me. You have leveled the playing field for newer players quite a bit already. Daily players are already being rewarded. Simply tinkering with splits wont solve anything long term. Find new ways to use cash. This helps both sides of the arguement.
Unread 27 Feb 2013, 11:41 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
I know many like splits. We just need to find a way to have 'the best of both worlds' as much as possible- not let the market get stale with stocks not being traded, not unfairly benefit the active trader vs the more casual trader (like I've been worried this 100k trading could), yet still allow people the enjoyment of having splits.
What is unfair about being active vs complacent?
Unread 28 Feb 2013, 09:00 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

maybe I've been reading some of this all wrong over the years...and maybe I've been overly concerned about things I shouldn't and/or things that aren't even an issue....

for sure, we'll continue the 100k trading we do have for now...but how many of you would like that expanded to ALL splits for the month of March? (and I define a time frame primarily because it both gives us an out if we don't like it and time to put a long term solution together)

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 28 Feb 2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
maybe I've been reading some of this all wrong over the years...and maybe I've been overly concerned about things I shouldn't and/or things that aren't even an issue....

for sure, we'll continue the 100k trading we do have for now...but how many of you would like that expanded to ALL splits for the month of March? (and I define a time frame primarily because it both gives us an out if we don't like it and time to put a long term solution together)
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 28 Feb 2013, 09:14 AM
Head Coach

Unread 28 Feb 2013, 09:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
how many of you would like that expanded to ALL splits for the month of March?
Less than 24 hours to know if this change will be implemented for sure? Kind of seems short notice...imo.
Unread 28 Feb 2013, 09:47 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
Less than 24 hours to know if this change will be implemented for sure? Kind of seems short notice...imo.
I wasn't meaning I'd implement it immediately

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 28 Feb 2013, 10:51 AM
5th Round Draft Pick

Quote:
I'm concerned that you're concerned with my concern?
....maybe I'm overly concerned

What I mean is....even active players could potentially get 'left behind' more than they think...after years of viewing splits as something they just hold, suddenly those willing to buy and sell them daily can make significant gains on those who don't have or want to take the time.....one thing if you're talking 10k shares......10 times the effect when it's 100k shares.

For example, someone taking the time to sell losing goalies, buy winning goalies (which some have always done...just not with splits) won't take the negative hit when a goalie split loses....maybe even more an issue wouldn't take the negative hit on a golfer who has a bad day. Yes, that's always been true...just not with splits at 10 times the dollar value of max shares.

In other words, my concern has more to do with people who've been used to MANAGING their portfolio (adding new IPOs, maybe selling losing pitchers and goalies sometimes and buying them back) suddenly having to either trade more actively, or lose ground more quickly than ever before. And some of those managers are VERY active here...but they're managing their TV port while playing comp ports actively.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing...maybe I'm trying to save people from themselves
I'm a perfect example of what Oren said of above.Ive been hear since day one ten years ago.I play all ports everyday use to hold all splits no matter of gain or loss.Then when we were able to sell and buy back 50k i started doing that.the only problem is i long term a few basketball stocks at the end of last year at 50k shares and this year before the season started when we were able to buy splits for the coming season i thought i had full shares of 4 splits these 4 splits cost me 7 spots on the tv leader board even though i played all ports everyday.i was so frustrated watching this i thought about quiting.i realize i will never win a comp i play because i enjoy it.To all of you who worry a new person is going to catch stop it will never happen.who cares if same who joined later can have the same years gains as some one who has been here from day one no matter the changes i believe those that have done well continue to do so
Unread 28 Feb 2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjam12 View Post
I'm a perfect example of what Oren said of above.Ive been hear since day one ten years ago.I play all ports everyday use to hold all splits no matter of gain or loss.Then when we were able to sell and buy back 50k i started doing that.the only problem is i long term a few basketball stocks at the end of last year at 50k shares and this year before the season started when we were able to buy splits for the coming season i thought i had full shares of 4 splits these 4 splits cost me 7 spots on the tv leader board even though i played all ports everyday.i was so frustrated watching this i thought about quiting.i realize i will never win a comp i play because i enjoy it.To all of you who worry a new person is going to catch stop it will never happen.who cares if same who joined later can have the same years gains as some one who has been here from day one no matter the changes i believe those that have done well continue to do so
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 01 Mar 2013, 09:33 PM
Back on page #1

Go for it.
Unread 02 Mar 2013, 12:03 AM
Pastor of Muppetts

What ever you do is cool..........BUUUUUUUUT........ if you continue to offer the amnesty period you shouldnt turn off the moo.....or do away with it all together. I do feel it is unfair to those of us who have held the splits for long term to have lost the benfits of holding on to them for eternity & still feel we should have the multiple splits re-instated if the 100000k trades stay.
Unread 02 Mar 2013, 08:44 AM
JSAdmin

not sure what you're saying re moo...or maybe you're just meaning that the moo being what it is now (which means moo is capped so that a 100,000 buy/sell has the same effect as a 10,000 buy/sell) should be eliminated.........the original/only reason we put that in was after having a run of people selling their entire portfolios and causing havoc...maybe we don't need to worry about that anymore or maybe there's a happy medium

Unread 02 Mar 2013, 09:18 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
.......the original/only reason we put that in was after having a run of people selling their entire portfolios and causing havoc...maybe we don't need to worry about that anymore or maybe there's a happy medium
havoc?

one or two selling their ports and splits would make minus moo...and would affect ports throughout the site.

its not selective or unfair....ALL ports would be affected the same negatively.

MOO

moo is an important part of the game....for competitions....and the release of interest inducing enzymes.
Right now....2-3% moo is the most i see from day to day.
That's just barely enough to flip out for a better player...which was all the fun... but can't do anymore.

moo is moot....as it is.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 02 Mar 2013, 09:36 AM
JSAdmin

moo in general is something I can adjust up/down in a snap...I used to increase it in months there were fewer comp ports in play and slide it back down as the comp ports increased....I'll admit not having done that much of late

some things you guys have to be vocal about or I won't be all that aware of....remember, I play a game here, but it's not the game you guys play!

havoc...now I don't remember how long it's been...may be many years since the adjustment for that....but havoc enough that people would have negative gains for a month because of it if memory serves