Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 30 Aug 2007, 11:14 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default OK so I have to ask

how could yet another crook (read as the soon to be former AG) step down and it goes unmentioned on these boards.

i'd call it a victory for American ideology but given the last time it happened the replacement was just as anti-american as the guy he replaced i'm holding off on calling it a victory for the US until we see who's next in line.

i thought about mentioning it earlier this week but figured I'd temper my thrill for now for reasons stated above.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 30 Aug 2007, 11:31 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
i thought about mentioning it earlier this week but figured I'd temper my thrill for now for reasons stated above.
Im waiting for the other shoe to drop. Over the weekend it was leaked about this and that Chertoff would replace him. *shudder* The thought of someone even more incompetent than AGAG more than tempered my enthusiasm, and given all the Regent University grads throughout the DOJ now, theres probably some yokel there who could really drag things down.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 30 Aug 2007, 11:39 PM
GM

I have been busy the last few days and we are eventually going to have to discuss Mrs. Clinton getting donations from one fund raiser bundler that may be getting donations from overseas that far exceed campaign limits under current law.

But the media has been focusing their attention on another republican sex story at the moment.

Is the president all of sudden going to change and play nice and do whatever the democrats want him to do?

When exactly was the last time the president actually did what democrats want him to do just by them applying a little bit of pressure on the president?

We also know that the next attorney general whomever it may be will be criticized no matter what they do. Just look at what has happened to both Ashcroft and Gonzalez to see what I mean.

And the next question I could ask who the heck would want to be the next A.G. in the first place?

I could dare say very capable people may not even want to bother to want to go through the process of becoming the A.G.

I haven't looked to see if presidential candidate Senator Biden is the chairman of the Judiciary committee again like he was for the confirmation of Justice Thomas? This just ads another dynamic to the situation where Biden may want to declare that he himself and only himself approved the best possible candidate for the A.G. job.

Have people actually been watching the grandstanding of member of both parties in congress this year? I can't wait for the people to realize this and it may take some time but it will eventually happen when the people start asking the simple question what have you been doing for me lately?

I have another question. Will Alberto be going before the congress comes back and if so can the president make a recess appointment?

btw, There are many different stories we could talk about there are just so many hours in the day.

I will try to get around to China being a bigger contributer than the U.S. when it comes to greenhouse gases latter on this year if it has not happened allready.

Then Newsweek recently had a very important story about William and his failure to capture or kill Bin Laden how many times?

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 30 Aug 2007, 11:45 PM
Coach

Via the Washington Post:

Quote:
Paul Kane: This is the $64,000 question of the moment. Very interestingly, Chuck Schumer and Dianne Feinstein told myself and Jonathan Weisman in separate interviews Monday that if Bush picks a consensus AG, that the spirit and drive of the Dem investigations into the US attorney firings would likely dissipate. Chuck Schumer said that! This guy's made his political living off of this scandal. not only that, Schumer signaled to me that he likes Paul Clement, the solicitor general who will be acting AG. Clement is a former Judiciary Committee senior aide, who worked for John Ashcroft on the panel when he was a senator.

These are very interesting times at the White House.
Somehow I dont think thats the other shoe that Im waiting for to drop on this.

Unread 31 Aug 2007, 07:32 AM
GM

There has also been in the last few days the annual report that the only people in New Orleans that are getting adequate relief they so desperately need are the rich, white people in the French Quarter.

Then there was the new comparison to the gulf coast of Mississippi. This is a really good comparison as we all know there is a huge city right along the gulf coast in Mississippi that is also below flood stage.

Then there was the brief mention of the 10th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana.

I don't know how we are supposed to fit in a story about the A.G. when we have all of these other very important news stories because as we all know the only reason it would even be a story is to remind people how evil the president really is and if of course people have no clue how horrible this president has been and this is coming from a former president that gave us double digit inflation and unemployment, long gas lines with rare cases of gas rationing and a hostage crisis in Iran. Former President Carter is highly qualified to know when he sees the worst president in history.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 31 Aug 2007, 07:53 AM
GM

I forgot that former Senator Fred Thompson announced yesterday when he is going to announce that he is indeed running for president.

At least when it comes to the evening news there is only so many actual minutes to tell the news and the people running the various news departments have to determine which stories need to be told and which stories are not going to be told.

And people ask the question from time to time why are so many news stories so short. That is part of reason. I am sure the evening news took their time on the Senator Craig story because it is so important for people to realize how corrupt the republican party really is. Of course people should not have been able to figure that out from the elections last year.

I was watching television recently and they said that the evening news early on was actually only fifteen minutes long. Does anyone remember this? And when did the evening news switch over to a thirty minute broadcast?

Unread 31 Aug 2007, 09:27 AM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpeter72 View Post
I don't know how we are supposed to fit in a story about the A.G. when we have all of these other very important news stories because as we all know the only reason it would even be a story is to remind people how evil the president really is and if of course people have no clue how horrible this president has been and this is coming from a former president that gave us double digit inflation and unemployment, long gas lines with rare cases of gas rationing and a hostage crisis in Iran. Former President Carter is highly qualified to know when he sees the worst president in history.

3 major 24 hour news networks and theres no time for such a story?

On days when Im pressed for time I can still read about as much news as I can, at the local and national level, in about a half hour. And I guarantee they can do the story in the same time it takes me to read it.

I love pointing it out, but it never fails as an example. In Jon Stewart's parody of a text book "America: The Book. A Citizen's Guide To Inaction" they have a chart in it which shows that the 24 hour news networks show only 8 minutes of actual news in a given day. Among other things time is doled out to commercials (naturally), tabloid stories, and cheesy cross over interviews to promote programming on sister networks (like FNC having Keifer Sutherland on, or MSNBC talking to someone from Heroes). Its a humerous and facetious chart, but it rings with alot of truth to it.