Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 02 Dec 2016, 09:28 PM
All Pro

Default How many years?

Do you think this site has left? We're about 10 years in and it seems like we are down to maybe 15 or 20 active players. We used to have many more. Making the Top 10 in the monthly used to be an accomplishment. Now, we're lucky to get even 10 players to make a single monthly buy.

How much longer will JockStocks survive?

Can we find ways to attract new members...and keep them?

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 03 Dec 2016, 04:53 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

i think we've heard this before....with minimal results and plenty discussion at times.
with whats in place....new players are discouraged to see themselves so far down the tv board with little to no chance of seeing the first several pages.
so, a 're-start' was suggested and ripped to pieces by those top few pages
anything else is pretty much being done already with the programming that is in place....a lot of which is manual :/

mutual fund stocks were talked about .....and liked by the masses....but programming falls just short, i understand
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 03 Dec 2016, 05:01 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Jockstocks will survive as long as Nick and especially I am willing to continue. I could go on a diatribe about donations and all that, but while it would help us feel better about what we put in and even possibly help us do it longer, it's still not the long term answer- relying on donations is not a business plan. I've even hesitated to focus on new members at this point, since we need some new features, upgrades, and face lifts before new members brought in actually stick at a higher percentage. We used to have a lot of new members coming in when we were getting a lot of votes at mpogd, for example...few stuck for long...and it's not the game, given the number of you that have not just stuck, but stuck for years.

The stock game hit 14 years old in September. Few game sites last that long, and some members have been here and active the entire time. Active, btw, isn't measured simply by the number of buys on a given day. We have more people playing Pick'em daily than playing monthly competitions. We have even more people who log in multiple times a week or at least multiple times a month to check the forums, buy new IPOs, etc.

Want this site to be more enticing to new members? Post on the forums. Discuss games, discuss issues...even if they're not always sports related. Picture yourself as someone who was just pointed to Jockstocks, never having heard of us before. You register and log in....but you don't see a lot of activity. How likely are you to stick?

Lack of forum activity is something I am the MOST DISAPPOINTED about. In early years, we had solid activity, but a few individuals that deterred others from posting more. I used to make a concerted effort to help start/continue discussions/activity on the forums. Over the last few years, however, the overall activity on the forums fell to very low levels....and, to be honest, THAT is when even some of our long term members faded...sometimes even completely away.

There are ways beyond donations (not that we'd decline them...I mean the hours I spend doesn't go down much if there are 20, 200, or 2000 people here...and we do have server costs monthly).

Ideas and discussions of ideas Nick and I have discussed can help us discover ways to keep people already here, eventually entice those barely here to be more active again...and reverse the snowball back the other direction. And...more discussions could lead to even more discussions and activity on the forums in general...also helping to reverse the snowball back the other direction.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 03 Dec 2016, 05:03 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

just a thought ...and no way programming there....but customized group funds would be awesome

buy any ten players for 30 days at market value plus commissions....charge 250 million (eg)deposit per 10 player fund (portfolio). in 30 days fund is done and rewards are reaped less commissions again and deposit returned.
the limit of mutual funds you can own are up to your current bank account

just a thought....

...will easily interest the players that have excess cash. It won't diminish the value but it will be being used instead of sitting at the bottom of port
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)

Unread 03 Dec 2016, 05:28 PM
JSAdmin

I like it! Now, if my original plan had worked, people may have excess cash, but not THIS much excess......and then funds like this would actually force more active decisions.

So...you mentioned a restart. For some, they just don't want to start over completely....so what ideas could we come up with where it's KIND of a restart, but not completely. The current TV ports could even go on with this quasi-restart port being a new one (albeit with part of the old one included). Brainstorming, say holdings would be sold to 10,000 shares and cash reduced to X dollars...and off we go again, this time with a defined end date.

While I'm throwing things out there, something I've thrown at Nick, but not sure about here is......do less people play monthly because they know they can't win for one reason or another? We've already talked about leagues, where you compete against people you invite....but also, what if you only competed against...yourself. What I mean is....what if everyone had their own personal history of how they did in various competitions...and could, at the very least, work to accomplish personal bests by knowing what their previous best in that competition was.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 04 Dec 2016, 06:22 PM
All Pro

One way to quasi-restart would be to divide all Ports by 100. All shares owned by 100, all cash balances divided by 100. No change to stock prices or max shares allowed.

The standings would remain exactly identical, only divided by a factor of 100. So the top 100 would remain unchanged, but instead of ranging from $500B to $700B with oodles of unspendable cash they would range between $5B and $7B with real decisions to make. New players or players with existing ports in the $100B range or less could definitely compete and even overtake many of the Top 100 within a year if they play smart.

No change to max shares allowed, moo, or any other factors. So you have 100,000 shares of a player, it gets divided to 1000 shares initially. But hey, you can make the decision to rebuy up to the 100,000 shares again if you have enough cash available. Hint: you will have enough cash for some, but not all max share buys for some time. This will increase day trading and strategizing who to long-term.

I just know that when my Yearly gets to between $5B and $10B then that's where the really fun decisions get to be made. This would allow for some strategy and separation for the Top 100 and beyond and within a year the Leaderboard will look radically different, though the best players and the active players will remain on top or rise to the top.

Thoughts?

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 04 Dec 2016, 11:57 PM
Hall of Famer

That's a unique idea, maybe a separate leaderboard for that, not sure programming implications. Maybe TV board only show people active, like buys in the last 90 days. There sure are a lot of dead ports in top 100 as seen by your delta report.

Racing comp, first to the lead wins unless you fall asleep at the switch. Buy and hold no negative impact because most are splitters.

Golf, first part is to long, second too short, maybe change it to match season schedule.

I know none of this attracts new people, the millennials will not find this game appealing but I can't stop playing, it must be in my blood, or beer, or something. Still have that WSS shirt somewhere......
Unread 05 Dec 2016, 09:08 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrock33 View Post
I know none of this attracts new people, the millennials will not find this game appealing....
Maybe if we added GPS-linked JockStocks "hot spots" around the globe then maybe that would get their attention. Oooh, 10,000 shares of LeBron James waiting over by the Eiffel Tower.

Unread 05 Dec 2016, 12:26 PM

My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 06 Dec 2016, 12:58 AM
Back on page #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProneEisenrott View Post
One way to quasi-restart would be to divide all Ports by 100. All shares owned by 100, all cash balances divided by 100. No change to stock prices or max shares allowed.

The standings would remain exactly identical, only divided by a factor of 100. So the top 100 would remain unchanged, but instead of ranging from $500B to $700B with oodles of unspendable cash they would range between $5B and $7B with real decisions to make. New players or players with existing ports in the $100B range or less could definitely compete and even overtake many of the Top 100 within a year if they play smart.

Thoughts?
This idea seems like it could spark some renewed interest from some dormant accounts and could generate excitement for new players. Is this something could be done on Jan 1, seems that a fresh start on all ports could be a good idea.
Unread 06 Dec 2016, 08:23 PM
All Pro

I like the January 1 idea, which aligns the change with the start of the new Yearly comp, creating much more moo when typically there is very little in January.

If this is something we decide to do, we need to decide soon and give several weeks' notice to all members via email that this big change is happening. It's only fair to give a heads up and maybe some (many?) will return to the game just to make adjustments, and then get hooked all over again.

Thoughts?

Unread 06 Dec 2016, 08:41 PM
Back on page #1

O, is this possible to be done by Jan 1?

Rich, you are leading this game now, what's your thought? Would be nice if mixmasterc,(Chris) the great northern, polar, notredame79(cam), slippery slope, herbhub, and ldzepplin got involved once again. Give you a run for your title!!! ��
Unread 06 Dec 2016, 10:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmak View Post
O, is this possible to be done by Jan 1?

Rich, you are leading this game now, what's your thought? Would be nice if mixmasterc,(Chris) the great northern, polar, notredame79(cam), slippery slope, herbhub, and ldzepplin got involved once again. Give you a run for your title!!! ��
Not to mention: itsanewday, ochocinco/lordofdeath, RedSoxFanFiver, TroyB911, elkman and others (these are the main ones who I remember being pretty active over extended periods.)

Unread 06 Dec 2016, 10:43 PM

Well....if you really want my opinion....but I'll warn you first....I have some things to say that some may not want to hear.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 06 Dec 2016, 10:56 PM
JSAdmin

While the January idea has its logic, I think there's more discussion to be had than can possibly be had in 3 weeks...especially since I will be (the audacity!) flying to Hawaii in a couple weeks and the holiday season is busy in general.

Not saying I'm against any idea that's been put out there, there are simply more people to get opinions from and more logistics to think thru....but I'm all for continuing to discuss things. Remember, tho, we have people who are at least semi-active that rarely even come to the forums (an admin message can at least call their attention to this thread).

I don't think any of us, myself included, really thought about just how long these TV ports would go on.....I mean, if the game is continuing, just how far do these ports go? But, is it fair/correct/logical to completely change those ports?

After all, there will be a percentage of people who would be fine just continuing with that port they spent years building.

On the other hand, there are people who've not played in a long time that are still on the front page of the leaderboard...despite not buying all the new IPOs that have been released since they left. Some may log in on occasion and buy up IPOs, but we know hilopapio's port has been untouched since he passed away....and he's still #23.

There are many many ways to view all this...and many many ways to go from here.
-We could just leave TV go as is and turn the January 2017 monthly....and eventually the 2017 yearly...into TV2 as an example.
-We could leave TV go as is and copy it in some form to TV2
-We can make a big change to the current TV and archive the current leaderboard for posterity.
-We could even simply reset the market so that all stocks are $20/share again (and no, I'm aware that has its own issues of fairness..just talking options)

....and so on.........just remember, big changes wouldn't be easy to revert if we don't like them

From a programming standpoint, a change that doesn't require splitting holdings would be easier...but that's not to say not doable. However, I do think it has its own risks.

Anyway, gotta go to bed....can't believe I had to make a 360 mile round trip today just to see an opthamologist because there isn't one in our state's capitol.....