Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 27 May 2007, 04:23 AM
GO STEELERS!

Default A little confused...

So I just moved into the top 10 for pick 'em, but I don't understand how it works. Am I buying 1/10 of my total into each athlete and getting the divi back from that? I don't get it. I know I want to buy big divi's but I just don't know. I tried looking up Oasis, but there's nothing on pick 10.
Unread 27 May 2007, 06:20 AM
Standout

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20guy View Post
So I just moved into the top 10 for pick 'em, but I don't understand how it works. Am I buying 1/10 of my total into each athlete and getting the divi back from that? I don't get it. I know I want to buy big divi's but I just don't know. I tried looking up Oasis, but there's nothing on pick 10.
i dont understand it either, but i think they are having major problems with it! i think they are not having competitons either.
Unread 27 May 2007, 08:48 AM
Antagonist.

For pick 10 you want to buy the top 10 divis for the day. There is no "moo" involved.
Unread 27 May 2007, 09:19 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Don't forget the FAQ page when you have questions

From FAQ:
What is Pick 10?
Pick 10 was created to provide a way for people with less time to be competitive without having to worry about being among the first to buy a stock. Simply put, you pick the 10 stocks you believe will receive the largest dividends in the morning. Make picks as you find them, or wait until all games are over. Since you're not buying the stock, it doesn't matter if pick your stocks at 8pm or the next morning at 8am. There are, however, commission fees for making changes, so you'll want to limit them.

How does the scoring work?
The scoring system for Pick 10 is based on the stock game's dividend system. Whatever dividend each stock you pick receives is converted to a dollar amount via a multiplier. For example, if a stock received a 10.05% dividend and the muliplier is $1,000, you'd receive $10,050 for picking that stock. This is done for each stock you pick that day to give you your daily score. Pick 10 dividends are released at 9:45am eastern.

Do I have to play every day?
As with any game, the more active you are, the more competitive you'll be. However, your 'lineup' of picks will remain intact until you change them. It's just unlikely that the same stocks will be top picks in consecutive days.

---
In other words, you're not really buying anything in Pick 10- you're picking the 10 stocks you think are due the largest divis.....and your gains for the day are the same whether you pick them as the grand slam reaches the bleachers or whether you pick them at 8:50am eastern the next morning...your score will be based on the picks in your list when dividends hit.

But alas, yes.....this month's competition is pretty much a wash until Nick can fix a few things. That's not to say you can't play it...this month is just not official. Hopefully next month can be again.
Unread 27 May 2007, 05:07 PM
GO STEELERS!

So I'm looking to buy stocks that have a greater divi percentage? Not the greater divi dollar amount? See, that's where I'm confused. And what's a multiplier?
Unread 27 May 2007, 05:59 PM
JSAdmin

right....dollar value of stocks mean nothing......they really don't in the regular game either......whether in a regular monthly competition or in Pick 10, you'd ideally pick those that earn the largest dividend percentage.

The multiplier is simply a means to convert that percentage to a dollar amount- i.e. we take a 10.6% divi times 1000 (moving the decimal 3 places to the right) and you'd earn $10,600 for picking that particular stock that day.
Unread 27 May 2007, 06:51 PM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
The multiplier is simply a means to convert that percentage to a dollar amount- i.e. we take a 10.6% divi times 1000 (moving the decimal 3 places to the right) and you'd earn $10,600 for picking that particular stock that day.
Just trying to understand a little more...

So the multiplier is ALWAYS 1000? That makes more sense to go for the bigger percentage. I kept going for the bigger $$$ divi's. Thanks.
Unread 27 May 2007, 11:46 PM
JSAdmin

The multiplier is currently 1000, yes...and yes, for all picks.

It ALWAYS makes the most sense to go for the highest percentage picks first, tho. Even in the main stock game, it's all about making the most from each dollar available....and has little to do with per share values. If I spend, say, $1mil on 5 stocks averaging 10% and you spend $1mil on 2 higher dollar stocks averaging 8%, you may earn more dollars per share and per stock but I still outgain you by 2%.