Runt.....as usual.... well said.

btw........I, too, served in the

My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 09 Dec 2016, 12:10 AM
Prospect

No idea why I decided to stop by tonight. Glad to see things are still running but oh, boy, these discussions look familiar
Unread 09 Dec 2016, 07:49 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

you stopped by because you wanna come back and play! ;p

It's funny, tho...'cause we haven't had a discussion like this in a long time

Get ya !

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 10 Dec 2016, 11:57 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Location: Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle)
Default Thanks for your service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
Runt.....as usual.... well said.

btw........I, too, served in the

Rich,
Since I've retired (a few years ago) I can say "Thanks for your service, shipmate." What did you do in the Navy. I flew around in EA-6B Prowlers as an NFO. Then flew desk in far too many places, including the Pentagon. Best job I ever had was as Gun Boss on John C. Stennis. 300 of the most dedicated young men and women I ever knew.
Unread 11 Dec 2016, 08:22 AM

I was a YN2. Boot to A school to Sub school in New London......unvolunteered so they sent me to Naval Air Station in Newfoundland. Then volunteered for Nam and worked COMNAVFORV on Admiral Zumwalt's staff...then OUT!

Thank you for your service as well.
Unread 11 Dec 2016, 02:07 PM
JSAdmin

In answer to the PayPal question- yes, the link is still viable. Also, you do NOT need a PayPal account to use it. If you click the Donate button you'll see the option to securely use your debit or credit card.

As I said in the admin message, I know this is a free game, but we do have expenses and we do spend time running and maintaining it. But I'm still humbled and appreciative when people donate. I have always hoped to take this game much further, but still keep at least the basics of the game free so as not to shut out ANYone from playing.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.

Unread 28 Dec 2016, 07:17 AM

My $50.00 has been sent and received..............I encourage each of you to send what you can.
Unread 30 Dec 2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
There is no way to accomodate everyone. It's like picking one food for everyone to eat while giving everyone input on what that should be.

The goal of this discussion is to stimulate activity, yes? And do so with limited resources while any bigger changes await me to find the time once again to go on an investor search.

Or I get real crazy and see how many of you have interest in becoming shareholders. Let's see, if 25 of you bought $1,000 worth.......I'm kidding...mostly...I'm tired and going to bed.
Not sure how I missed this. I actually think this is a fantastic idea. If you could get more interested maybe the price could be lower. I, for one, would be interested in this idea. I am willing to virtually guarantee that if there were more "owners" we would be much more aggressive introducing the game to many more prospective members on all social media etc.
Unread 30 Dec 2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
Rich,
Since I've retired (a few years ago) I can say "Thanks for your service, shipmate." What did you do in the Navy. I flew around in EA-6B Prowlers as an NFO. Then flew desk in far too many places, including the Pentagon. Best job I ever had was as Gun Boss on John C. Stennis. 300 of the most dedicated young men and women I ever knew.
So, I'm assuming from your post, that life on a carrier is great?
Unread 30 Dec 2016, 06:05 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
My $50.00 has been sent and received..............I encourage each of you to send what you can.
and appreciated....but question, did you use the paypal link? If so, did you log into a paypal account when doing it? another member said the link wasn't allowing him to change the amount from the 'default' $2

Unread 30 Dec 2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
and appreciated....but question, did you use the paypal link? If so, did you log into a paypal account when doing it? another member said the link wasn't allowing him to change the amount from the 'default' $2
you should have received my check by now...........?
Unread 30 Dec 2016, 08:36 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
you should have received my check by now...........?
ah, mail...haven't picked it up since I got home

Update: Yes, it's there. Thank you!

Unread 08 Jan 2017, 12:05 AM
JSAdmin

It comes as no shock if I say my mind works in odd ways at times....like those times I'm awake. So it just occurred to me that IF the decision were to 'reset' TV by reducing holdings and cash by X%, I could actually do that in a matter of minutes with 0 programming...only caveat being how our data table deals with fractions (i.e. if that percentage results in some partial shares of stock does it round up to the nearest whole). Other than that, I could change holdings and cash and change maxshares all back to 10,000 in with 3 SQL commands.

So, if we wanted to reopen this discussion, I'll get Nick in the conversation as well in case there's something I'm not thinking about. Plus, would we also do something with stock prices (not as fair a way to do that given some hold more than others).....the other caveat being, would we apply this to ALL portfolios (easier if we do, but then new people suddenly have tiny ports)

Unread 08 Jan 2017, 02:14 PM
All Pro

Nothing would have to change with prices. You can even keep max shares the same if you want. It will provide bigger buying opportunities (more options to spend additional cash later on in the game than if the max were reset to 10k for all.)

Advantage: this keeps the game the exact same, only reduces the number of shares people have and the amount of free cash they have available to rebuy so strategy becomes very important. The leaderboard is proportionally the same (a 10% lead today remains a 10% lead afterward)

That being said, there seemed to be quite a bit of polarized opinion for this change based on the previous discussion in the thread. So, consider that as you proceed.

I for one think it would rejuvenate interest/activity in the game among players who have long since reverted to buy/hold and whose only activity consists of buying new IPOs when they are released. How many of these players are currently on the site? Probably more than many would expect. I mean, we are looking at over 1,000 billionaires here today, so even if only 5% returned to action after the change then that would be 50 new active players, 500k shares bought daily on many stocks, even more for stocks that have split. It kind of brings us back to the glory days when we would routinely experience over 1 million shares of a player traded on a given day. Moo would have to be adjusted accordingly.

To reemphasize, especially for all of the detractors, the intended purpose of this change is to increase activity and day-trading, NOT to screw over those of us who have amassed large portfolios over time.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 08 Jan 2017, 03:02 PM
JSAdmin

This is but an option.....and another one would be to leave the current TV ports as is AND create 2nd TV ports that are reduced to 10% of their current

Still, doing the math, if a port currently has $200bil in stocks and $300bil cash, it would have $20bil in stocks and $30bil in cash....maybe I should do the math on the current cost of owning max shares of the current active market because if we did make a change, it should be one that doesn't just put us back in a similar place in a year

Regardless, this would only be A change, not one that by itself is expected to reinvigorate the market. Getting more people to play in other competitions would do more, but my finding investors to finally be able to get significant redesign, recoding, new features, etc and work towards bringing in new members in droves. We don't continue or succeed without this happening- whether that's a silent investor, a working investor, a bunch of silent partners that are also members, or a combination. There are avenues out there, too, where if I can find $25,000 in seed money I can far more easily find someone to invest more.

In the shorter run, if one reason fewer people tend to play in comps is that they don't think they can win, then we look at ways around that- i.e. I've mentioned tiers where if you finish high enough this month, you move up to the next tier next month...win at the top tier and you win something and start back at the original tier and so on. Another I've talked to Nick about is for everyone to have access to the results of their competitions...so if they choose, they can just compete against themselves from one month to the next.