Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 16 Jun 2008, 12:26 AM
GM

Default Obama

Mr. "I can do no wrong" Obama has a wonderful little tax plan.

Only people over $227,001 will be paying more in taxes under his little plan courtesy of a little chart by CNN.

Income Avg. tax bill
Over $2.9M +$701,885
$603K and up +$115,974
$227K-$603K +$12
$161K-$227K -$2,789
$112K-$161K -$2,204
$66K-$112K -$1,290
$38K-$66K -$1,042
$19K-$38K -$892
Under $19K -$567

Story Here

And then comes along this little story about how much taxes some people making over $200,000 actually pay in federal taxes. The answer to this is $0.

But it only gets better. The article points out one of the reasons why.

"It's an interesting case study on how people find ways to avoid paying taxes,"

And this article gives several examples of changes in the tax code around the time of Katrina that makes this even possible that a person making over $200,000 could pay zero in federal income taxes.

So let's see Obama wants the rich to pay more in taxes by his tax policy.

But some of the rich have already found some ways to pay 0$ in federal taxes.

I just wonder as well how many ways a person of means has to actually avoid paying federal taxes?

Story Here

So we have here a person that runs around and say he is a different kind of politician and during his very first week during the general election he brings out the old very old class warfare card.

This is just simply amazing to me.

I dare say there will be many other example of Obama being the same old type of politician that people have learned to loath.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 16 Jun 2008, 12:28 AM
GM

And this thread is not about me liking or disliking Obama. I could actually care less. This thread will be about Obama being just another politician plain and simple.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 29 Jun 2008, 01:53 PM
GM

Why would Obama think he needs to "pad" his foreign policy experience by visiting Europe, the Middle East, and throw in a little trip to Afghanistan as well.

Several questions about this pop into my mind.

Will Obama's trip really help him gain foreign policy experience or not?

And it is sort of a wash if the answer is yes because just this past March McCain also visited Iraq as well.

What kind of other things does Obama thinks he need to improve on?

And I can't wait for his answer to why he did this in the first place.

This story tells some reasons why but for the life of me I can't figure out what is what.

Just as one example is the reason to visit Iraq for Obama for American national security reasons?

And as the article points out that Obama definitely needs to visit Iraq so that he can figure out if it is even doable to get the troops out of Iraq in sixteen months.

I am sure latter on Obama will promise to have us out of Iraq long before around May 1, 2010. Hopefully he can get us out of completely out of Iraq by this time next year at the very latest.

Story Here

Unread 29 Jun 2008, 02:16 PM
Coach

I remember back in the doldrums of the primaries between Texas/Ohio and Pennsylvania Obama was saying he was going to try to visit Europe/Middle East/Japan back then, but that didnt materialize for some reason I never came across.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 05 Jul 2008, 12:28 PM
GM

So what has mr. you want change and I am so going to give it to you been doing lately.

Now that the democrat primary season is over he is saying some things in Washington are o.k. after all.

Obama all of a sudden think that the eavesdropping on terrorists is not such a bad idea at all.

Obama really likes N.A.F.T.A after he criticized Mrs. Clinton for her support of it during the democrat primary season. How could Mrs. Clinton not like a policy that her husband was a champion of?

Obama supports the recent Supreme Court decision that bans the ban of handguns in the District of Columbia.

Obama also supports faith based initiative efforts as well now.

Will Obama be changing his pledge about Iraq after he visits there latter on this summer?

And as we all know Obama is the very first politician to change his mind after a primary season is over; because if not he is like every other political nominee that will say anything in order to get elected no matter what. And of course as we all know that is a very new notion about a politician as well.

Story Here

Unread 05 Jul 2008, 03:11 PM

Here is an ironically hypocritical verbatum quote from Mr. Obama:

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you join with me as we try to change it."

Can't wait................
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 05 Jul 2008, 06:51 PM
Coach

Wow that article is a bunch of unsubstantiated BS. The gist of the article is "Obama is moving to the center because I say he is" and gives zero proof to back up his point (well it is from a Murdoch owned paper).

The FISA thing will be interesting when that vote comes up in the senate. He's stressed his community organizing background throughout the campaign, and the biggest organization (group) in his community (social networking site) is for people who want him to vote against the bill (last I looked it had more than 18,000 people in it, but that was before the holiday).

Unread 08 Jul 2008, 10:29 AM
GM

Call it fluff, filler, or noise but non pet owners are giving Obama a fourteen point lead over McCain.

Now I love the original headline that said Obama has a lead over McCain in something that is very important like this.

The original headline was

Poll:Obama leads McCain among people who do not have a pet.

But McCain can take comfort in that he is leading Obama by five points in the category of all pet owners.

McCain also leads Obama by nine points among dog owners; and McCain also leads Obama by three point among cat owners.

Just another example of things that should not matter to people when voting in early November this year but with such a long election cycle the media needs something to fill the pages of political news commentary.

I wonder if the news will ever get around to asking a poll question about Obama's brilliant plan to tax only the top 5% more when it comes to taxes.

This is especially brilliant because the very people I just mentioned are the most likely to be able to avoid taxes as well; and how do they do it with the various ways to avoid taxes in the tens of thousands of pages that make up the U.S. tax code in the first place.

Hopefully Obama can find ways to close many many many many many many many many ways for the rich to avoid the tax code altogether.

No wonder I started this thread off this way.

But just remember Obama has a fourteen point lead over McCain with people that do not have a pet.

Story Here

And of course there actually is a presidential pet museum.

Link Here

Unread 08 Jul 2008, 11:31 AM
GM

Somebody has done this before as well.

The Pepsi Center in Denver is not big enough for Obama's acceptance speech so he needs to have it Invesco Field where the Denver Broncos play.

But then Senator Kennedy who would latter become president had his acceptance speech at the Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles.

Story Here

I wonder how many other ways Obama wants people to think he is like President Kennedy?

Now I am sure that Obama has no ego at all. Because if he does how many other politicians have one as well.

I am sure the Obama handlers are going to spin this as just needing extra space for his acceptance speech or something very similar.

Of course no politician ever has needed to spin their position on any number of issues just pick one.

Unread 09 Jul 2008, 12:56 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
Call it fluff, filler, or noise but non pet owners are giving Obama a fourteen point lead over McCain.

Now I love the original headline that said Obama has a lead over McCain in something that is very important like this.

The original headline was

Poll:Obama leads McCain among people who do not have a pet.

But McCain can take comfort in that he is leading Obama by five points in the category of all pet owners.

McCain also leads Obama by nine points among dog owners; and McCain also leads Obama by three point among cat owners.

Just another example of things that should not matter to people when voting in early November this year but with such a long election cycle the media needs something to fill the pages of political news commentary.

I wonder if the news will ever get around to asking a poll question about Obama's brilliant plan to tax only the top 5% more when it comes to taxes.

This is especially brilliant because the very people I just mentioned are the most likely to be able to avoid taxes as well; and how do they do it with the various ways to avoid taxes in the tens of thousands of pages that make up the U.S. tax code in the first place.

Hopefully Obama can find ways to close many many many many many many many many ways for the rich to avoid the tax code altogether.

No wonder I started this thread off this way.

But just remember Obama has a fourteen point lead over McCain with people that do not have a pet.

Story Here

And of course there actually is a presidential pet museum.

Link Here
I saw that the other day too, and shook my head that this kind of garbage passes for news. If you want fluff news, the All Star game and Olympics are coming up. The fact that someone at the AP wrote up about this tells me everything I need to know about the sad pathetic decrepit state our mainstream media is in. And than they wonder why they're losing their share of the market. What's next, a poll on which candidate leads among people who've seen UFOs? Or believe in ghosts? Or watch Spongebob Squarepants?

Unread 10 Jul 2008, 12:59 PM
GM

Why does the Reverend Jackson have to make apologies for something that some thought were being critical of Obama? Now the other thing that Mr. Jackson has apologized for I very much think he should have an he apologize and Mr. Jackson has done that more than once.

So I guess we should not be critical of Obama no matter what he says or promises for that matter?

I think we need to come up with a word for this very new kind of phenomenon. A person that thinks they are above criticism.

Never mind the word politician comes to mind right away.

And just so a person knows what Mr. Jackson actually said is not in this particular article.

Story Here

Unread 10 Jul 2008, 01:46 PM
Coach

I laughed when I saw that last night, thinking to myself "Jesse Jackson is still relevant?".

And again the mediocrity of the press comes through again, though at the expense of John McCain. Nate at 538 sums it up nicely.

Quote:
Something of importance actually happens in the world -- Iran test-fires missiles. The McCain people sense an opportunity, and for just about the first time in this campaign, organize a couple of those Howard Wolfson fire drill conference calls. Their candidate gets to get off the teleprompters for a few days -- and for the record, while I think that McCain engaged in some pretty bad distortions of Obama's position, he also looked in his element out there.

And then ... something of no importance of all happens. Jesse Jackson has a YouTube moment, and that story sucks up all the oxygen in the room.

I would agree with the conventional wisdom that the optics of the story are liable to be favorable to Barack Obama -- but that's in large part because the right-leaning punditry so strongly dislikes Jackson that they'll torpedo their own candidate's momentum to try and nail him.

Unread 10 Jul 2008, 05:58 PM

I am SO sick and tired of all the talk about how the black folks in this country have been deprived and are owed so much. This country, after countless wrongdoings to them, have MORE than made up for it. They have attained the greatest levels of freedom and attainable prosperity than they have been able to almost anywhere else on earth. How many TRILLIONS of dollars have been spent by US on welfare, food stamps, rent assistance, Pell grants, medicade and other various poverty programs to help them "get with it".

Colleges, government agencies, businesses etc have discriminated against whites and other races to allow black folks to advance (whether deserved/warranted or not).

Look in our jails...

Look at dropout rates from highschools...

Look at the illegitamcy rates in black communities as to compared to other communities......

What is the rate of crime of white criminals versus black victims?

Conversely, what is the rate the other way around.

In this matter, Rev? Jessie Jackson illustrates, AGAIN, what a jackass he truly is. I can't understand hardly anything that comes out of his instigating mouth and as far as I am concerned, that scumbag hypocrite needs to fade away somewhere...never to be heard from again. His popmpous spouting on morality is as hypocritical as a human being can be.

I respect Obama for wanting to inspire his people to be/do/act better....and Jackassson is out of line. Don't even get me started on the other loudmouth hypocrite scumbag....Sharpton.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 10 Jul 2008, 06:16 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
I am SO sick and tired of all the talk about how the black folks in this country have been deprived and are owed so much. This country, after countless wrongdoings to them, have MORE than made up for it. They have attained the greatest levels of freedom and attainable prosperity than they have been able to almost anywhere else on earth. How many TRILLIONS of dollars have been spent by US on welfare, food stamps, rent assistance, Pell grants, medicade and other various poverty programs to help them "get with it".

Colleges, government agencies, businesses etc have discriminated against whites and other races to allow black folks to advance (whether deserved/warranted or not).

Look in our jails...

Look at dropout rates from highschools...

Look at the illegitamcy rates in black communities as to compared to other communities......

What is the rate of crime of white criminals versus black victims?

Conversely, what is the rate the other way around.

In this matter, Rev? Jessie Jackson illustrates, AGAIN, what a jackass he truly is. I can't understand hardly anything that comes out of his instigating mouth and as far as I am concerned, that scumbag hypocrite needs to fade away somewhere...never to be heard from again. His popmpous spouting on morality is as hypocritical as a human being can be.

I respect Obama for wanting to inspire his people to be/do/act better....and Jackassson is out of line. Don't even get me started on the other loudmouth hypocrite scumbag....Sharpton.
wow rich, now you know i respect you and value your input but this is over the top. i'll refrain from any direct allegations or even suggesting some fact checking. but let me assure you, those aid programs you cited aren't racially exclusive and you might be a tad surprised if you did some research into the breakdown of public assistance programs.

as for the crime coments, i really don't want to expand in an attempt to maintain peace on the boards, but i have to once again ask you to check your figures. instead of number of convictions, why not check the types of crimes committed (e.g., the local stick up job at the corner grocery vs. the bilking of billions from the elderly. or the number of folks killed by drive bys vs. the number of folks killed by drunk drivers. you can even check the number of gang related murders in a given 10 yr period vs. the number of street crimes committed by organized criminal syndicates in a similar 10 yr period). i have a feeling if you take the time you might be surprised.

as for the tone of your post, and the choice of your words, i'll refrain. it's no secret where i stand with regard to posts like this (just ask troy) and i'd rather not have the boards erupt.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 11 Jul 2008, 01:22 AM
All Pro

Ken,

Whether I agree with Rich's comments or not I will tell you this: in terms of a college eduacation the kids being left behind are Caucasion, their parents have not divorced, and their families are in the so called middle class.

I have two daughters in college and am well aware of how the "system" works. I am certain you are familiar with FASFA. I could not get a home mortgage at the same income percentage our government thinks I should spend on sending my girls to college. And then I have to wonder? How do so many with less income get into college universities?

I love watching the "Ten Commandments" every Easter. Guess what I see shaping up as the similarity? In Roman times there were only two classes of people......the haves and the have nots.