Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Techie Corner
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Techie Corner Ask/Answer computer questions

Unread 13 Sep 2012, 10:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw
Default iPhone 5 - What's All The Hype About?

I've been reading up on the specs for the new iPhone 5 because it seems as if Apple always thinks it is the "innovator" of new smartphone features and/or the "standard" as to which smartphones are set by.

So, let's list some of the key features for the new iPhone and see how they stack up against most any Android phone...

Thinnest smartphone - may be true right now, but every quarter smartphones have continued to get thinner. Several Android phones are set to be released by the years end that will either be equal or thinner than the iPhone 5. And when the word "thinnest" is thrown around, we are talking thinnest by a millimeter or less, so technically it is the thinnest, but only by the most literal measurement. If anything, it should be touted as to being as thin as the rest of the smartphones.

4 inch display, biggest in iPhone history - my Droid X which I've had for 2 years has a 4.3 inch display.

Add a 5th row of icons - with Android you can get any number of launchers, many of which allow you to customize your display to your liking including as many rows of icons as you can tolerate.

The new, improved A6 processor - basically a quad-core processor, something Android phones have had since the beginning of this year.

An 8 megapixel camera and panorama picture taking - Again, my Droid X from 2010 has an 8 megapixel camera and can take panoramic pictures using GPS so it is very easy to "stitch" your pictures together in any arrangement you want ... you can take a multi-frame picture and go both horizontal and vertical or some of both.

I've been holding out for a new phone for a bit, but I think the Droid Razr HD Maxx, that is suppose to come out next month, is the one that I am going to get and from what I can tell, will be a much better phone than the iPhone 5, imo.

Unread 13 Sep 2012, 11:49 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

got a kick outta Conan last night when he talked about this phone............suggesting some people are so enamored of anything Apple they could take a piece of paper, put an i in front of it, and they'd line up to buy it.................sadly, it's probably true, too

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 13 Sep 2012, 02:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

I've always scratched my head when Apple unveils their "newest" products and they are are essentially a more locked down version of something already available with a different gui. (ie: iPods < any variant mp3 player; iPhone < most every other smart phone out there) Yet, their consumers think they have the latest greatest thing....

I've always said Apple has a great marketing team and I agree with you there Orren that they could sell a blank sheet of paper as the new iPaper and charge $5 a sheet and they'd have people lining up to buy it and then telling you how much more awesome it is than your sheet of paper that you paid less than 1 cent for.

Is the iPhone a bad product, no. But is it truly the "best" phone available right now? Specs and basic component comparison would say absolutely not.

And I think this video probably best illustrates iPhone users...

Unread 14 Sep 2012, 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Here's an article about the iPhone 5 and some of the new features that Android phones have but the iPhone 5 won't.
Unread 17 Sep 2012, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
Here's an article about the iPhone 5 and some of the new features that Android phones have but the iPhone 5 won't.
Anymore, the iPhone is solely sold on Fanboyism and ease-of-use.

My Grandma could use the iPhone out of the box, download and install apps without issue. My Grandma would probably struggle with an Android phone, simply because it isn't as dumbed-down as the iPhone.

Nick
Unread 18 Sep 2012, 02:46 PM
Hall of Famer

As more specs are coming out so is more questions as to why the iPhone 5 truly isn't anything "new"...

- Apple's secure software will only permit the use of their own, proprietary system (Passbook) meaning no PayPal (along with others for secure payments options) and not being able to exchange info by tapping your phones together.

- No alternative keyboard input style. I know Motorola has had the Swype input style for a while and I really enjoy it...you can use one finger, never lift it off the screen while typing a word, and very quickly crank out a message.

- Still no external SD card option. I've had an external SD card for my last 4 phones (8+ years) ... every picture, video and anything else I have wanted to save from those phones is still on an external SD card and viewable with my current phone...my has camera resolution improved!

- With no external SD card option you would think that Apple would then up the internal storage capacity of their new iPhone 5. Nope. Internal 64 gb is the maximum amount of storage for your iPhone 5.

- Remember all those great iPhone accessories you purchased? All worthless with the iPhone 5 because they changed their docking port. Yes, Apple is saying you can buy a $30 "converter" that will work "with some devices" but I have a hunch Apple fans are too concerned with appearance and wouldn't stoop to buying a converter.

- No HDMI video out. To watch video off your phone on another device you will need to buy Apple's proprietary cable (or an Apple TV) to watch your videos on something other than your iPhone. All "high end" Android devices typically have had HDMI out available since the beginning and now even the more affordable options come standard with HDMI out.
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 12:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I've been holding out for a new phone for a bit, but I think the Droid Razr HD Maxx, that is suppose to come out next month, is the one that I am going to get and from what I can tell, will be a much better phone than the iPhone 5, imo.
Next week I'll be getting my Razr HD phone as its announced to be released on Oct. 18...here are a few differences I am putting up with that phone rather than getting an iPhone 5...

Screen size: iPhone 4'' (1136x640 resolution), Razr HD 4.7'' (1280x720 resolution)

Processor: iPhone 5 has a dual core 1.3 ghz processor, Droid Razr HD is a 1.5 ghz dual core.

Ram: Both have 1 gig.

Storage: iPhone available in 16, 32 or 64 gb. Razr HD: 32 gb.

Removable storage: iPhone not allowed, Razr HD: up to 32 gb micro-sd card

Camera: iPhone 8 megapixels, standard def video capture. Razr HD: 8 megapixels, HD video capture.

TV Out: iPhone: apple TV required, Droid Razr HD: DLNA and HDMI outputs.

The iPhone is 2 centimeters smaller and weighs about 45 grams less...but considering the screen size of the Razr HD is almost 3/4'' larger, I can see some size/weight differences and expected.
Unread 11 Oct 2012, 01:10 PM

sounds like no contest..........price comparison?
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 12 Oct 2012, 09:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
sounds like no contest..........price comparison?
The 32 gb iPhone 5, from Verizon, with a new contract (or renewal) they are selling for $299. For the 32 gb Razr HD they are selling it for $199. For $299 you can get the Razr HD Maxx which is the same phone as the Razr HD but with a bigger battery.
Unread 12 Oct 2012, 10:07 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

haven't even gone smartphone myself as yet, but have been contemplating it of late.......hadn't had one thought about an iPhone, but had been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3...but the only 'advantage' I'm seeing there over the new razr is to be able to transfer files by touching phones..and I can't think of a time I'd even find that useful

But...you're saying the ONLY difference in the Maxx is the battery? $100 just for a bigger battery?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 12 Oct 2012, 10:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
haven't even gone smartphone myself as yet, but have been contemplating it of late.......hadn't had one thought about an iPhone, but had been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3...but the only 'advantage' I'm seeing there over the new razr is to be able to transfer files by touching phones..and I can't think of a time I'd even find that useful

But...you're saying the ONLY difference in the Maxx is the battery? $100 just for a bigger battery?
I'm not a fan of Samsung (Korean) phones. They are very "pretty" and have tons of features, but as for reliability, reception and durability I think the Samsung devices lack.

Yes, the ONLY difference in the Maxx is the battery life. The Razr HD has a 2500 mAh battery, the Maxx will have a 3300 mAh battery (early tests have this one at over 20 hours of talk time). And for reference, at least for me, my Droid X has a 1540 mAh battery and I can usually get through the day without needing to charge it, so even the Razr HD should have plenty of battery for most normal users, imo.
Unread 19 Oct 2012, 03:54 PM
Hall of Famer

I picked up my Rzr HD phone today and so far...am loving it...

Very nice and bright screen, very responsive.

I was surprised...the Rzr HD and the Rzr HD Maxx are the exact same size...I thought the Maxx would be a little fatter, but it wasn't...

It amazes me, walk into a cell phone place with a number of about what one would think you would pay to simply "upgrade" your phone and account and it's always at least $100 more than I anticipated...they got a nice racket going that's for sure....
Unread 05 Dec 2012, 04:22 PM
Got Xbox One?

I wish I had waited for the original Droid Razr Maxx.

The battery life on the Razr is horrible.

If you have the ability to get one with Maxx in the name, that is the one to choose.
Unread 05 Dec 2012, 04:23 PM
Got Xbox One?

Quote:
I picked up my Rzr HD phone today and so far...am loving it...

Very nice and bright screen, very responsive.

I was surprised...the Rzr HD and the Rzr HD Maxx are the exact same size...I thought the Maxx would be a little fatter, but it wasn't...

It amazes me, walk into a cell phone place with a number of about what one would think you would pay to simply "upgrade" your phone and account and it's always at least $100 more than I anticipated...they got a nice racket going that's for sure....
Who is your provider?
Unread 06 Dec 2012, 02:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDiamond View Post
Who is your provider?
Verizon.

I do have to say that after all is said and done...two months later...my monthly cell phone bill will be $20 a month cheaper (I also have my 15 year old daughter on my plan) and for the first time have unlimited calling and texting ... although paying for data, we have found that we can use our wifi and our data usage is less than 1 gb a month for both phones, so we save a bundle in that area.

Verizon upgraded our area to 4g very early...in fact, I have finally gotten a 4g phone where it has been available for well over a year here. I get great reception, never any dropped calls even as I travel throughout the upper midwest.

And the Droid Razr HD Maxx ... I have been completely satisfied with the Razr HD ... I easily get 2 days of life out of it on a full charge, it is fast and built solid...it doesn't look nor feel like the "plastic" cell phones like Samsung, Apple, etc...

It also just upgraded to Jelly Bean on Tuesday and I am eagerly awaiting to find someone that has NFC capability so I can do the touch phones together to trade pics, etc... hopefully stores will be quick to adapt the technology and I will soon be paying for my items with a simple click of my cell phone...