Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 14 Mar 2020, 09:14 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

It's already kinda weirding out my mornings, because I've been SO used to doing stats, pickem results, pickems.......I'm sure I'll find some things to do 'round here, like deltas, etc....but yeah, the break may be welcome to, given I'm settling into a new place and a new job right now.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 17 Mar 2020, 07:07 PM

To some, all of these closures and suspensions may seem like over reaction. Not to me. Now that testing is being done at a more rapid pace, I believe that we are going to be very surprised at how many in this country are actually infected. It doesn't seem to phase thousands of moronic, selfish and foolish spring breakers though.

The economic and emotional effects will be felt for a very long time. My heart goes out to thousands of small businesses that will fold, and thousands and thousands of people that will lose their jobs.

These closings and curfews are very necessary to insure that this does not get too far out of control and overwhelm our hospitals, doctors and nurses.

Do what you can.....look out for elderly family and neighbors.
Wash your hands vigorously. Load up on Vitamin C to strengthen your immune system. Stay away from groups of people.

We always overcome and we will get through this.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 18 Mar 2020, 08:28 AM
JSAdmin

The economics of all this bother me almost as much as the medical. Those small businesses you mention often depend on large businesses that can ride out situations like this, losing revenue but not too much to recover from. But the small business has far less leeway.

Small example- St Patricks Day is normally a huge night for bars, at least around here......30 people in my brother's bar last night when there would normally be 300. While he's still a small business, he can withstand a period of low revenue....a couple others around may not.

It's also not just a case of who closes....my company is running into a ton of situations where business as usual simply isn't happening and decisions that might take hours are taking days because the people involved are working from home, not sitting in the same office....that's if decisions are being made at all.

Another odd part of this are the grocery stores....struggling to keep enough on the shelves with people buying like they need to hole up for months.....extra strain on the stores now followed by excessively low sales later because people will HAVE those big supplies of so many things.

Washing your hands, always a good thing...as is beefing up your immune system. However, a nurse I talked to agreed that this thing is more airborn than anything....stay 6 feet away from people and your chance of being infected is drastically reduced.

The (literally) sick part in this, too, are those greedy mongers who'll make millions on all this by shorting stocks, then buying as the stocks start eventually recovering, etc....

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 20 Mar 2020, 12:07 AM
1st Round Draft Pick

This sucks. So boring.
Unread 21 Mar 2020, 05:37 PM
All Pro

I remember being bummed out that the NBA season was being suspended and then outraged that the NCAA Tourney was being cancelled. Since then, schools have closed, restaurants limited to takeout only, the stock market has plunged, public gatherings limited to 10 or fewer in my state, and it feels like lockdown has essentially become the norm.

Suddenly my petty sports concerns don't seem so important anymore.

Everyone, please stay healthy and safe. This too shall pass, if we are all smart about how we conduct our lives over the next several weeks.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 22 Mar 2020, 09:39 AM
JSAdmin

It gets a little weird out, for sure. Even here in SD where there are 14 known cases in the entire state, every one of them traveled recently, one died but had health issues the other 13 I don't believe were even hospitalized......but on St Patricks Day when bars would normally be packed, it was easy to find parking...my brother's bar would normally have 200-300 in it and there were 20--30. Then yesterday, I took advantage of the special hour before my grocery store's new shorter hours set aside for those under 'higher risk', including those 60+ and was amazed that there were 30 people lined up at opening, people still buying like the shelves will be empty (talked to an employee who said they're still getting plenty of most things, but that's starting to change and oddly enough one of the first things that might run out...is chicken). Then I decided to hit a drive thru for breakfast...had to be drive thru, lobby closed....and it took 20 minutes to get it because they made every order as it came in and only had 2 people working.

My brother in Honolulu is irritated Hawaii's governor hasn't done more about thwarting people from still flying in; apparently all he's done is say please reconsider, but people keep coming. They're literally an island and so could contain things, but impossible with tourists still coming. I couldn't imagine sitting in a plane where not only could I not distance myself from people, the air everyone is breathing keeps recirculating (tho there's a possibility I may find out as my sister in WA is losing her battle with cancer).

Meanwhile, my brother raised another question. What happens to kids if they end up missing the last months of a school year? Do they all miss moving up a grade? Even if not, they're missing out. Then there's day care- overloaded often even in normal circumstances, but what about now? Or is that lessened by the fact more parents are on leave or working from home? Then there's the cost to taxpayers to pay for government workers who aren't working or at best not getting all their normal work done if they're working from home....and the pressure on businesses who sometimes are feeling compelled to keep paying employees in the same circumstance.

There's just so many layers to all of this and at this point, when do we feel it's OK to resume normal routines? How soon is too soon?

And by the way, many of us have assumed this virus isn't actually deadly unless your health is questionable and/or you're older. The doctor that originally told the Chinese government about this in Wuhan was neither old or in questionable health...and he died.

So yeah, sucks that there's no sports to watch, but in this time frame that's well down the list of things to worry about.

Unread 22 Mar 2020, 01:48 PM
JSAdmin

My brother sent this link- thought you might also appreciate the read

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavi...pidemiologist/

Unread 22 Mar 2020, 03:23 PM

Trump never said this flu was a hoax. He said what the Dems were saying at the time was a hoax. Tired of these political hit pieces. Wired.com is not an unbiased source.
Unread 23 Mar 2020, 03:13 PM

pelosi/schumer=douchebags of the very worst kind.

2nd day in a row the left blocked the aid package to get $$$$ in the hands of so many people needing the help. Know why? Because they want 3 things added to the bill:

1) Unprecedented collective bargaining powers for unions
2) Increased fuel emissions standards for airlines
3) Expansion of wind and solar tax credits

What in the actual F do those things have to do with the unprecedented need our citizens are experiencing?

I absolutely HATE these disgraceful douchebags....may they all rot in hell....SOON!

Bet you won't read that story at "wired".

Unread 23 Mar 2020, 04:54 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
pelosi/schumer=douchebags of the very worst kind.

2nd day in a row the left blocked the aid package to get $$$$ in the hands of so many people needing the help. Know why? Because they want 3 things added to the bill:

What in the actual F do those things have to do with the unprecedented need our citizens are experiencing?

I absolutely HATE these disgraceful douchebags....may they all rot in hell....SOON!

Bet you won't read that story at "wired".
IMO the above is Fox News BS.
What I have heard is the bill contains billions for corporations with no restraint on how they spend it. The changes being discussed is to insure all monies go to employee wages and benefits and consumer protections. Trump has said multiple times he doesn't want any going to stock buy backs, but there is nothing in the senate bill to prevent that. The 2008 bailout also did not contain actually how corps could spend the money and CEO's eventually received millions in bonuses and profits from rising stock prices due to buybacks.
Also the current bill doesn't address the self-employed and they are not eligible for unemployment compensation. Dissenters are pushing to add them in. I don't understand why the bailout needs to be so political. People out of work by stay at home order need money NOW. Give it to them! Next week, next month, whenever, bailout out the corporations!

BTW, politically I have been an independent for 50 years.

Unread 23 Mar 2020, 06:10 PM

It is not Fox news BS.......you would be wrong about that. The facts are that Schumer had all but agreed to the bipartisan bill worked on in the Senate until Pelosi flew back to Washington and said no. "Not unless we add the 3 items" I mentioned above. Dems are trying to take advantage of a bill that "has to pass". Pork has always been a problem with Congress, this is not the time.

I agree 100% that businesses should not be allowed stock buy backs and there should be oversight on that.

As far as self employed folks.....I am self employed and I make sure that with appropriate belt tightening I ALWAYS have 3 mos of bills saved should an emergency occur. You want to take lavish vacations, drive $60K vehicles and carry $1000 phones....that is on them.

Unread 23 Mar 2020, 07:43 PM

Anyone here respect Sen Tom Cotton? I do.........(He's not Fox News BS either)

his words:

"Families and businesses need help now to survive the China virus pandemic. But @SpeakerPelosi walked away from negotiations to write her own bill, full of absurd provisions completely unrelated to the crisis at hand. Here’s what Speaker Pelosi is demanding while Americans suffer:

1. Corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards at companies receiving assistance

2. Bailing out all current debt of postal service

3. Required early voting

4. Required same day voter registration

5. 10k bailout for student loans

6. For companies accepting assistance, 1/3 of board members must be chosen by workers

7. Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining

8. Full offset of airline emissions by 2025

9. Greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights

10. Retirement plans for community newspaper employees

11. $15 minimum wage at companies receiving assistance

12. Permanent paid leave at companies receiving assistance"

Can't see anything on that list that is not govt overreach
Unread 23 Mar 2020, 10:01 PM
Head Coach

I was replying to your statement

I have not heard any Republican Senator or President Trump say the above three things is what is holding things up.
Unread 24 Mar 2020, 07:42 AM

Fair enough ......

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ist-in-corona/

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020...46de1c4528ea73

Unread 24 Mar 2020, 03:27 PM
Head Coach

I don't know what really is true but what in Trump's words, lying 'Ted Cruz' says is not worth my time to even read.