Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 07 Dec 2016, 09:06 AM
Back on page #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
Well....if you really want my opinion....but I'll warn you first....I have some things to say that some may not want to hear.
I wouldn't expect anything less from you.
Unread 07 Dec 2016, 09:46 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
Well....if you really want my opinion....but I'll warn you first....I have some things to say that some may not want to hear.
And not to let Rich's great achievement go to waste, so to speak, we could archive the current Leaderboard as "Inaugural Jockstocks" or something and preserve it on the site for future reference.

Rich is the undeniable champion, and I wouldn't want to take anything away from that.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 07 Dec 2016, 09:56 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
....and so on.........just remember, big changes wouldn't be easy to revert if we don't like them

From a programming standpoint, a change that doesn't require splitting holdings would be easier...but that's not to say not doable. However, I do think it has its own risks.
I think this would work.

Freeze the game for 24 hours for the reset. Archive the current Leaderboard for posterity.

Sell off 99% of everyone's shares @ $0.00 with 0% commission. Round up any remaining fractional shares to the nearest whole number.

Divide everyone's cash balance by 100.

Reopen the game for trading the next day, with radically reduced moo rates (or even zero moo) for a few days in order to account for the fact that there will be a ton of new shares purchased.

Then operate things as normal.

Easier typed than done, I know. But these are the basic mechanics that I would utilize if I were programming this.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 07 Dec 2016, 01:41 PM

Ok guys......here's my input:

I want to preface by saying in NO way would I ever go against what the majority wanted to do. I have gotten to the head of the pack with a ton of work and attrition. I want you all to know that if it wasn't for bballer pushing me (and he is as good a player as we have here) along with polar and being (possibly the 2 best ever here) retiring, no way would I be leading in tv. Not even debatable. All of that being said.......bballer, rock, and the rest of the top 10 (nod to prone.....he easily could have been at the top were it not for selling his original port to a knucklehead that let it go), unless I read this wrong......have played this game straight for years. No knowledge of formulas, no scripts written to import stats then buy/sell automatically etc.

I also have issues with some of the other "old timers" mentioned above....2 for sure......were cheaters.......that were loaded with illegal shares (over the max) gotten years ago when there were site issues. They continued to play and interact on the boards with us all.......knowing they were cheating us.

IMHO those that are still active are making significant gains on those that are not (take a look at the delta rankings that prone posts now and then). The result of some things Orren has done (I.E. increasing max shares and being able to day trade splitters).

I am greatful to Orren and Nick for this game.....it has helped me through some extremely tough times (for those unaware.....prostate cancer and horrible collectomy surgery in the same year....requiring over a two year+ recovery). I am still here because I owe this game and the great folks playing it. I am always here to help/advise anyone......new OR old players....and will always be here for that.

Change can be good......so be it.....as long as the majority agrees and it's within Orren's capacity to implement any changes easily. Which brings up another issue. I am asking all/any of you now to consider a reasonable contribution to this game.......it is not self sufficient contrary to what some may think. Orren.....please post info where donations can be sent.

I'll start with a commitment of $50.00 and will send it out as soon as I know where to send it. $50 because I can.......not to influence anyone. Give what you can.....it all adds up.

Thinking of bringing back some bidding items as well.....as I did years ago but this time....some rules will be different. If any of you are up for that....please let's me know in this thread.

It's the season of giving guys.......do what you can.

/jumps off soapbox..........
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 07 Dec 2016, 06:42 PM
Head Coach

Whatever Orren wants to do is fine with me.

Will the suggestion tighten things up? Yes

Will it attract new players? No

Will it keep any existing that would otherwise leave? Probably a few.

And btw, thanks for the kind words Rich.
Unread 07 Dec 2016, 09:57 PM
All Pro

Maybe we could make the proposed changes to every port except for Rich76, who will get to remain at $686M). That way he stays atop the leaderboard to reward his hard work over the years, but then the rest of the players can compete under the new rules, which will radically stimulate day trading, active ports advancing in the standings (just not past Rich) and may rejuvenate interest among dormant members.

Just a thought to accommodate everyone.

Unread 07 Dec 2016, 10:08 PM

I respectfully disagree Prone...as I said above....whatever the majority and/or Orren decides is good for me as well........
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 07 Dec 2016, 10:23 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProneEisenrott View Post
Maybe we could make the proposed changes to every port except for Rich76, who will get to remain at $686M). That way he stays atop the leaderboard to reward his hard work over the years, but then the rest of the players can compete under the new rules, which will radically stimulate day trading, active ports advancing in the standings (just not past Rich) and may rejuvenate interest among dormant members.

Just a thought to accommodate everyone.
So what about this would "radically stimulate day trading".
And why would taking away a few zeroes from us who continued to play "rejuvenate interest among DORMANT members'.
Unread 07 Dec 2016, 11:30 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

There is no way to accomodate everyone. It's like picking one food for everyone to eat while giving everyone input on what that should be.

The goal of this discussion is to stimulate activity, yes? And do so with limited resources while any bigger changes await me to find the time once again to go on an investor search.

Or I get real crazy and see how many of you have interest in becoming shareholders. Let's see, if 25 of you bought $1,000 worth.......I'm kidding...mostly...I'm tired and going to bed.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 07 Dec 2016, 11:56 PM
Hall of Famer

None of it will.

Those of us who have continued to play are where we are because of it. You can restart with a new leaderboard if you want to, but because those players decided to stop playing or be active should not take away what we have achieved.

I remember when The Great Northern, Polar, Being aka Relic, led and won many many competitions, I thought there is no I can compete with these players but I still kept playing. They left for their own reasons and I kept playing rising slowly up the board and faster after split trading.

Spilt trading was a huge discussion here with may different opinions, I was actually opposed at the beginning but since the auto ( well all most) selloff I embraced it and have used it to my advantage.

I will continue to play what ever decisions are made, and yes rich donations, donations....
Unread 08 Dec 2016, 02:08 AM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Location: Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle)

I compete, mostly in the TV port and in Pick'em. I love both opportunities to compete with others. My problem with Monthly, Quarterly, Yearly portfolios is the need to buy in each portfolio separately. I can see Jockstock's need to require that because if results in more advertising opportunities through page views, but it is a hassle I am just not willing to endure. If I could buy and sell many portfolios through a single page visit, I might be more willing to participate in those competitions. As it is, I often spend 30 minutes, or more, per evening on Jockstocks pages.
O visit the forums about once per week. While I enjoy reading the posts, I don't often post. I tend to save my post for things that impact me directly, such as when a favorite player passes or a topic that has deep meaning to me. Facebook is the place for lighter issues for me.
What I would love to see is a mobile app for Jockstocks. Something that would notify members of significant player activity and allow immediate buy/sell activity. I don't know what developing an app would cost or how it would be able to tie into live Jockstocks activity. That is way beyond my knowledge base. But if it was possible, we may be able to tie into the millennial generation of sports lovers. That might require a huge cash infusion and a potential paid for app. That is something I would consider as necessary to be able to keep playing the best online sports game I am aware of.
Jockstocks is a Massive Online Multi-player Game but is not like most that you will see. In many multi-player games, the early adopters gain an instant advantage in size and can easily dominate and eliminate weaker players. That does not happen with Jockstocks. A new player enters with $1,000,000 and manages it alone. No other player can strike to claim a portion, or all of it. The weakest player is left to build his/her portfolio with no intervention. I like that in Jockstocks and that is one of the main reasons I continue to play. I don't feel like I have to go to war with anyone on the leaderboard or to form coalitions to defend myself. I compete on my own, against a large audience that competes on it's own.
My favorite competition may be the monthly Pick'em. My selections are entered in the total contest at the same time as the monthly. I closely watch the monthly as I casually examine the total rankings. When I miss a day, I kick myself because I know I can't be competitive in the monthly competition. But that does not keep me from fighting with those around me on the Total Pick'em Board. That keeps me coming back almost every day.
Jockstocks beats ESPN's Streak for the Cash, in my opinion. Yes, there isn't a $30,000 prize every month. But, there is a community of players, a voice for sports ideas and a history of competition that should endure. I will never reach the top spot in Pick'em. I missed too many selections while serving in the Navy and unable to submit picks. I am okay with that. The same goes for my total portfolio. I'll always be in the 60's and maybe into the 50's. That's fine. Cash reserves don't really matter; I can never spend it all and don't need to. I just need to make wise daily buys and sells, hold selective long term holdings and dump players when they begin to fall off projected stats. That is what Jockstocks is all about.
I can quietly compete with those around me. I don't know how active they are, and don't really care. My performance against them depends on my being active, making picks, buying daily performers and doing my best to increase my position against those around me. I am happy with that kind of competition.
Unread 08 Dec 2016, 06:01 AM
Back on page #1

On the homepage, there is a donate link through PayPal. Is that still valid?
Unread 08 Dec 2016, 07:27 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmak View Post
On the homepage, there is a donate link through PayPal. Is that still valid?
I believe it is, but I should check with Nick to be sure. It's tied to a jfspn.com email and we let that domain go. It's probably time I pointed him to this thread anyway.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 08 Dec 2016, 06:36 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
...Jockstocks is a Massive Online Multi-player Game but is not like most that you will see. In many multi-player games, the early adopters gain an instant advantage in size and can easily dominate and eliminate weaker players. That does not happen with Jockstocks. A new player enters with $1,000,000 and manages it alone. No other player can strike to claim a portion, or all of it. The weakest player is left to build his/her portfolio with no intervention. I like that in Jockstocks and that is one of the main reasons I continue to play. I don't feel like I have to go to war with anyone on the leaderboard or to form coalitions to defend myself. I compete on my own, against a large audience that competes on it's own.
My favorite competition may be the monthly Pick'em. My selections are entered in the total contest at the same time as the monthly. I closely watch the monthly as I casually examine the total rankings. When I miss a day, I kick myself because I know I can't be competitive in the monthly competition. But that does not keep me from fighting with those around me on the Total Pick'em Board. That keeps me coming back almost every day.
Jockstocks beats ESPN's Streak for the Cash, in my opinion. Yes, there isn't a $30,000 prize every month. But, there is a community of players, a voice for sports ideas and a history of competition that should endure. I will never reach the top spot in Pick'em. I missed too many selections while serving in the Navy and unable to submit picks. I am okay with that. The same goes for my total portfolio. I'll always be in the 60's and maybe into the 50's. That's fine. Cash reserves don't really matter; I can never spend it all and don't need to. I just need to make wise daily buys and sells, hold selective long term holdings and dump players when they begin to fall off projected stats. That is what Jockstocks is all about.
I can quietly compete with those around me. I don't know how active they are, and don't really care. My performance against them depends on my being active, making picks, buying daily performers and doing my best to increase my position against those around me. I am happy with that kind of competition.
really well said....i concur
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 08 Dec 2016, 06:46 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
What I would love to see is a mobile app for Jockstocks. Something that would notify members of significant player activity and allow immediate buy/sell activity. I don't know what developing an app would cost or how it would be able to tie into live Jockstocks activity.That is way beyond my knowledge base. But if it was possible, we may be able to tie into the millennial generation of sports lovers. That might require a huge cash infusion and a potential paid for app.

and this is clearly the best idea so far to bring in new players.
I know nothing of programming but have seen enough movies to think apps are relatively easy to build....its the idea behind them (what they do) that app developers are thirsty for.
yes, proll'y a nifty price tag....no idea really
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)