Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 02 Mar 2009, 01:00 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
Can they get him chiseled in by January?

Forget that the DOW has been down over 25% since his election, even though we were told he was "priced in" before then-
...and as the Dow dives below 7000, what amazes me is the rate it has dropped since the Inauguration.

Volumes are at an all time high, also.

If Obama/Pelosi/Reid/Frank/Geitner have more than just the promise of a plan, it might be a great time to bust it out.

Looks like the one they talk about is impressing nobody.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.

Unread 02 Mar 2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Januray 20 was inauguration day, right?

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^...urce=undefined
Unread 02 Mar 2009, 07:32 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

it's not showing either chart for that date. not sure why.
My Facebook Profile
Unread 02 Mar 2009, 11:46 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Januray 20 was inauguration day, right?
Yes it was and the DJIA was just a shade under 8,000 points then. [Right around 7949]

Just wait until we get all of this health care improvement, infrastructure that is so desperately needed, and green technology to save the planet, and education well I don't really know what that is for except to teach kids how to vote for democrats. But when all of this gets going the DJIA will be well over 10,000 once again I am so sure of it.

But there is one little problem. I would say that most of the people that are going to be getting jobs in these areas do not have jobs now. Well I take that back. I sure would hope we would not be trusting setting up a new electrical grid to just anyone just as an example. So some of these jobs are going to be very specialized. So what this basically means people are going to be getting back to basics and will not have a lot of money to spend on other things such as entertainment at least for a while.

I hope this is like first year of Carter where the economy was really bad when it went from like 1000 down to 750 and then at the end of Carter's time in office it went all the way back up to where it was when he first got into office. Something for Obama to strive for. Eventually get us back to 8,000.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 03 Mar 2009, 12:12 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
.. and education well I don't really know what that is for e
wow???? really?????

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 03 Mar 2009, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
wow???? really?????
Education is definitely important, but you took the comment out of context. Regardless, this is not a Federal issue. It is a State issue. End of discussion. There are only a handful of things that should ever be considered Federal issues. A couple [just so you do no think I am crazy; though that may be too late] would be the FAA, the military, NASA, etc.

Nick
Unread 03 Mar 2009, 12:59 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Education is definitely important, but you took the comment out of context. Regardless, this is not a Federal issue. It is a State issue. End of discussion. There are only a handful of things that should ever be considered Federal issues. A couple [just so you do no think I am crazy; though that may be too late] would be the FAA, the military, NASA, etc.

Nick
education is a federal issue. it was made so the minute each person in this nation was guaranteed a free public education. from that moment on it became federal.

i'd be happy to offer the long and rich history of the transfer of power from the carlisle model to federal model but this sums it up far better and far more concisely than i would

Elizabeth Reilly, Education and The Constitution: Shaping Each Other and the Next Century, 34 Akron Law Review 1 (2000).

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan

Unread 03 Mar 2009, 01:07 AM
All Pro

Quote:
wow???? really?????
and education well I don't really know what that is for except to teach kids how to vote for democrats.

Why don't you quote the rest of Peter's sentence rather than only the part that could put him in a bad light? Seems to me I recall you calling folks out for doing the same thing with some of your posts.

Hypocritical????
Unread 03 Mar 2009, 01:18 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymy View Post
and education well I don't really know what that is for except to teach kids how to vote for democrats.

Why don't you quote the rest of Peter's sentence rather than only the part that could put him in a bad light? Seems to me I recall you calling folks out for doing the same thing with some of your posts.

Hypocritical????
because i figured to point out the rest of that was tantamount to calling him a politicizing idiot. i wanted badly to give him the benefit of the doubt and not lessen the credibility by perpetuating such a ridiculous statement. the statement was the same, clearly he claimed not to know the point of education and then followed it up by what is tantamount to spiteful comment. those which typically result in fighting.

i'm sorry next time i'll refrain from trying to use good judgment. in fact i'll slip back to the corner and resume my reading and reveling in the enjoyment i get by seeing how quick folks are to change their tunes. like i said, what a difference a month can make. i'm still waiting to see when all those comments about hatred and blindness, etc come out. but not with baited breath

Unread 03 Mar 2009, 01:23 AM
All Pro

Wait a minute......are you trying to make the claim that the education system, including their unions, are not huge democatic supporters? You can't really believe we are that ignorant.
Unread 03 Mar 2009, 01:25 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymy View Post
Wait a minute......are you trying to make the claim that the education system, including their unions, are not huge democatic supporters? You can't really believe we are that ignorant.
nope making no claims at all, just sitting back and enjoying the show nothing more nothing less

Unread 03 Mar 2009, 01:30 AM
All Pro

Quote:
because i figured to point out the rest of that was tantamount to calling him a politicizing idiot. i wanted badly to give him the benefit of the doubt and not lessen the credibility by perpetuating such a ridiculous statement. the statement was the same, clearly he claimed not to know the point of education and then followed it up by what is tantamount to spiteful comment.
Where exactly did he say he did not know the point of education? I have read and reread his post and I can't find it.
Unread 03 Mar 2009, 01:38 AM
All Pro

Quote:
nope making no claims at all, just sitting back and enjoying the show nothing more nothing less
Hypocritical and arrogant at the same time?
Unread 03 Mar 2009, 01:45 AM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
because i figured to point out the rest of that was tantamount to calling him a politicizing idiot. i wanted badly to give him the benefit of the doubt and not lessen the credibility by perpetuating such a ridiculous statement.
Cool.

'Cause if you were to, anyone could point to Democratic tactics of blanketing college campuses during elections, high schools via "motor voter", and the recent ploy of dropping political plugs into 8th Grade text books.

Might not go over well.
My Facebook Profile

Unread 03 Mar 2009, 11:53 AM
GM

Wow I am kind of surprised that my comment about education caused such a stir.

Well that is o.k. I have several examples of the educational system trying to steer young people towards the democrats way of thinking.

Why is it that so many schools do not even want to mention the word Christmas anymore. It is now called Winter Holiday, Winter Break etc.

Then in science I am sure there are at least some experiments that kids do that are under the guise of learning but they are trying to get the kids to support the "green" movement.

Just as an example I was reading about some weird experiment about kids trying to grow something in two different types of environments. Now I don't even really remember what the kids were trying to grow. But I do remember something about it. It would grow much more easily in a normal environment than in an environment that was much warmer than the other one. In a weird sort of way this was supposed to be really about global warming. I am sure the teacher would go on and on about that she never mentioned this to the kids of course.

Then there is several examples of colleges supporting the "green" movement as well. They have there little trash cans where people can put their soda cans and plastic bottles. There is also another tiny little waste basket where people can put the paper to be recycled as well. And don't even try to convince me that part of the reason for this is not only to save the planet but also to push the "green" movement as well.

In some ways these are very subliminal messages.

And what exactly are the reasons why so many school children were asked to watch Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth at school.

I am very sure this documentary was very educational for the kids that did get this opportunity. I am being very sarcastic here.

And I would not even really want to know what is happening on college campuses when it comes to this as well. In this type of situation there can actually be a sort of crowd mentality for a lack of a better term. Many kids want to find a way to try to fit in and this does give these students a way to do this and to be part of something as well.

I was never really this way as people can imagine. I do say some things that goes very much against what people would think on a very wide range of topics and not just this one.

I want to mention one other thing about this. This effects us all one way or another and even at the federal level of government. Many young people voted for Obama and part of the reason was that Obama exemplified what people had been learning in school. I did not mince words when I said that I thought at least part of the reason why democrats so want to control education is to get people to vote for them. I have already given several example of how even kids are trying to be swayed even while they are at school.

I think it would be fascinating to see how young people have voted in the last few presidential election. I would take a wild guess that Obama was very popular with the youngest demographic possible in the presidential election last year. There are many factors in this of course but I can't just look the other way and say that these young people education played absolutely no role in their decision at all.

And Obama did play one thing very well that I mentioned a little earlier. Many young people are just trying to fit in and Obama tried to give them that experience that they were a part of something. This was also the case with many adults as well. I never got the feeling ever that Obama was any more special than any other politician. But that is just me of course.

And there is little doubt in my mind that I did not even start to scratch the surface of the educational system trying to influence even kids and young adults to vote for democrats.

Of course the main function of education is so that people can learn. I just have a problem with some of the things we are teaching kids. I gave several examples of this and even why I thought it was not such a good thing in several of my example as well.

And not to really make an excuse I made my comments about education very late for me last night. But I still stand 100% behind what I said about education and that is just part of the reason I gave several examples as well. Another reason why this is not a good thing in some cases is that it takes away from the basics that people need to learn in order to succeed in life latter on.

And we can all learn from this as well. I am sure many people would try to deny what I said about education is even happening. But the reality of the situation as I mentioned earlier what we are discussing does effect all of us in a very direct way if we want to even realize it or not.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.

Reason: Change the order of some words to make it more readable. Did not change the meaning of what I said in the least bit.