Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 26 Aug 2008, 08:37 AM
GM

Just a few things Obama should not discuss or they will be just some good old rhetoric are health care, the environment, taxing the rich, the economy, Iraq, and education.

Now I will apologize to Obama if he gives clear solutions to these problems and does not just mention them in his speech.

I won't hold my breath though.

But I may have a little problem with this though. The main purpose of rhetoric in the first place is to try to persuade people and I for one have not been persuaded by either one of these candidates actually.

Mr. Pessimist strikes again.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 26 Aug 2008, 02:02 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Barack Hussein Obama faulters during a speech again...

Obama Introduces Joe Biden as the Next "President" of the United States

And while I can't find any notes on it.... And I really didn't feel like wacthing it last night... I've heard that Barack Hussein Obama didn't even know what city he was in... Again, tell his people he was in one city, when in reality he was in another...

Not a big deal... But I sure would of liked to see if McCain did any of these mistakes how fast some of you would of jumped all over him..

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 26 Aug 2008, 02:16 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho cinco View Post
Barack Hussein Obama faulters during a speech again...

Obama Introduces Joe Biden as the Next "President" of the United States

And while I can't find any notes on it.... And I really didn't feel like wacthing it last night... I've heard that Barack Hussein Obama didn't even know what city he was in... Again, tell his people he was in one city, when in reality he was in another...

Not a big deal... But I sure would of liked to see if McCain did any of these mistakes how fast some of you would of jumped all over him..

actually most of us would probably let them go, just as we've been doing for the past few months. we could have brought up the fact that on numerous occassions McCain has referenced the Sunni (i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and believing he meant Shiite)-iran, or the iraq-al queda alliance (which we know beyond doubt didn't exist), or the existence of Czechoslovakia.

now when he referred to Social Security financing "an absolute disgrace", or his recent joke about killing Iranians by exporting cigarettes, his singing last year about bombing Iran to the tune of Barbara Ann, his belief that the notion of the economy being bad is all in our heads those are far more than simple, or his inability to remember how much real estate he owns are far more serious and should present major concerns about his values, ideals, and priorities. especially with regard to average folks.

truth is the misspeaks are going to happen no one (unless they're completely unrealistic) can expect these guys to never make a mistake given the horrendous schedules they have to maintain. but while it's ok to overlook the occasional slip of the tongue as being the result of fatigue, things like the previous paragraph are (or at least should be) indicative of some serious issues and should raise real red flags.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 26 Aug 2008, 02:52 PM
GM

Let me get this straight. Obama can't even figure out that he is the presidential candidate and not Joe Biden?

I could just chalk this up to fatigue but the fatigue is only going to intensify more rather than less as we go along here.

This does prove one other thing as well. Both McCain and Obama can both have their "senior" moments as well. Memory is the one of the things that older people tend to lose as they get older. Some loss it faster than others of course.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 26 Aug 2008, 03:13 PM
GM

Thank ocho cinco as well.

Even more links to take a look at on the page that the links goes to.

I visit many of those links already though.

We all "filter" our news each and every day if we even want to realize it or not.

Unread 26 Aug 2008, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
actually most of us would probably let them go, just as we've been doing for the past few months. we could have brought up the fact that on numerous occassions McCain has referenced the Sunni (i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and believing he meant Shiite)-iran, or the iraq-al queda alliance (which we know beyond doubt didn't exist), or the existence of Czechoslovakia.

now when he referred to Social Security financing "an absolute disgrace", or his recent joke about killing Iranians by exporting cigarettes, his singing last year about bombing Iran to the tune of Barbara Ann, his belief that the notion of the economy being bad is all in our heads those are far more than simple, or his inability to remember how much real estate he owns are far more serious and should present major concerns about his values, ideals, and priorities. especially with regard to average folks.

truth is the misspeaks are going to happen no one (unless they're completely unrealistic) can expect these guys to never make a mistake given the horrendous schedules they have to maintain. but while it's ok to overlook the occasional slip of the tongue as being the result of fatigue, things like the previous paragraph are (or at least should be) indicative of some serious issues and should raise real red flags.
I am sure you are this forgiving when President Bush miss pronounces words, right?

Nick
Unread 26 Aug 2008, 07:01 PM

HOW TO START EACH DAY WITH A POSITIVE OUTLOOK

1. Open a new file in your computer.
2. Name it 'Barack Obama'.
3. Send it to the Recycle Bin.
4. Empty the Recycle Bin.
5. Your PC will ask you: 'Do you really want to get rid of 'BarackObama?'
6. Firmly Click 'Yes.'
7. Feel better?

GOOD! - Tomorrow we'll do Nancy Pelosi!
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 26 Aug 2008, 08:45 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
I am sure you are this forgiving when President Bush miss pronounces words, right?

Nick
obviously. if i wasn't these boards would be overflowing and far exceeding their capacity given the frequency with which i'd have to post.

as with Obama and McCain, I'm not nearly as concerned with misspeaks and mispronounciations on the part of president bush as I am with his lies, distortions, and intentionally misleading words he seems so fond of offering.

I can forgive a few minor slips of the tongue (such as newkiller weapons, or when he referred to the pope as his majesty) but when it comes to the lies (especially those that result in thousands of deaths) and the blatant disrespect for our nation (such as that damn piece of paper) comment then you damn well want to believe I'm going to call him out and anyone who turns a blind eye to it as well.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan

Unread 29 Aug 2008, 10:00 PM
GM

So last night good old Obama promised earlier in the week that he would give some details in his nomination acceptance speech last night.

But I have several stories that point out that Obama did give a few details of course but not enough.

I wonder why Obama would not want to give a lot of details about his desires especially since he has been doing this since February of last year.

Oh wait it could just be that Obama does not want the voters to know what his little plans are for moving the country forward.

I love the headline of the first story.

Analysis: Obama spares details, keeps up attacks

I thought Obama was a different kind of politician and he was not going to attack McCain even if McCain attacked Obama. So much for that empty rhetoric.

Story Here

Unread 29 Aug 2008, 10:14 PM
GM

This story needs it own post. There are actually people that are starting to figure out that how is what Obama wants really going to work. Putting this here so that the main stream media does not try to bury something like this. And with issues such as the economy, taxes, energy, health care etc. and with each one of these issues the writers says there may be problems with what Obama is saying.

Something like this should have been written at least a few months ago. Maybe the main stream media was caught up with Obamamania and forgot to tell the other part of the story as well.

I would not want people to miss the problem with Obama's tax ideas and I quote, "The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, a joint effort of the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution, estimates that Obama's tax proposals would reduce projected tax revenue by $2.95 trillion over the next decade, compared to an estimate of what would happen if Bush's tax cuts were to expire as scheduled at the end of 2010."

Democrat's vision will collide with reality

By JIM DRINKARD, Associated Press Writer Thu Aug 28, 10:42 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama accepted the Democratic nomination Thursday night with a lofty vision for the nation's future that is far easier to articulate than to accomplish.

The next occupant of the White House will inherit a half-trillion-dollar budget deficit that will severely crimp any plans for spending on new programs, as well as the messy endgame of the war in Iraq and growing energy and health-care challenges. A look at Obama's promises and the realities he would confront:

THE ECONOMY AND DEFICITS

The promise: Obama has pledged to attack the weak economy with another stimulus plan to follow the $168 billion package of tax rebates for individuals and tax breaks for businesses that Congress passed last February. Obama's stimulus would include tax rebates, aid to state and local governments and increased spending for infrastructure projects. He would also increase spending in other areas such as alternative energy programs. Obama promised to "go through the federal budget, line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making the ones we do need work better and cost less."

The problem: Obama's spending plans and middle-class tax relief will collide with the hard reality of exploding budget deficits. The Congressional Budget Office projects this year's deficit will hit $400 billion, driven higher by the weak economy and the stimulus program Congress has already passed. And the Bush administration is forecasting that next year's imbalance will hit an all-time high of $482 billion.

TAXES

The promise: Retain President Bush's tax cuts for families making less than $250,000 a year and provide more relief to the squeezed middle class by creating new tax breaks for lower-income families; extend the current "patch" that keeps the Alternative Minimum Tax, designed to make sure the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, from hitting more middle-class families; exempt seniors making less than $50,000 per year from paying income taxes, expand the tax credit for college and provide incentives to encourage savings, and help pay for child care and pay mortgage expenses. "Change means a tax code that doesn't reward the lobbyists who wrote it," Obama said, "but the American workers and small businesses who deserve it."

The problem: Obama's tax proposals come with a hefty price tag. The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, a joint effort of the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution, estimates that Obama's tax proposals would reduce projected tax revenue by $2.95 trillion over the next decade, compared to an estimate of what would happen if Bush's tax cuts were to expire as scheduled at the end of 2010.

ENERGY

The promise: A short-term rebate of $1,000 per couple to help with rising energy costs; release of up to 70 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, and investment of $15 billion a year over the next decade to encourage renewable energy, clean-coal technology and electric cars. "In 10 years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East," Obama said.

The problem: The next president will take the oath of office in January and confront an immediate crisis: The cost of heating homes is likely to be at record levels. Obama's promised rebate relies on enactment of a windfall profits tax on big oil companies, which could take months and is by no means sure to get through Congress. The last time the nation had such a tax, from 1980 to 1988, U.S. reliance on foreign oil went up. His longer-term solution, encouraging alternative energy by creating a $150 billion clean energy fund, relies for financing on a program of selling pollution allowances to combat global warming that is even more uncertain.

HEALTH CARE

The promise: Increase the number of people with health insurance by having the government subsidize the cost of coverage for low- and middle-income families. To help pay for that expense, increase taxes for those families earning more than $250,000. Obama also would require employers not offering health coverage to pay a percentage of their payroll toward a national health plan. And he would mandate that children have health insurance, and expand who can participate in Medicaid and the State Children's Health Insurance Program.

The problem: While the plan would help millions of people obtain health insurance, some health analysts say it falls short of universal coverage. The Tax Policy Center says the Obama plan would reduce the number of uninsured by 18 million in 2009, from the current figure of 45 million. That still would leave millions uninsured.

Obama's plan would let people choose a public, Medicare-like plan or browse a shopping center of sorts for private insurance plans. The National Health Insurance Exchange would create rules and standards for participating private plans, and insurers would have to issue every applicant a policy regardless of pre-existing health conditions.

FOREIGN POLICY

The promise: Obama says he would engage both allies and adversaries to repair the U.S. image abroad and regain leverage and leadership that he says Bush squandered. He says he will marshal international pressure against Iran, boost U.S. efforts against extremists along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border and get a faster and firmer start on Middle East peacemaking. He vowed to "renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and curb Russian aggression."

The problem: The United States has already reversed many policies other nations saw as isolationist or bullying — for example, by joining international diplomatic efforts with "axis of evil" nations Iran and North Korea. Obama would continue those efforts and others without any greater guarantee of success. Any U.S. administration wanting to step up activity in Pakistan will face strong resistance from Pakistani authorities and probably pay the price for violating its sovereignty by seeing cooperation cut back.

DEFENSE

The promise: Pull all U.S. combat forces out of Iraq within 16 months, send more combat troops to Afghanistan and provide better care for wounded troops and veterans. "John McCain stands alone in his stubborn refusal to end a misguided war," Obama said. "That's not the judgment we need."

The problem: A troop pullout is feasible and conforms roughly to a withdrawal timetable advocated by the Iraqi government. But a 16-month timetable risks shifting responsibility to Iraq's security forces before they are ready, and it gives the insurgents an explicit target date for waiting out the Americans.

Until forces are pulled from Iraq, there are none to bolster the force in Afghanistan. Balancing needs in those two countries will be an immediate challenge for the next president. There is a broad consensus on the need for more troops to combat an emboldened insurgency in Afghanistan and to train government troops there, but the trick is to accomplish that without giving up gains against the insurgency in Iraq and without robbing combat-weary soldiers and Marines of the rest periods they need.

Caring for veterans and the wounded entails enormous costs, and the scope of the health care requirements for returning troops is not yet fully known.

EDUCATION

The promise: An $18 billion plan that would encourage, but not mandate, universal pre-kindergarten; teacher pay raises tied to, although not based solely on, test scores; an overhaul of President Bush's No Child Left Behind law to better measure student progress, make room for noncore subjects like music and art and be less punitive toward failing schools, and a tax credit to pay up to $4,000 of college costs for students who perform 100 hours of community service a year. "Now is the time to finally meet our moral obligation to provide every child a world-class education, because it will take nothing less to compete in the global economy," Obama said.

The problem: With the budget stretched thin, a huge infusion of cash for early childhood education or college costs seems unlikely. Federal spending on education has already been rising for more than a decade. Congress and the White House will be in no hurry to tackle No Child Left Behind, which was due for a rewrite in 2007; the economy, the war and health care are stickier and more pressing concerns.

___

Associated Press writers Martin Crutsinger, Kevin Freking, Robert Burns, Matthew Lee and Libby Quaid contributed to this story.

Story Here

Unread 29 Aug 2008, 10:31 PM
GM

Another story another headline and quote from me.

Headline: End to Middle East oil imports unlikely

"Obama's pledge to cut dependents on foreign oil is a key element of his overall energy policy, which envisions aggressive development of alternative fuels and technologies to improve energy efficiency."

Sounds like some more promises that Obama may not be able to keep or even want to keep for that matter.

I am of course very shocked that a politician like Obama that wants to be so different from other politicians would fall victim to Washington as usual once again.

Story Here

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 12:05 PM
GM

Well Lieberman must really out of the democrat caucus now because he was speaking at the republican convention. He said this about Obama at the republican convention in Minneapolis and I could not have said this any better or any more clearly than this, "But my friends, eloquence is no substitute for a record — not in these tough times for America."

I can't wait for the democrats to be one senator short for what I have dubbed the "magical 60" in the senate. Maybe the democrats could find a moderate republican to help further their agenda which is no better than the agenda of republicans because I have not heard a great clamor from a vast majority of voters for democrat ideas in quite some time actually.

Article Here

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 03:15 PM
GM

i heard he was upset at being spurned and not invited to speak at the DNC but it's almost shocking at how radically he'd change position in a week.

for countless years he advocated against that which he now lies with. so one must ask, has he seen the light and realized that a lifetime of work, dedication, and achievement was for naught, or is this simply another case of a politician pandering in hopes of reward.

you be the judge.

Reason: funny how one word missing changes everything
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Did you see his speech? It was not that he is going Republican, but merely that he feels that Obama is not the one right now. He even said something along the lines of "Someday Obama will do great things, but now is not his time".

Nick
Unread 04 Sep 2008, 02:05 PM
GM

Just putting here the different things Obama talked about in his acceptance speech in Denver on August 28, 2008.

I may want to go back and read part of this speech again in the future.

"I accept you nomination"
Thanks
America's promise in jeopardy
We are a better country than this
This moment
John McCain
Not "a nation of whiners"
McCain doesn't understand
Ownership society
Measuring progress
Heroes
Defining America's promise
Bringing Change
Taxes
Energy
Education
Health Care
Compensation
Budget Matters
Personal Responsibility
Promise Abroad
Common Purpose
Dismissing Dismissals
"About You"
Change Comes
Hearing the Dream

Well on this Web page on the right side next to the text of the speech a person can watch video or read different sections of this speech that I have listed above.

Little warning: The video starts when a person gets to the page but the video can be easily stopped on the left hand side of the page.

Link Here