Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Techie Corner
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Techie Corner Ask/Answer computer questions

Unread 20 Mar 2007, 07:55 PM
6th Round Draft Pick

Default Windows Vista

Thought I would get this one started up too with a question about Vista, anyone get it yet? Pros/Cons? Should I upgrade yet or wait?
Unread 20 Mar 2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

I don't have it, but I'd say [and am following my own advice] that you shouldn't upgrade for a little while .. perhaps August/September. And make sure you have a decent graphics card, 512MB+ of RAM and a newer processor [64-bit would be preferred].

Nick
Unread 21 Mar 2007, 01:52 AM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

I'm following my own advice... and i'm not getting it...

If you know how to build a computer or know someone who knows how to... and you have some extra cash to spend... get your parts now...

What I would like to do is... Order is a brand new computer... and just put everything away till the one I have no gives away..... Then build the one and replace the old one...

I'm not trusting Vista at all.... Bill Gates and the Music/Recording industy went on a power trip...

But, if you HAVE to have it..... Wait till atleast service pack 1 to come out...

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 12:22 AM
1st Round Draft Pick

i am in no way a pc guru, but i have not read anything good about, and don't plan on getting it at all
Unread 30 Mar 2007, 01:34 PM
Head Coach

I bought a HP laptop late December with XP, free upgrade to Vista. Vista arrived a few days ago, I'll install it in a couple weeks and post results. I haven't installed much in the way of apps, knowing I would be doing this, so I have nothing to lose.
From what I've read, pluses are better security, a 'pretty' interface called aero, and much improved media apps. Minuses, until sp1, MS operating systems usually have lots of bugs. This OS was much better tested, but with MS history I would expect bugs.
I would get Vista Premium if purchasing a new computer, but would not upgrade one for a few months.
512mb is doable, but to run the aero interface you better have at least 1 gig.
Also video card very important. Needs to be good, but not necessarily expensive.
You can set a second partition or a second hd and install as a dual boot, xp or vista. Some articles say it's a problem, some recommend it. Myself, why do it? Clean install or wait is my advice.
If you decide to move forward make sure you run Microsoft's compatability test first from their web site. It will analyze your hardware and let you know if it's up the Vista's minimum requirements. It will also let you know if what version of Vista you can buy at the 'upgrade price' and which requires full price.
Unread 01 Sep 2008, 08:09 PM

OK baller and others..it's been 5 months. I understand there is already an SP1 for Vista.......

any jurors like to make a verdict? I'm looking into a laptop (cheap one) and I'm wondering if I should still stick with XP? I know Vista requires much more RAm so am I understanding that 1GB is enough or more needed?
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 01 Sep 2008, 09:07 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Hey Rich, I can tell you that my daughters cheap laptop has vista, and it only has 1 gig of ram. She hasn't really done any complaining about it to me. Not real sure what else she has done with it that would be of help to you. She downloads lots of itunes music for ipod, and she has been taking pictures of her drawings and putting them on her laptop as well. I only purchased a cheap acer laptop from wal-mart at the start of the school year last year for her. Not much help, but I was able to drone on and on and on.
Unread 01 Sep 2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
OK baller and others..it's been 5 months. I understand there is already an SP1 for Vista.......

any jurors like to make a verdict? I'm looking into a laptop (cheap one) and I'm wondering if I should still stick with XP? I know Vista requires much more RAm so am I understanding that 1GB is enough or more needed?
What will you be doing on this laptop?

Nick
Unread 02 Sep 2008, 10:05 AM
Got Xbox One?

Hey,

MS says the minimum is 512 MB - 1 GB depending on the version of Vista you get. I would say double anything that they suggest. I use the Enterprise edition and run 4 GB and have no problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 08:54 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:

I have been running Vista Home Premium for six months now...I LOVE it!!!!
The only problem I have had with it is it will not allow you to run a "Beta' version (un-signed) driver or app. without poopin' around in the bios (not recommended).

RAM

I show 4094MB ram total...using 1947MB + or - constantly

As you can see, 2 gig of ram should be the minimum for vista.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks guys. I agree that, from what others have also told me, 2Gb is the real minimum. I've also been told that there's too much security shiznit and causes problems. I have decided to stick with XP.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 08:46 PM
Got Xbox One?

Quote:
Thanks guys. I agree that, from what others have also told me, 2Gb is the real minimum. I've also been told that there's too much security shiznit and causes problems. I have decided to stick with XP.
Hey,

Not much security problems that I have encountered. The annoying message asking permission to do anything that you hear so much about can be turned off after that it operates much like XP.
Unread 21 Sep 2008, 06:57 PM
Lost in the Woods(again)

Couple weeks ago I bought a laptop that has Vista on it. The main problem I've had is getting my printer/scanner to work with it and other software I used on my old computer. I had to spend the afternoon at the library (wifi vs rusty wire) downloading software patches to get software to work with Windows. So in some cases I had to buy new software or opt not to use the fuctions that won't work with Vista.

Just recently one of the budget computer stores are now advertising, a person can get a new computer with XP.

Bottom line I haven't been happy with windows since Windows 98. If Windows was a car it would have been recalled a long time ago. Where are you Ralph Nader.