Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 21 Oct 2007, 01:19 AM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco
Default Off Season Low Down - Mlb

Yes, I know its not really the "off season" yet.. but its close... so i'm just going to name it that way...

I'm going to try to keep up with the baseball news and rumor for the off season/winter meetings going on... And post all the interesting stuff so we can discuss it... Just like the other thread with Torre and Hunter...

Anywho - My lastest find...

I really thought the yanks wanted to go young... not trade their young away...

per mlbtraderumours.com

Quote:

Yanks To Pursue Rowand?

A source of mine with Yankee connections had some good info for me today. Much was discussed yesterday in Tampa.

For starters, the Yanks are expected to make "eye-popping" offers to retain Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera before the World Series ends. The team does not want the pair to file for free agency.

Additionally, the Yankees may make a big play for Aaron Rowand. They believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy would entice the Twins for Johan Santana. That's a huge price, but doesn't seem out of line to me for the best pitcher in baseball.
Note: All my quotes are from www.rotoworld.com - and will tell you other wise if I find them else where....

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back

Unread 21 Oct 2007, 08:38 AM
Antagonist.

How old is Wang? The Twins need to get young talented cheap players for Santana.
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 09:45 AM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Isn't Santana a free agent?Why would you trade for a free agent?
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 09:59 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbhub View Post
Isn't Santana a free agent?Why would you trade for a free agent?
Santana has 1 year left on his deal- he'd be a FA AFTER next season barring a extension/deal.....there's just so much talk ABOUT him that people THINK he's a FA.
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 10:53 AM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
Santana has 1 year left on his deal- he'd be a FA AFTER next season barring a extension/deal.....there's just so much talk ABOUT him that people THINK he's a FA.
Kind of like people thought Torre was still under contract to the Yankees.
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 10:56 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadduff View Post
Kind of like people thought Torre was still under contract to the Yankees.
egg sack lee

dammit, now I'm hungry...
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 04:34 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

A story of more steroids... Newest person on the list... Paul Byrd... playing for a playoff team...

While i'm not sure on what HGH does for the body and it might of been used to help with his set backs in life with the tumor...

Quote:
Paul Byrd admits to using HGH, though he hasn't done during the season, because three different doctors diagnosed him as suffering from adult growth-hormone deficiency.

Byrd said he was diagnosed with a tumor on his pituitary gland at the base of his brain, a condition that may have contributed to his deficiency, doctors told him. He paid for his HGH with his own credit card, and MLB was aware of his usage of the substance. "I have not taken any hormone apart from a doctor's care and supervision," Byrd said. "The Indians, my coaches and MLB have known that I have had a pituitary gland issue for some time and have assisted me in getting blood tests in different states. I am currently working with an endocrinologist and will have another MRI on my head after the season to make sure that the tumor hasn't grown."

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 04:36 PM

if they penalize Byrd for this I am finished with baseball. The NBA is already history for me...this would suck.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 05:21 PM
JSAdmin

HGH wasn't a banned substance in baseball until AFTER he last purchased any..

(HGH btw is a natural element in the human body....NOT an artificially created one like steroids)

Regardless of WHAT one thinks of whether he should have or shouldn't have ever bought any (I'll leave that for another day)........to me, it is COMPLETELY BOGUS that they choose to release info about it........precisely now.
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 05:22 PM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
HGH wasn't a banned substance in baseball until AFTER he last purchased any..

Regardless of WHAT one thinks of whether he should have or shouldn't have ever bought any (I'll leave that for another day)........to me, it is COMPLETELY BOGUS that they choose to release info about it........precisely now.
Why his season is over tonight
Unread 22 Oct 2007, 12:28 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Quote:
The Cardinals will announce Monday afternoon that Tony La Russa has agreed to a contract extension to remain the team's manager.

La Russa traveled from his home in Oakland to St. Louis on Sunday to be at the 1 p.m. press conference. The contract is expected to be a three-year deal or a two-year deal with an option for a third.
There goes the idea of La Russa going to the Yankees...

Speaking of the Yankees... They are in their hiring process now..

Quote:
The Yankees will begin interviewing candidates to replace Joe Torre on Monday.

Joe Girardi will interview Monday, then Don Mattingly Tuesday and Tony Peņa on Wednesday. General manager Brian Cashman expects to increase the list of candidates as the search continues.

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 22 Oct 2007, 11:19 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

And now... this comes out.... Byrd never had permission from MLB...

Quote:
MLB said Paul Byrd never had permission from the league to use HGH, as he claimed when his use was reported by the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday.

"If he's saying that to create the impression that he was authorized or had permission, we have never granted a (therapeutic use exemption) for human growth hormone, ever," said Rob Manfred, MLB's senior vice president for business and labor. "Not for this guy, not for anybody." MLB is planning to interview Byrd regarding his use of HGH, which he says was necessary after he was diagnosed with adult growth-hormone deficiency.
Also, the prize that many teams might be wanting at the trade dead line either this year or not... Isn't on the market...

Quote:
Agent Matt Sosnick said he ran into Marlins CEO Larry Beinfest at a supermarket on Saturday and came away believing Dontrelle Willis wouldn't be traded.

Who needs to waste cell phone minutes when it's a well-known fact that Beinfest spends most of the day hanging out in frozen foods? Sosnick asked when they could discuss a contract for Willis. "He said, 'We plan on Dontrelle being here, so we'll plan on doing it the normal time,'" Sosnick said. That'd be late November. Willis, who figures to receive only a minor raise from the $6.45 million he made this year, has two years of arbitration to go before freee agency.

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 28 Oct 2007, 11:53 AM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Some Award Winners...

Tampa Bay Rays first baseman Carlos Pena and Washington Nationals first baseman Dmitri Young the season's top comeback players

Torii Hunter was named Marvin Miller Man of the Year on Saturday by the Major League Baseball Players Association.

Magglio Ordonez won the Luis Aparicio Award, which has become an annual MVVP (Most Valuable Venezuelan Player) award, presented by Venezuelan media.

Craig Biggio received the 2007 Roberto Clemente Award on Saturday night before Game 3 of the World Series.

Quote:
The Daily News reports Joe Girardi appears to be the leading candidate for the next Yankees managerial position, and the announcement could be made as early as Sunday.

GM Brian Cashman is the one who will make the recommendation to ownership based on his interviews with all three candidates - Girardi, Don Mattingly and Tony Pena. If the Yankees choose Girardi, Mattingly almost certainly would not agree to serve under him.
Girardi - On the top of the list... No surprise here....

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 29 Oct 2007, 06:42 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

1st day of the true off season and it was a busy day... for some atleast...

Yankees Name their man...

Quote:
According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN, the Yankees have offered their managerial job to Joe Girardi.

Marchand reports that Girardi is expected to accept the offer and agree to a three-year deal worth around $6 million. After being passed over for the manager job, Don Mattingly is not expected to remain on the Yankees' coaching staff.
Joe Nathan back in 08'

Quote:
Twins exercised RHP Joe Nathan's $6 million option for 2008.

The option was a no-brainer, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee that he'll be back with the Twins, as there's a slight chance he could be traded. First, the club will discuss an extension with the soon-to-be 33-year-old
Tigers get a new SS....

Quote:
Tigers acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Braves for RHP Jair Jurrjens and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

That was remarkably quick. That Renteria is being dealt is no surprise, and it figured that the Tigers would be high on the list of suitors. However, we don't see wht the Braves felt they had to make the move today when better offers could have come later. This simply isn't a great return for a player who was one of the best in the NL last season. Renteria hit .332/.390/.470 in 2007, and he's under control for a very reasonable $20 million over two years (the second year is at Detroit's option). The Tigers did quite well to get him now. It'll certainly head off any Alex Rodriguez speculation.

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 31 Oct 2007, 06:41 PM
Antagonist.

Cameron suspended 25 games http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html