Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 08 Jan 2017, 04:21 PM
Head Coach

So you really think newbies will stay longer because I'm 7 Billion ahead instead of 700 billion ahead?

Really doesn't matter what you do because after a few weeks the new TV leaders will again be set in stone if they play daily. Proof of that is all the comps.
Unread 04 Feb 2017, 10:07 AM
Prospect

I'm one of the people that only comes back a couple times a year to buy up stocks when I remember about the game. There are a number of things that hold this place back that come to mind and the most obvious things to me:

a) Complete graphical overhaul on the website itself. The site is very very dated and at first glance looks like a place that was abandoned in the 90's or early 00's from just the visuals alone.

b) Mobile App. Probably needed, and honestly something like this is perfect for a mobile app. I'm at the baseball game, Dee Gordon hits his third homer of the game: Open app, search market for Gordon, buy stock, put phone back in pocket and continue enjoying the game. But, just searching through the app store I can only find one sports stock market app and it has only had a couple hundred downloads total over a three year time period.

c) Lets be honest, sports stocks games aren't popular. I remember there being some competition to Jockstocks back in the day and I'm not sure any of them even exist anymore. Part of it is fantasy has completely taken over the micro-managing sports game world and another part is web-based games of this nature are well past their prime.

If I remember correctly from probably over a decade ago when I was super into the game it was basically a two man show running the place and you guys were fairly limited on time, money, and probably knowledge (and I mean that in the nicest way possible). To do a complete overhaul on the website and business strategy that would be required to make it successful you'd need a hefty amount of all three. And I'm not sure the demographic that wants to play this game is big enough for you to even invest any significant amount of time or money to make changes.

Pretty sure this has always been a side project, so I can only assume Sitewolf and Nick don't even make money from the site and it's only still up right now because of their love for the game and community that was/is here. There are obviously some people that still play the game and you can keep the place going for as long as they want, but sometimes things die and simply can't be revived. I wish you good luck with the place though.

Unread 04 Feb 2017, 11:13 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Just happened to refresh this page soon after you posted....after my usual 'ritual' of looking over divis, putting in Pick'em results and picks, setting my spreads for the day, and looking to see if there are fires to put out.........something that has simply been a lifestyle for me for years.

You're dead on with a good deal of what you're saying, agree to disagree and/or you need more info on others.

The site has needed a complete overhaul for a decade, no argument there whatsoever. We're still at 800 pixels wide, which is so 2005. We know that. We've known that. A mobile app has been on my wish list for a long time as well. And yes, we're still a 2-man show with me doing all the day to day things and Nick keeping the site itself running.

Now, some things you wouldn't know...some which regular members may not even know. We have in the past actively searched for investors. Not a lot of people realize, I actually had one willing to commit to 7 figures before I had even met my original partners. Unfortunately I'll never know if that WOULD have come thru because while I was negotiating with CBS Sportsline (at the time) to purchase Wall Street Sports, my investor was diagnosed with cancer and died only a few months later. I'd never met him, only talked on the phone with him.

We also worked up a business plan and presentation for an investment group here in South Dakota around 2011. Nothing like standing in front of a group of investors, many of them millionaires themselves, and trying to talk a 6 figure check out of them for a game. However, they were quite interested initially....but ended up passing. In retrospect, had we not been aggressively going after enough funding for Nick and I to go full time, they may have decided otherwise. Again, we'll never know.

The next year, I met a guy at an entreprenuer's conference who was extremely interested. He would have been an active partner, with his role being to actively seek out partnerships and more investors. But, just when we thought the next step would be negotiating his investment and ownership stake, he changed his mind. I'll never forget the conversation because one reason he gave was that he didn't realize how competitive the market is. I said "well yeah, it's a multi Billion dollar industry...but we don't need ALL of it...just a small percentage would make the 3 of us a lot of money."

Life, family, frustration have slowed our motivation to continue our pursuit. But we do still have the belief in what Jockstocks COULD be...tho you're correct in that some of what we do would need to evolve, but IMO INcorrect in what a stock simulation COULD be.

Yes, most definitely this has always been a side project. It just wasn't intended to be in the beginning nor in various parts along the way. Months, years sometimes go by and we continue just because we don't find the time to push for big new things and are too stubborn to just pull the plug.

But it gets to be a chicken/egg kinda thing in ways. How much time/effort can one justify putting in when there's no money coming back....but how much money will come in before putting in the time/effort? Unlike a brick and mortar business, we can't just rent space, stock product, open our doors and try to sell our products. If we could, we could have gotten a bank loan years ago.

I put in time on the site daily. Stats, picks, IPOs, etc etc. Honestly, if not for the help of 2 members no longer here (Polar and Relic/Being) and my own increased knowledge of Excel, just doing stats would have been more than I could fathom dealing with a long long time ago. But, with spreads in place for every sport, if I'm not thrown a curve ball, I can pretty much do stats for all sports, even on days 5-6 of them are active, in 15-20 minutes...and could possibly even shorten that, automate more, if I chose to take the time.

Sports stock games aren't popular for one big reason- they have never EVER been out there long enough, big enough to make a lasting impact. The ONLY one I can think of that actually had backing was ProTrade. That was started by 2 guys, one an MIT grad who was actually the basis of the main character of the movie 21, about the MIT blackjack team. There were 2 reasons that didn't last- First, Kevin Ma (not Na the golfer) used his mathematics background and took things way too far for players to actually understand what was going on and second, the site was actually still doing alright when they simply decided to go other directions. Kevin has since been involved in several other startups.

There are things I would want to incorporate that would likely drastically change/improve your view of our future. I won't go into them right now as...go figure...life requires I go elsewhere. But, I'll say this much- whether you follow what I'm saying or not, the success of FanDuel and DraftKings (at least until the last couple years) is a big reason I still believe in what we can be here. There are things they do/did IMO wrong that I wouldn't have done (in fact I had the idea of daily fantasy much like them before they ever came to be, but I had it before it would have been legal to do what they did). What they have done actually proves to me that what I'd like to do here would be successful. Do I KNOW that? No. Do I know Nick and I with a silent investor could pull it off? No.

The likely best road to pulling it off would be that we get a smaller investment initially that allows us to make some initial upgrades, then go after a larger investment when the site is in a 'more presentable status'.

Until then, the problem is and has been....we're treading water. We can't move forward without putting in time we can't justify without money involved...so how do we go about getting money involved.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 05 Feb 2017, 10:43 PM
#3 of 80+ trillionaires!

Is Shark Tank still on TV? Maybe one of them would be interested and make you a star!! On another note, I don't think you need all of the bells and whistles for a game like this as there is nothing moving like a phone game.