Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Sports Related > Golf
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Golf FORE!

Unread 22 Jan 2013, 07:18 PM

Default Phil-stick to your guns for cryin' out loud!

Sponsors/the Tour/ or both making you backpedal? Stick to your guns, you didn't say anything wrong!!!!!!!

After his final round Sunday, Mickelson, 42, was asked about comments he made on a conference call last week, in reference to Steve Stricker’s plan to go into semi-retirement. On the call, Mickelson opined that each player’s way of “handling things” will be different following “what’s going on the last couple of months, politically.”

Asked to clarify those comments after the final round of the Humana Challenge, where he tied for 37th in his season debut, Mickelson said, “I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do yet. I’m not going to jump the gun, but there’s going to be some drastic changes for me, because I happen to be in that (tax) zone that has been targeted federally and by the state. It doesn’t work for me right now, so I’m going to have to make some changes.”

Mickelson, who lives in Rancho Santa Fe, said that he is being taxed at a “62 to 63 percent” rate, and confirmed that his financial situation was one of the reasons why he pulled out of the group that purchased the San Diego Padres.

Though he did not elaborate on what those “drastic changes” would be Sunday, Mickelson said he planned to discuss his situation in greater detail during his pre-tournament news conference Wednesday at the Farmers Insurance Open, in his hometown of San Diego.

Two days after telling a small group of reporters that he needed to make “drastic changes” in his life following federal and California state tax increases, Phil Mickelson said in a statement that he should have kept his opinions private and apologized to anyone he may have offended.

In a statement released Tuesday through his spokesman T.R. Reinman, Mickelson said, “I absolutely love what I do. I love and appreciate the game of golf and the people who surround it. I’m as motivated as I’ve ever been to work on my game, to compete and to win championships.

“Right now, I’m like many Americans who are trying to understand the new tax laws. I’ve been learning a lot over the last few months and talking with people who are trying to help me make intelligent and informed decisions. I certainly don’t have a definitive plan at this time, but like everyone else I want to make decisions that are best for my future and my family.

“Finances and taxes are a personal matter and I should not have made my opinions on them public. I apologize to those I have upset or insulted and assure you I intend to not let it happen again.”
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 23 Jan 2013, 05:22 PM
Coach

I agree. He should have stick to his guns. Instead of being a whiny little b1tch for what he said, he's now a whiny little b1tch for backing away from what he said. But than I dont hold the same reverence for him and wished he had gone galt

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 24 Jan 2013, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
I agree. He should have stick to his guns. Instead of being a whiny little b1tch for what he said, he's now a whiny little b1tch for backing away from what he said. But than I dont hold the same reverence for him and wished he had gone galt
Why would you call him that for complaining that his income is taxed at 62% [federal + state]?

You'd be whining, too.

Nick
Unread 24 Jan 2013, 07:01 PM

/shakes head.....unbelievable
Unread 25 Jan 2013, 03:52 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Why would you call him that for complaining that his income is taxed at 62% [federal + state]?

You'd be whining, too.

Nick
Because as a guy who works a blue collar job where my hands get dirty and Im out there in the -30 wind chills, I dont want to read about some rich pompous azzhole who "works" about 25 weekends a year whining about "I make too much money so my taxes are so high". And go fly a kite for implying what I would think or do.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 25 Jan 2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
Because as a guy who works a blue collar job where my hands get dirty and Im out there in the -30 wind chills, I dont want to read about some rich pompous azzhole who "works" about 25 weekends a year whining about "I make too much money so my taxes are so high". And go fly a kite for implying what I would think or do.
Then don't listen to him Either way, he 100% has a right to air his grievances.

Thomas Sowell said it best, 'I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.'

Nick
Unread 25 Jan 2013, 05:37 PM

he may be a lot of things but you are downright wrong about him being a pompous azzhole. It also does not aid your position by exaggerating how much he works either. In addition he probably does more charitable things with the money he EARNED than any other athlete I know of.
Unread 29 Jan 2013, 12:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Many financial "experts" that have read the story think the blame should be put on Phil. They say there is no reason Phil couldn't take advantage of any number of loopholes the US government gives the wealthy to trim their tax burden. Most say he could easily get down to 50% or even lower with a few financial moves and still not lose a dime.
Unread 30 Jan 2013, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
Many financial "experts" that have read the story think the blame should be put on Phil. They say there is no reason Phil couldn't take advantage of any number of loopholes the US government gives the wealthy to trim their tax burden. Most say he could easily get down to 50% or even lower with a few financial moves and still not lose a dime.
And the fact remains that he shouldn't have to use any loopholes.

Nick
Unread 30 Jan 2013, 06:35 PM
Administrator

More whiners -- http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...ndlier-states/