Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 19 Oct 2011, 11:45 AM
Coach

Why are people protesting? Maybe they dont want their tax money being put at risk. Link

Synopsis: BofA is moving a derivatives unit into the FDIC program with the blessing of the Fed. However the FDIC protested because it could put the entire program at risk. Too big to fail debate once over again.

And on a far lighter note, Bill Watterson was prescient: http://twitpic.com/72a1z7

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 19 Oct 2011, 02:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
And on a far lighter note, Bill Watterson was prescient: http://twitpic.com/72a1z7
+1 Hilarious!
Unread 19 Oct 2011, 04:48 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Sooooo, to steal a line I heard the other day [thanks Cain], why are they protesting in Manhattan instead of Washington?

Nick
Im not part of the movement, but I think that they have the idea that you protest in front of the masters and not the puppets (though there is an #occupyDC...hell there's an #occupy even for most any major town/city, not that your conservative media will ever tell you any of that other than people who practice their first amendment rights are dangerous people).

Unread 19 Oct 2011, 05:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
that you protest in front of the masters and not the puppets ...
Bingo.

Politicians (from both sides) have proven to be the working class' worst enemy.
Unread 19 Oct 2011, 08:29 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

prescience (ˈprɛsɪəns) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
—n
knowledge of events before they take place; foreknowledge
[C14: from Latin praescīre to foreknow, from prae before + scīre to know]

'prescient
—adj

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 19 Oct 2011, 10:41 PM
Coach

Quote:
Oh no, I've heard all about the occupy-a-space-waste-lots-of-money-to-prove-nothing protests. However, I still do not understand what they hope to accomplish. If somebody did something illegal, let's insure justice is served. But that will happen regardless of how much time and money they waste.

However, I am of the -- obviously -- stark opinion it was in fact too much government intervention in the 'free market' that has caused this 'recession' in which we find ourselves. And I challenge you to prove me incorrect -- it's scary how almost everything comes back to over-regulation!

Nick
You dont understand, but you can already dismiss it as proving nothing

Hmm, as I recall many conservatives some years back were saying we need to keep Guantanamo open because we cant insure justice will always prevail. Its funny that "just cant prevail" in regards to the authoritarian policies of our modern police state in regards to the war of terror, but now I see conservatives arguing for justice in regards to economics, and somehow thinking it will prevail when the system, from Senators to judges, have been bought and paid for by the people who would stand trial.

I disagree, Im not going to strongly argue because I think its relatively pointless convincing an obvious zealot. My argument though is that the whole economic mess came about with deregulation though: there are various laws that were culled back but I would point to the repeal of Glass-Stegall as one of the starting points to the mess we are in today.

Unread 20 Oct 2011, 09:33 AM
Hall of Famer

And I am absolutely a zealot for deregulation. = seed for fraud

What has happened, in a nutshell, that during the years of the housing boon, using hindsight, was largely propped up by shoddy financial practices due to a largely deregulated market. Mortgage crisis ensues and the government, in its typical knee jerk fashion, now over regulated that market, essentially killing it. So what was once a huge internal economic engine for this country has now been all but shutdown.

Of course that is an over simplistic view, but I think an appropriate reply for those trumpeting complete deregulation.
Unread 20 Oct 2011, 12:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I don't think I ever said do away with regulation, and if I did I retract that statement right now. What I am suggesting though is that government have a very fine and limited interaction with the free market. There is a big difference between what I just stated and what you thought I meant.

For example, immediately close down and sell the assets of Freddie and Fannie.

Nick
I was not trying to infer that you wanted no regulation...

I was simply stating that the current "mess" that we are in was primarily due to deregulation that took place 10, 20 years ago because proponents declared that the free market would be in the best interest of everyone...but fraud was easy and companies were literally created on the basis of being able to defraud people because of the lack of regulation.

And mind you, I am a Libertarian...I am for the complete removal of government in almost every facet of American society, but I do realize that if there is no one there to protect people from people, then all you will get is carnage and the people that wreak the havoc are usually the ones that are no longer to be found, but rather, retired and sleeping on their piles of money, somewhere not in America.
Unread 20 Oct 2011, 01:36 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
the people that wreak the havoc are usually the ones that are no longer to be found, but rather, retired and sleeping on their piles of money, somewhere not in America.
....pretty much what we have, yes?
or did I misread your comment

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 20 Oct 2011, 02:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
....pretty much what we have, yes?
or did I misread your comment
Correct...

I was certainly, intentionally alluding to our current situation...
Unread 26 Oct 2011, 09:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Occupy Oakland looks like it is getting a little dicey...of course it's mostly due to the police trying to break up the protest...
Unread 26 Oct 2011, 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
...between 1979 and 2007, the share of after-tax income going to each of the bottom four income quintiles has dropped. The only quintile that has increased its share is the top 20 percent. And the top 1 percent -- those economic elites targeted by the Occupy Wall street movement, which claims to represent the other 99 percent -- has more than doubled its share.

That top 1 percent saw its income skyrocket by 275 percent.
Story here.
Unread 26 Oct 2011, 12:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
More telling would be not how much more they've made but how much more they've paid in taxes.

Nick
Not sure why that would be more telling...more telling how? Just for class envy?
Unread 26 Oct 2011, 02:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Just to clarify, you're saying one should feel guilty because they increase their income at a faster rate than somebody else?

It's more telling because [typically] more income in means more taxes out -- last time I checked, that was good for covering our bloated public sector jobs.

Nick
Point A: I am not saying anyone should feel guilty or not if someone's income increases more then someone else. My original post regarding the widening gap of income disparity in this country was just an observation and I made no comment or allusion to suggest anything other than it being an observation.

Point B: Also better tax lawyers to get out of paying taxes as well. A debate in the unfair tax code in America will likely lead into a futile off topic discussion, but if you want to continue...proceed. But, imo, the crux of your perspective is based solidly in the class warfare argument.

Unread 26 Oct 2011, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Occupy Atlanta was also greeted by police early this morning.