Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Sports Related > Golf
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Golf FORE!

Unread 08 Jun 2022, 12:27 PM
#3 of 80+ trillionaires!

Default LIV Golf tournaments

Don't know a lot about it but they have an event this weekend in London. Some listed players are there, and the prize money is huge. Will any of these tournaments divi? It is possible that some players will be barred from PGA events. Is there more to be concerned about besides the fact that, if Dustin Johnson doesn't play at a PGA event, we won't see Paulina Gretzky? Comments anyone?
Unread 08 Jun 2022, 01:48 PM

They will not divi.

There is a serous probability that those that decide to play, without permission from the PGA, will be either barred or suspended and heavily fined. There are no determinations yet on how,when,if they are suspended what the process will be to get reinstated.

For me....Michelson is no big loss to the tour now. Johnson and Na is another story. Any members of the PGA Tour that applied for permission to enter have been declined.

48 man fields with a $4 million prize to the winner. 54 hole events....no cut. Last place receives 120K. There is also a "team" thing involved, which I know not how that works. Very attractive.

The main problem is this Tour is being financed by Saudi Arabia (Kashogi, 9-11 and many various human rights issues. Greg Norman is their Commissioner (disappointing).

This is the field for the 1st event, being held outside of Lndon.

GOLFER
Dustin Johnson
Louis Oosthuizen
Kevin Na
Talor Gooch
Sergio Garcia
Pablo Larrazabal
Richard Bland
Matt Jones
Shaun Norris
Sam Horsfield
Lee Westwood
Ryo Kino----a
Ian Poulter
Bernd Wiesberger
Hudson Swafford
Oliver Bekker
Jinichiro Kozuma
Scott Vincent
Justin Harding
Laurie Canter
Branden Grace
Charl Schwartzel
Sadom Kaewkanjana
Hennie Du Plessis
Phachara Khongwatmai
Sihwan Kim
J.C. Ritchie
Adrian Otaegui
Hideto Tanihara
Martin Kaymer
Jediah Morgan
Blake Windred
TK Chantananuwat
Wade Ormsby
Peter Uihlein
Graeme McDowell
Turk Petit
Oliver Fisher
Andy Ogletree
Chase Koepka
David Puig
James Piot

This may or may not create a problem for the PGA Tour and the European Tour (now the DP Tour) as many marginal players (which dominate the above list) will realize they can win more money on the LIV and jump ship. If the LIV tour survives....good for them. If not, where are those ex PGA/DP tour players going to go? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. IMHO.....it will not end well for many.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 08 Jun 2022, 05:08 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

We may have to look into including these tournaments here at some point, but not sure how well they'd convert the way formulas are currently laid out....we'll have to see.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 09 Jun 2022, 03:04 PM

Not sure how that would work. 17 PGA players were suspended today. They will receive no fed-ex points on the LIV tour but more importantly, the prize money is substabtially more than the PGA Tour and would skew divis drastically. I just don't see it being viable.
Unread 13 Jun 2022, 12:45 PM

Just checked the Field for the US Open.All LIV golfers that qualify for the open are in the field. For those that are questioning it is because the US Open is NOT run by the PGA Tour but by the USGA.
Unread 16 Jun 2022, 07:39 AM
JSAdmin

yeah the money part would screw things up here just like it's doing for the PGA at this point....something I could work with if money day weren't the same for both tours, but not so much when they are...

Surprising to see only 70some listed golfers even WITH those suspended, tho

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 16 Jun 2022, 03:26 PM

As I read it....the LIV tour is only going to be be 54 hole events....Thurs-Sat.

The US Open is unique (regarding the field). This is the only tournament that allows ANYONE to try and qualify. This year 5000 guys applied....the reason you see so many names unfamiliar to us.
Unread 22 Jun 2022, 07:49 AM

Koepka.....jumped to LIV
Unread 23 Jun 2022, 07:20 AM
JSAdmin

Ancer as well

There'd be ways we could include LIV here...the question is, do we look at it like the old AFL, or the old USFL...

It would be possible to scale the money part to fit current formulas, for example...i.e. if a typical PGA purse is $12mil and $25mil for an LIV tournament, we could simply agree to halve everyone's winnings- if the winner in an LIV tournament gets $4mil, I input $2mil.

54 holes vs 72 holes doesn't really effect the formulas...other than for LIV golfers, they're putting up fewer stats and earning fewer daily divis.

Of course, none of this matters if finding viable stats isn't easy....and international tournaments present logistical issues.

Unread 23 Jun 2022, 07:28 AM
JSAdmin

Wait....they're only playing 54 holes...and only 8 events?! That's the same number of holes played as playing in 6 PGA tournaments and making the cut in all 6....but that's it for your year. From our end raising the question of viable projections, too...

from https://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf...n96lj6nd0xadhn

What is the schedule for the LIV Golf Invitational Series?
This week’s opener is the first of eight events, spanning four countries and running until the team championship finale at Trump National Doral, Miami in October this year.

Course Location Date
1 Centurion Club Hertfordshire, England June 9-11
2 Pumpkin Ridge Portland, Oregon June 30 - July 2
3 Trump National Golf Club Bedminster Bedminster, New Jersey July 29-31
4 The International Boston, Massachusetts September 2-4
5 Rich Harvest Farms Chicago, Illinois September 16-18
6 Stonehill Bangkok, Thailand October 7-9
7 Royal Greens Golf & Country Club Jeddah, Saudi Arabia October 14-16
8 Trump National Golf Club Doral Miami, Florida October 27-30
LIV Golf format explained
The LIV Golf Invitational Series features two competitions that will take place concurrently: an individual event and a team event.

The first seven events will take place over the course of LIV Golf's four-month regular season. The eighth event will be the team championship in late October in Miami, where teams compete against one another in a matchplay format for the LIV Golf team trophy.

Individual event
The first seven LIV events will have an individual competition, where each golfer will compete in a strokeplay format over the course of 54 holes, as opposed to the standard 72-hole tour events.

There are no cuts and the golfer with the lowest score after 54 holes will be declared the winner. The events will feature shotgun starts - each player starting at the same time but at a different hole, as opposed to consecutive playing groups starting one after the other at the first.

On each day of the opening competition at Centurion Club, the golfers will make their shotgun starts at 14:00 BST. The trophy presentation is scheduled for 18:30 BST on Sunday, highlighting the compressed playing time that the shotgun format allows.

Team event
Each event will feature 12 teams made up of four golfers each, with LIV Golf appointing a captain to lead each team. Those captains will then select the other three players for their teams in a snake draft format each week, as was the case for the opener in London.

Captains will also select the lineup for each week. Each team will have its own logo, name and colours.

MORE: Why is Dustin Johnson playing in Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series?

Team scoring
During the first two rounds, each team's best two scores will be used to decide where they rank. That number rises to three in the third and final round.

The team championship in Miami will be a four-day, four-round match-play knockout bracket.

LIV Golf prize money
Each regular-season event features a $25 million purse (£20 million), with $20 million to be split over the 48 golfers taking part. The winner stands to make $4 million, with the player bringing up the rear in the no-cut format having the consolation of pocketing $120,000.

The remaining $5 million will go to the top three teams, with $3 million, $1.5 million and $500,000 covering the respective podium positions.

At the end of the individual events, players who have participated in at least four will divide a $30 million bonus pool. The individual champion will net $18 million, the second-place golfer $8 million, and the third-place $4 million.

The winning team after the season finale will receive $16 million, with the group in last place still able to split $1 million in tournament earnings.

Unread 27 Jun 2022, 12:11 PM

On the defensive for much of the past year, commissioner Jay Monahan finally offered a plan to combat the Tour’s existential threat.

Rolling out a schedule that he insisted was years in the making and not a direct response to LIV poaching a few of his top players, Monahan announced last week significant purse increases to six existing tournaments, the addition of a three-event international series that will likely begin in 2024, and a revamped playoff format that will be available to just 70 players and not the usual 125.

Combined, the Tour initiatives are a welcome first step for a circuit that has largely been sticking to the status quo, even as LIV snagged eight of the top 50 players in the world (and counting). But these moves still aren’t likely to dissuade players who are thinking of making the leap.

Let’s break this down:

• It’s obvious that the clearest solution to the Tour’s current predicament is to create a star-studded, streamlined circuit that has only 25 to 30 tournaments for the top 75 to 100 players. That serves two purposes: It eliminates the bottom-feeders who make no difference to the Tour’s bottom line, and it raises the stakes at each tournament because of the relative scarcity of the schedule. But getting to that point is tricky, if not impossible in its current setup. The Tour is a member-run organization whose stated mission is to provide playing opportunities. The new-look schedule (which will start next year but be fully implemented in '24) represents a slight departure from that mission, making clearer the line between the A Tour and the B Tour. But does it go far enough? There still is a similar number of exempt pros and a similar number of opportunities. All the new schedule does is call out to fans, These are the only events that matter:

After the purse increases, this is what a Top Player's schedule could look like (plus a few of his personal faves):
Kapalua
Riviera
Bay Hill
Players
Match Play
Masters
PGA
Memorial
US Open
Open
St. Jude
BMW
Tour Champ
Global Series No. 1
Global Series No. 2
Global Series No. 3

• It likely wasn’t a coincidence that purses for tournaments like Riviera, Bay Hill and Memorial will be bumped to $20 million – that’s the prize money on offer for the LIV events, before the team component is factored in. Of course, there’s nothing stopping the Saudi-backed tour from announcing a purse increase to $30 million or more – backed by the Public Investment Fund, LIV won’t be outbid. As Monahan himself acknowledged, the LIV circuit is an “irrational threat” that isn’t concerned with a return on investment.

• Plans for the fall have yet to be finalized, but what’s proposed is a bit of a head-scratcher. The Tour’s pitch to top players is a three-tournament international series (England, Middle East, Asia) that will feature gigantic purses and some sort of team component. Except it’s during a time of year, after the fall slate, when the top players don’t want to resume globetrotting – they want time off, to spend time with their family, work on their games or make equipment changes. For everyone else, the fall returns to its pre-wraparound roots with a series of events that will be used to finalize status or determine priority. That’ll appeal to golf’s diehards but no one else.

• LIV's pursuit of the next-generation stars means that the Tour needs to respond in a meaningful way. Right now, through the PGA Tour University program, the top five graduating seniors earn Korn Ferry Tour status, with Nos. 6-15 heading to Canada. Given the reshaped landscape, that's unlikely to be enticing enough for these guys to either stay in school or stick with the program; they're being forced into a feeder system with no guarantee they'll ever emerge at the end. The top college players (top 3? top 5?) need to receive Tour cards, full stop. Yes, many of these kids could use a year or two of Korn Ferry Tour seasoning, but these are unprecedented times and there needs to be a more direct route to the best tour on the planet.

Me: Brooks Koepka is a hypocritical sellout.
Unread 10 Jul 2022, 08:29 AM
JSAdmin

Clearest solution is to create a top 75-100 only circuit? Exactly how do they propose to determine who those top players are if not every golfer gets the chance to compete with them?

It reminds me of what's going (IMBO) wrong with college football....players getting big money (for amateurs) along with realignments that will push them to relegate so-called lesser schools to have even less of a chance to break into 'the big boys club' in any given year.

If you rarely get a chance to even compete against the supposed best, how do you prove you deserve that chance? Plus, in golf, there's still something of an Any Given Sunday thing going where the Matt Fitzpatricks and JT Postons of the world ARE the best, even if only for a given week. The closest you'd have to seeing that with a 'star studded' lineup is if #100 wins.

Unread 14 Aug 2022, 08:18 PM

Bubba Watson has jumped and there is heresay that Cameron Smith will be jumping over when the Fed-Ex tourn is finished.
Unread 30 Aug 2022, 10:43 PM

Add:

Cameron Smith
Joaquim Nieman
Marc Leishman
Anhiban Lahiri
Harold Varner
Cameron Tringale
Unread 31 Jan 2023, 04:22 PM

and now....Sebastian Munoz has jumped over.