Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
SayOw....this theory of yours is extremely believable. Wouldn't surprise me one single bit if things turned out precisely how you've described.
As long as McCain can keep the race close gas prices will continue to drop...

I really should have added the prediction that McCain's VP choice would be so closely tied to the big oil to make sure he secures their support and money but I didn't think he was that big of a wh0re but all candidates are when they run for president.

But I'm sure someone has a valid reason why McCain would choose a vice president candidate that is married to a BP employee and that there would be absolutely no conflict of interest there...and I'm sure the oil companies would surely not want someone sitting in that office that has close ties to oil (again) for they would surely not have any political gain there... I mean there wasn't an American oil company in Iraq for over 40 years and now the four largest American oil companies somehow got the rights to drill in the richest oil fields in Iraq earlier this year during a non-competitive bidding process...so there would be no reason why the oil companies would want the American military to remain in Iraq to protect their interests... buying a president is cheaper then arming an army...

American politics have become so ridiculously transparent....

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 08:02 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork
All you are doing is regurgitating the 'excuses' as to why oil is supposedly dropping in price...just as I predicted...

Make sure you keep me posted on oil prices after the election and the steep oil price increases (again) ... because I am sure you will have all the excuses that big oil will put out for you to gobble up and enjoy. But in the end, my prophecy will come true.
Does it make you miss the good old days... like the summer of 2000, when gas prices did the exact same thing?

Nice of President Clinton to play along with the conspiracy back then Didn't seem to help Algore. Well, maybe with the Pulitzer, Grammy, and Oscar folks.

Quote:
that was an entirely different situation. it was a legitimate crisis not a crisis manufactured by inflating the market, marketing, and protection from the highest levels of government.
Carter being the most dreadful president EVER may have had more to do with it than you concede.

Quote:
the more things change huh?
Speaking of excuses...

Care to preview the Top 10 for when (not if) the Dems lose this time?

They are 3 for the last 11 presidential elections.

Surely there must be something better than the price of oil.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 08:36 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i can't take credit for SayOw's prophecy (although i can't say he's wrong etiher)

what i can do is address the two parts of the quote that were mine.

first in 1973, carter wasn't president i'll leave it at that.

second, i won't presume to make any predictions about the outcome of the election. while i really don't see the right holding on to the executive, the politics of fear and hate have won out before (whether it be commies, gays, invocations of 9-11 in irrelevant and unrealistic contexts, fabricated threats with no basis in reality, etc) so i'm not about to count those proverbial chickens just yet.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 08:41 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
So then riddle me this... how come prices didn't even flinch higher with hurricane Gustov? You and I both know that historically even the slightest hint of a hurricane hitting the Gulf region sends oil prices higher and regardless if the oil production was disrupted or not, the price remains higher after the weather system has passed?

It's plenty easy to come up with excuses as to why gas prices go higher, but no one ever questions big oil as to why oil prices don't ever go lower after the rationale to raise prices has either expired or never materialized. And in this case, why has every other hurricane that has threatened the Gulf region sent oil prices higher except for this time and, in fact, oil prices continue to decline?

And I'm sure the answer will be increased production, little disruption into distribution, lowered demand, etc...the undisputed answers to any questions given to big oil ... yet, they pretty much price as they see fit....
I follow Oil prices everyday... As the storm approached the coast/oil rigs prices did jump... I think it went up 2 or 3$ a couple days leading up to the storm. Once the storm passed, the oil prices adjusted back to what they were pro-storm or went lower...

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:06 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
i can't take credit for SayOw's prophecy (although i can't say he's wrong etiher)

what i can do is address the two parts of the quote that were mine.

first in 1973, carter wasn't president i'll leave it at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader
I am assuming you lived through this 'oil crisis' in the 70's, no?
Quote:
in 1973, there was a true shortage as OPEC withheld shipments and refused to export oil.
While the "oil crisis" of the '70s may have begun in '73, it continued until the very same time the "hostage crisis" ended.

Hours before Reagan was sworn in.

4 years of Carter, and the situation got worse- not better.

To quote democrats.senate.gov:

"Under President Nixon Gas Prices Increased by 18 Cents per Gallon. When President Nixon took office in 1969, the yearly average price of regular leaded gasoline was 35 cents per gallon. When he left office in 1974, the yearly average price of regular leaded gas had climbed by 18 cents to 53 cents per gallon. [EIA Yearly Historical Data]

Under President Ford Gas Prices Increased by 9 Cents per Gallon. When President Ford took office in 1974, the yearly average price of regular leaded gasoline was 53 cents per gallon. When he left office in 1977, the yearly average price of regular leaded gas had climbed by 9 cents to 62 cents per gallon. [EIA Yearly Historical Data]

When President Carter took office in 1977, the yearly average price of regular unleaded gasoline was 66 cents per gallon. In 1981, when he left office the yearly average price had increased by 72 cents to $1.38 per gallon.[EIA Yearly Historical Data]"

Of course, the article I used was written to make Bush look bad. But, $2 a gallon gas was a regular event long before Clinton was out of office.

We'd be paying at least $4.40 if W. was as "bad" as Carter. But then again, I chose nutjobs as a source.
My Facebook Profile

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:19 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
While the "oil crisis" of the '70s may have begun in '73, it continued until the very same time the "hostage crisis" ended.

Hours before Reagan was sworn in.

4 years of Carter, and the situation got worse- not better.

To quote democrats.senate.gov:

"Under President Nixon Gas Prices Increased by 18 Cents per Gallon. When President Nixon took office in 1969, the yearly average price of regular leaded gasoline was 35 cents per gallon. When he left office in 1974, the yearly average price of regular leaded gas had climbed by 18 cents to 53 cents per gallon. [EIA Yearly Historical Data]

Under President Ford Gas Prices Increased by 9 Cents per Gallon. When President Ford took office in 1974, the yearly average price of regular leaded gasoline was 53 cents per gallon. When he left office in 1977, the yearly average price of regular leaded gas had climbed by 9 cents to 62 cents per gallon. [EIA Yearly Historical Data]

When President Carter took office in 1977, the yearly average price of regular unleaded gasoline was 66 cents per gallon. In 1981, when he left office the yearly average price had increased by 72 cents to $1.38 per gallon.[EIA Yearly Historical Data]"

Of course, the article I used was written to make Bush look bad. But, $2 a gallon gas was a regular event long before Clinton was out of office.

We'd be paying at least $4.40 if W. was as "bad" as Carter. But then again, I chose nutjobs as a source.
actually prior to the recent drop many places were paying damn near if not at 4.40. i'm surprised being in the northeast you weren't. hell we were at 3.95 way down here and i know in July NY was over 4.60

of course again the reasons are different. the crisis of the 70's was due to a refusal by OPEC to distribute. the crisis now is due to unchecked, runway, and borderline shady at best business dealings.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:20 PM
GM

and for the record while i don't think carter was the worst president ever, i wouldn't exactly place him near the elite myself.

i've mentioned it before, i'm not actually a registered democrat and i don't really have any true loyalties to any one party it's just these days there's no viable option to the democratic party that is reasonably appealing.

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:25 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
actually prior to the recent drop many places were paying damn near if not at 4.40. i'm surprised being in the northeast you weren't. hell we were at 3.95 way down here and i know in July NY was over 4.60

of course again the reasons are different. the crisis of the 70's was due to a refusal by OPEC to distribute. the crisis now is due to unchecked, runway, and borderline shady at best business dealings.
I live in Philly, but work in South Jersey. The highest I paid was just over $4. We're back to $3.23 now.

Compared to Europe, I'd take our prices any day (either way).

Judging from the ratio of gas guzzlers compared to economy cars on the highways, so would the rest of America.

Still.
My Facebook Profile
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:27 PM
GM

Quote:
I live in Philly, but work in South Jersey. The highest I paid was just over $4. We're back to $3.23 now.
that's just flat not fair. you're really paying 3.23? want to ship some down my way we're still at 3.59 here and i thought that was great

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:29 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
and for the record while i don't think carter was the worst president ever, i wouldn't exactly place him near the elite myself.

i've mentioned it before, i'm not actually a registered democrat and i don't really have any true loyalties to any one party it's just these days there's no viable option to the democratic party that is reasonably appealing.
I'm aware of that.

Actually, I am registered Independent myself.

In a Democratic city, in a Republican state (Rendell notwithstanding), we get some interesting political waves to surf.
My Facebook Profile
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:30 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
that's just flat not fair. you're really paying 3.23? want to ship some down my way we're still at 3.59 here and i thought that was great
I may start that as a side job :P

Sprint Navigator is a BEAUTIFUL thing. "Find Gas by Price" rocks.

But it isn't that difficult. I can think of at least 3 different places on Rt. 73 with cheap fuel.
My Facebook Profile

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 10:36 PM
GM

Quote:
I may start that as a side job :P

Sprint Navigator is a BEAUTIFUL thing. "Find Gas by Price" rocks.

But it isn't that difficult. I can think of at least 3 different places on Rt. 73 with cheap fuel.
well shoot i'm heading up that way in october and then again in november think i'm bringing all my red cans with me.....

Unread 04 Sep 2008, 09:22 AM
GM

What will happen to the gas prices when Obama is president?

Just wondering.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 04 Sep 2008, 09:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
What will happen to the gas prices when Obama is president?

Just wondering.
No matter who gets elected president gas prices will continue to rise...once they know they can rape you they aren't going to stop...and why should they? If Obama would be elected, he would likely have to cater to big oil in some regards and if he doesn't they will make sure he is only a 1 term president.

But big oil is going to do their best to get McCain in...and I think now that Palin is on the ticket, they will make even a bigger attempt to do so... heck, gas could go down to $2.50 a gallon if McCain really falls in the polls, but could hit that level by election day just for that last little push over the top... then starting Nov. 5 gas prices will begin to rise again...
Unread 04 Sep 2008, 02:40 PM
GM

It is kind of strange to me but it actually it makes perfect sense what SayOw is saying if a person really thinks about it.

Oil is the one industry that makes our country run. And as I keep trying to say there is almost no other industry in the economy that either directly or indirectly is so connected to oil in some ways we don't even really understand to be quite frank. Eventually what I just said may not be the case but right now it very much is true.

Oil is so big to me that it actually could influence the outcome of any election and not just this one.

We only have to look at the last two presidential elections. Gore and Kerry both said they were not big fans of oil and they both lost. There are many reasons why both of them lost but to say oil does not have at least some influence is to be a little naive when I really think about it.

McCain has come out and said he thinks that oil is very important to him. Well he did not really come out and say that but I do get the impression from hearing McCain speak about this it is the case for McCain.

Obama has said I think that limited drilling could be used in the short term but it is not a long term solution to our oil dependence problem.

So I am not going to even argue the point that SayOw is trying to make that the oil industry is trying to influence who the next president is.

There is another factor. Obama has come out and said I think that he wants to tax the "windfall" profits of big oil.

And it makes perfect sense to me that the price of barrel of oil will go back up again after the election is over because no matter who the next president is the oil industry will be go right back to making the profits that they always have and always will until we stop them from doing so. But this is rather difficult to do.

As I mentioned very recently if there was no car on the road that used gas as an energy source we would still use about five million barrels of oil per day.

Just stop and think about what I just said.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.