Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 15 Mar 2007, 02:49 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
If by right you mean that nobody will be upset, true.

If by right you mean that people are treated fairly, false.

I got messed around a little.. but no where near what those two gentlemen above me got. By employing the (clearly wrong) solution that you did, you're saying either "stay awake until the last whistle is blown" or "take a guess or two for the gipper".

The only clear solution when there is no site access two hours (or more) prior to divis is :
RESET back to the previous morning's pre-divi and SCRAP the day in question. That is the only fair way. Sure, peeps will be pizzed that their day's "efforts" were in vain -- and rightfully so. But that is a lesser evil than allowing some with full ports to compete with partial ports and with empty ports. That is just WRONG.
Clearly wrong, eh? How is what we did clearly wrong? there IS no 'clear'.

Reset back to the previous morning- you say that like it's possible to do, without a hitch, at the push of a button....it's not...and times we HAVE done that, there's been problems to resolve anyway.

2 hours or more as a rule? Ok...let's say you leave the site at midnight, get back onsite to finalize things at 8am....site is running normal. Then the '2 hour rule' goes into effect 'cause, unbeknownst to you, the server was down from 3-5am. No divis....fair? Or...the server is down only Nick and I are sleeping and don't even know it was down then back up.

Did I mention damned if I do, damned if I don't?
Unread 15 Mar 2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzElvis View Post
Nice commnet. Since I won the first few months. Why not belittle it. I got 2 IPOs coming? no?

BTW if we couldnt buy why do we care how long we can sell?? LOL Sorry the diner was closed early and ya'll didnt get to eat. But the bathrooms are open until 2pm. Bleaznechkkk.
Actually, the selling was in reference to people who did buy and didn't use auto-sell.

Nick
Unread 15 Mar 2007, 03:27 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
If by right you mean that nobody will be upset, true.

If by right you mean that people are treated fairly, false.

I got messed around a little.. but no where near what those two gentlemen above me got. By employing the (clearly wrong) solution that you did, you're saying either "stay awake until the last whistle is blown" or "take a guess or two for the gipper".

The only clear solution when there is no site access two hours (or more) prior to divis is :
RESET back to the previous morning's pre-divi and SCRAP the day in question. That is the only fair way. Sure, peeps will be pizzed that their day's "efforts" were in vain -- and rightfully so. But that is a lesser evil than allowing some with full ports to compete with partial ports and with empty ports. That is just WRONG.
I gotta agree with this. Myself I was 1 buy shorted today, 2 last time. Not the end of the world.
I know Orren/Nick are spending a lot of time with all the upgrades. Maybe slow down on them and put together a page covering the rules for the unusual events we incur. I know things will come up not covered, you will bite the bullet and make a quick decision when they do, then add it to the page.
I'd rather you make a decision I disageed with as opposed to opening it up to discussion at the time it happens. Just to much uncertainty for too long while everyone voices opinions.
Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Unread 15 Mar 2007, 03:32 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to jpf25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
I gotta agree with this. Myself I was 1 buy shorted today, 2 last time. Not the end of the world.
I know Orren/Nick are spending a lot of time with all the upgrades. Maybe slow down on them and put together a page covering the rules for the unusual events we incur. I know things will come up not covered, you will bite the bullet and make a quick decision when they do, then add it to the page.
I'd rather you make a decision I disageed with as opposed to opening it up to discussion at the time it happens. Just to much uncertainty for too long while everyone voices opinions.
Just my opinion for what it's worth.
I gotta agree
Unread 15 Mar 2007, 03:45 PM
JSAdmin

Well I'm certainly not opposed to putting some policies in place.....as long as you guys understand that sometimes my and/or Nick's availabilty is also an issue...and that putting things into place to go back may also cause extra server loads at times necessary backups are made, etc.....

For the past couple years now I've been primarily working at home...meaning I've been fairly available as needed to deal with things. That's about to end () at least for awhile......
Unread 15 Mar 2007, 05:23 PM
alive

hmmmm...

gonna have to call ya rich the magician..

yesterday morning's stdgs:
1 Polar 346,874.29
2 Relic 344,225.14
3 rich76 338,772.57
4 djrogers378 316,022.46
5 Lordofdeath 308,605.05
6 jpf25 307,886.86
7 carpetman 299,841.84
8 AzElvis 298,341.84
9 notredame79 298,273.12
10 bballjer44 294,345.96

You're $5,450 behind me, I make 9 buys, you make zero and now you're $2,300 behind... if that ain't magic... I don't know what is..
Unread 15 Mar 2007, 05:31 PM

You are absolutely correct....and that is my fault. Orren asked what the gap was and I gave him the day before. My error...not intentional...and I apologize. I can assure you it will be corrected.

Considering the decision that was made, I agree with Orren that it was easier to attempt to adjust ports accordingly then to scrap the day and possibly cause many more problems.

I had made 2 buys Randy.....LIDNI and THIJO.....FWIW
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 07:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
Guys....

Put my shoes on for a minute and tell me how you'd have handled it differently...bearing in mind that you don't know how many buys are generally made in the morning, you don't have a lot of free time today, and you seem to find yourself in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation far too often. And, as usual, you don't necessarily have a lot of time to make your decision because people are asking for your decision....right now...so you've got to process all the implications as quickly as possible.

Now.....take off my shoes..I gotta go grab a burger.
Not that my Opinion carries much weigh but...... If I was running a site and my site broke or become unavailable or flawed in any way I would make the whole day of competition voided. It happens too much. One time zone always gets screwed. I would either kill the day or give every1 the same avg DIVI of say 10% for their MO, 5% for Yearly, 1% for TV. I am just throwin generic %s out just an idea. I definitely wouldn't just try to appease half here or there. You will always find one pr!ck who doesnt like your decision. I dont get mad. I just really dont have time to play competitively now. I like Pick 10 because it gives the job holder / single parent / side businessman / poker player / sporting event spectator a venue to be competitive here.
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 10:47 AM
#3 of 80+ trillionaires!

I know Magniphi costs $$$, but it was nice to be able to go to a site to see what the problem is (or if there is an access problem). Maybe an email address to send an email to...?
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Working on a new domain name, I promise. There are about 100 things to do; Orren and I have the time for 10.

Nick
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 11:29 AM
JSAdmin

I was thinking about that yesterday....that we had no way to tell anyone nor did they know how to find out what was going on...

We do need a new domain name...but it'd be tied to a new company name...and that's not decided. I could set up something temporary (like an email address that autoreplies an update if you email it) but then I'd have 2 things to update once we get a domain again.

But yeah, Nick's right....100 things to do, time for 10

Troy....in situations like yesterday, there IS no decision that doesn't appease some, annoy others. The only way around that is a pre-determined policy...which still does the same thing, but they know that's the policy so it's more palatable. But as I said yesterday...any policy would be hard to follow when every situation is different- when did the problem happen, when did it get resolved, what availability do Nick and/or I have at the time it's resolved...