Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 09 Apr 2007, 08:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Default shhh! I'm hunting wabbits... or am I?

Four States Report Romney Never Got Hunting Licenses

By Glen Johnson
Associated Press
Sunday, April 8, 2007; A05

Officials in the four states where Mitt Romney has lived say the Republican presidential contender, who calls himself a lifelong hunter, never took out a license.

Romney says that is because he seldom has hunted where he needed one.

Questions about his hunting activities trailed Romney last week after he remarked at a campaign stop that he has been a hunter nearly all his life. The next day, his campaign said Romney had gone hunting just twice -- once as a teenager in Idaho and last year with GOP donors in Georgia.

That was wrong, Romney said a day later. He said he had hunted rabbits and other small animals for many years, mainly in Utah. Hunting certain small game there does not require a license.

"The report that I only hunted twice is incorrect," Romney said in a statement issued Friday. "I've hunted small game numerous times, as a young man and as an adult. I'm by no means a big-game hunter. I'm more Jed Clampett than Teddy Roosevelt," he said, referring to the "Beverly Hillbillies" character.

Romney has been criticized for changing positions on issues such as abortion and gay rights during his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. Although he once supported strict gun-control measures, he has spoken in favor of gun-ownership rights while on the campaign trail and joined the National Rifle Association as a "lifetime" member last year.

His staff refused Friday to provide details about his hunting history. He does not own a firearm, though he said earlier this year that he does.

The former Massachusetts governor issued the statement Friday after the Associated Press asked wildlife officials in Michigan, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Utah for documentation verifying Romney had been a registered hunter.
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 08:55 PM
Coach

This and his stance on abortion and gay rights.

Romney: the ultimate flip flopper.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 09:08 PM

No..Kerry (also from Mass) was the ultimate flip-flopper

Romney is a close 2nd......
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 09:38 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

you know it's election season when whether or not someone has been an active hunter is deemed newsworthy.

truth is i could care less how often if ever he hunted. what's lost in that story is his flipping on the issue of gun control. a far bigger issue to his "conservative" base i would think then whether he hunted rabbits in utah or not.

it's as pertinent to his ability to perform the duties of the executive (or lack thereof) as obama's wardrobe is. you can't tell me that the opposition (who we all know leaks these stories) can't do better than this.

shoot given the elitism of the evangelical right-winged base i would think simply exploiting the fact he's a mormon will be sufficient to make him a non-factor. hunting (and even his past position on gun control, abortion, and equal rights) won't be near as damning to his chances for winning the nomination of his party as his religious beliefs will be.
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 10:26 PM
Hall of Famer

John McCain has turned out to be the biggest flip flopping lying SOB out there, by far. Heck, he even admits that he lies (he calls it "misspeaks"), and says it's fun to do.

Video: John McCain vs. John McCain

Fox News Video: McCain flip flops on abortion

McCain Discusses Iraq Market Visit

. . . The week before, trying to build support for the surge, he said this on television: "General Petraeus goes out there almost every day in an unarmed Humvee."

And he said this on the radio: "There are neighborhoods in Baghdad where you and I could walk through those neighborhoods today."

Those words came back to haunt him in a Baghdad news conference. And he made it worse.

"Senator McCain, I just read in the Internet that you said there are areas in Baghdad that you can walk around freely," a reporter asked.

"Yeah, I just came from one," McCain replied.

But backing up that stroll through the market were ten armored Humvees, soldiers with rifles, and two Apache attack helicopters circling overhead.

. . . "There is no unarmored Humvee, obviously that’s the case," McCain says. "I’m trying to make the point over and over and over again that we are making progress. There are signs of progress. But it’s long and it’s hard and it’s tough."

. . . "Of course I'm going to misspeak and I've done it on numerous occasions and I probably will do in the future. I regret that when I divert attention to something that I've said from my message but you know that's just life, and I'm happy frankly with the way I operate, otherwise it would be a lot less fun," McCain says.
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 10:33 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
truth is i could care less how often if ever he hunted. what's lost in that story is his flipping on the issue of gun control. a far bigger issue to his "conservative" base i would think then whether he hunted rabbits in utah or not.
The flipping of issues is the big thing Im seeing with the Republican candidates in general. I can understand why guys like Newt are being considered for a Republican run. After all you have Romney with the things I mentioned above, Guillani again with the abortion and gay rights, and Mccain in just about everything as he both panders to the right wing base and selling everyone else his "straight talk express" which is turning into double talk worthy of from when Bill was on office.

Edit:- And led beat me about the Mccain point.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time

Unread 09 Apr 2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Question: Is any President/Vice President ever safe in the States without the CIA's help? Just wondering.

Nick
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 01:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

I wonder if any of us could pass the scrutiny that all the candidates go thru. I sometimes wonder if the candidates don't do things that the media will focus on just so they don't go back and find even dumber stuff from their past.

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 04:01 PM
Lost in the Woods(again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Question: Is any President/Vice President ever safe in the States without the CIA's help? Just wondering.

Nick
I don't know how much help they are? They seemed to keep on screwing things up. Besides, I thought it's the Secret Service (aka Treasury dept.) job to protected the president.
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music Express View Post
I don't know how much help they are? They seemed to keep on screwing things up. Besides, I thought it's the Secret Service (aka Treasury dept.) job to protected the president.
Whatever it is. My point was, no matter how safe it is over there, precautions always need to be taken.

Nick