Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 09 Apr 2007, 05:43 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default End of the season awards

ok....once and for all let's see about coming to some agreements on when certain achidivis are given out, shall we?

With the NHL regular season now over, this issue comes up again....

We have similar with other sports, so let's try to hammer this out so we lessen the controversy on the timing of some o' these....
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 05:59 PM

sorry O but.....speaking of awards...did Razzle and I win anything for the March Madness contest?
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 06:05 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
sorry O but.....speaking of awards...did Razzle and I win anything for the March Madness contest?
I'll be damned if I can remember what we'd been doing....IPO choices at minimum, but can't remember what else we've done in the past.....
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 06:22 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
ok....once and for all let's see about coming to some agreements on when certain achidivis are given out, shall we?

With the NHL regular season now over, this issue comes up again....

We have similar with other sports, so let's try to hammer this out so we lessen the controversy on the timing of some o' these....
My personal opinion is this:

Awards that have to be voted on and aren't known until the awards show (after the Stanley Cup) obviously have to wait until then. However, things like pts leader, goals leader, whatever else we know HAS happened by the end of the season should be given out after that has been accomplished. Just like if someone breaks a record...the achidivi would be given out the next night since its a stats thing and not an award.
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
My personal opinion is this:

Awards that have to be voted on and aren't known until the awards show (after the Stanley Cup) obviously have to wait until then. However, things like pts leader, goals leader, whatever else we know HAS happened by the end of the season should be given out after that has been accomplished. Just like if someone breaks a record...the achidivi would be given out the next night since its a stats thing and not an award.

agree
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 06:41 PM
alive

Interestingly enough, if you go here, you'll see that they use the phrase "most recent recipient" and they've already listed the 2007 winners for the Art Ross and the Maurice Richard..

That being said, I'm off to buy the winners and will trust that you won't let me down..

Unread 09 Apr 2007, 08:09 PM
Standout

i say when ever you feel like handing 1 out.
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 08:16 PM
JSAdmin

I've always felt the spirit of the achidivi was that it was given when the achievement was official.....not necessarily when it was recognized at some banquet...unless, of course, that is the first time it IS official....
Unread 09 Apr 2007, 08:45 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
I've always felt the spirit of the achidivi was that it was given when the achievement was official.....not necessarily when it was recognized at some banquet...unless, of course, that is the first time it IS official....
that may be when they get recognized for it and get a trophy for it, but after the season ends, its official who had the most pts, most goals, etc. (IMO of course)
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 12:47 AM
Prospect

I know I am already too late on this and I remember getting burned on this last year too. These achidivis should not be handed out till the awards ceremony. The awards are called the Rocket Richard TROPHY and Art Ross TROPHY. These are not official until they recieve their trophy. They set no season record or league record, just led in goals and points respectively.

If you wanna get particular the voting for the rest of the awards is already done too, as it is completed before the regular season is over, but these awards got no divis today. Why not?? Because they are not official until they recieve their trophies.

I realize this means nothing now, but jmho.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 03:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Duh Steve Nash MVP x 3
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 04:16 AM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehughes908 View Post
I know I am already too late on this and I remember getting burned on this last year too. These achidivis should not be handed out till the awards ceremony. The awards are called the Rocket Richard TROPHY and Art Ross TROPHY. These are not official until they recieve their trophy. They set no season record or league record, just led in goals and points respectively.

If you wanna get particular the voting for the rest of the awards is already done too, as it is completed before the regular season is over, but these awards got no divis today. Why not?? Because they are not official until they recieve their trophies.

I realize this means nothing now, but jmho.
While I respect what you say and it does make sense....

But if everything has been voted on.. and counted and they have the winner... then who are they?

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 08:18 AM
GM

I think it would be wise if to give out any extra divis to wait until the night after the regular season is over. I say this for several main reasons.

Players that are still competing for these various awards could play on the last day or night of the season right?

I don't know if any of the relevant players were even playing Sunday night but that could happen also.

One of the races was really close and in future years could come down to the last day of the regular season.

So to me there are just to many situations that can happen that these various awards could come down to the last regular season games.

And with our luck one of these races could still be going on when we are trying to give out the achidivis the night of the last day of the regular season in the future.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 08:29 AM
Resident Limey

<controversy font>

Ummm, why have them anyway? We've all benefitted from these players seasons already, so why complicate matters further, especially since they are often the difference between winning a monthly or not, and always seem to cause so much hassle.

Just do away with the damn things once and for all, and then the entire conversation becomes moot.

</controversy font>
Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Unread 10 Apr 2007, 09:04 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehughes908 View Post
And they didbt get a divi because the results of the voting is not known. The results of the season and thusly the pts leader/goals leader IS known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_mc View Post
<controversy font>

Ummm, why have them anyway? We've all benefitted from these players seasons already, so why complicate matters further, especially since they are often the difference between winning a monthly or not, and always seem to cause so much hassle.

Just do away with the damn things once and for all, and then the entire conversation becomes moot.

</controversy font>

that's definitely a thought that I like...