Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 18 Aug 2010, 11:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
I'm not saying it automatically changes anything, but is it not a fair point to at least question a situation that benefits a supporter of Hamas?
Rauf is not a supporter of Hamas, he is only seen that way by radicals that want to label him as one. His only 'support' for Hamas is the fact that he does not call Hamas a terrorist organization. He condemns terrorism and supports the state of Isreal.

With so much misinformation clouding facts, anyone associated with this project is deemed a radical.

Quote:
The other point to me is....unless you are FROM New York, can you really understand the feelings surrounding the World Trade Center attacks?
Yes. This was an attack on America. Regardless if it is in New York or Topeka, all Americans should never forget the horrific act that took place that fateful September day.

But regardless of proximity to that attack, I think it is absurd that Americans are ready to ignore one of the basic tenets of our country's founding and deny a group of people the freedom to practice religion.
Unread 18 Aug 2010, 11:47 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Fair enough re Rauf

One thing we tend to not think about is the fact that, to the people WE call terrorists, WE are the terrorists......obviously this difference in opinion trumps the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry by just a lil bit...

We'll have to agree to disagree re proximity to the attack. Most definitely we all felt it and should never forget it....I'm just suggesting that it's not quite as personal as it would have been had we actually been in the city attacked and/or personally knew people there.

I'm not suggesting my opinion is that we deny this group freedom of religion. I do, however, find it interesting that so many seem to be more offended if it appears people practicing non-Christian religions are being denied something while separation of church and state is so often reversed from the intent of our by and large Christian founding fathers.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 18 Aug 2010, 05:14 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
while separation of church and state is so often reversed from the intent of our by and large Christian founding fathers.
actually that couldn't be further from the truth. the main reason the puritans of New England came over was to escape state run religion, they were completely in favor of separation (of course they were hardly what one would call religiously tolerant).

Baltimore founded Maryland for the same reason to escape religious prejudice on the part of the state. He sought to create a haven for Catholics and was a big proponent for religious tolerance (probably because he experienced first hand the effects of an official state endorsed belief system).

Penn founded his colony solely on the basis of religious tolerance and a complete acceptance of all religions with out any interference of government. Far and away the most religious friendly of the colonies.

Georgia doesn't count, since they were a penal colony and somehow i doubt religion was a large concern for their charter.

And Rhode Island was in fact founded explicitly to escape the interference of politics (puritanical Massachusetts) in religious freedom.

So the idea of acceptance of all religions (not just Judeo-Christian) is a very fundamental component to what the founders and framers had in mind.

and what all people of faith need to understand and accept is that their faith is just one of many on the planet and within our borders.

simple point is you don't have to accept other belief systems (i mean i would hardly worship cats or rats myself) but there really is no basis or justification to place one above another (outside of your own personal feelings and place of worship), or to give one more prominence than any other.

Thankfully the founders and the framers knew this, sadly too many (and this encompasses all faiths) are incapable of understanding this basic premise.

I often wonder though how they justify their opinions and then whine when their faiths are challenged (e.g., Muslims and the current community center or Christians and the pledge debate, the in god we trust debate, and the challenging of the 10 commandments) each demands respect and the ability to practice their own but are so quick to dismiss others. if that isn't the epitome of prejudice and the antithesis of what American ideology and values are, then i ask what is?

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 18 Aug 2010, 06:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Interesting item here...

Muslims have been praying at Pentagon crash site, but...

Quote:
Pentagon officials say that no one in the military or the families of the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks has ever protested.
Unread 18 Aug 2010, 09:38 PM
GM

Thank you for reminding me why some people came to America in the first place.

It is no accident that the first amendment talks about religious freedom and free exercise as a person sees fit for their own situation because in some cases that is the exact reason why some came here in the first place. They came here because they could not openly practice the religion they believed in. Everyone is different when it comes to their religious beliefs and in many cases it is very personal to a person. But I doubt nearly as many people know about what I just discussed as should know.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 20 Aug 2010, 09:48 AM
GM

Well of course they let Muslims pray at the Pentagon that is very much a part of their religion.

I was watching somewhere on television yesterday they have a chapel at the Pentagon and various religions get to practice their religion there. And what is just to the left of the door to go to the chapel. It is none other than a small indoor memorial to 9/11.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.