Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 27 Aug 2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader
Default A question ...

Honestly, all personal biased and comments aside, is America ready for a black, Muslim President?

Nick
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 04:58 PM

I'm not.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 05:05 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Honestly, all personal biased and comments aside, is America ready for a black, Muslim President?

Nick
Gotta love concern troll questions

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 06:18 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Speaking directly to the question... if elected, it would be safe to conclude we are.

Neither of the two qualifiers (black, muslim) in and of themselves preclude the possibility. While race was a large obstacle in the past, perhaps it is not so much so now.

Different candidate faiths of all kinds (Catholic, Mormon) are matters that certainly get discussed. Could make it more difficult. Seems though being of almost any belief would trump being of none at all.

All that aside, garnering the support for his party's nomination might be his largest hurdle. Should he get past that, it's not too far a stretch to win the general election. Perhaps more importantly, this election cycle may serve as a platform that makes him more "electable" in a future year.

Not that I support Obama. Just don't see those two factors as legitimate "concerns".
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.

Reason: really poor typing ;)
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 06:25 PM

and with Bill's excellent points..let me rephrase my answer from above.....I am not ready for a muslim president...black is irrelevant
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 06:29 PM
Coach

I agree with Bill. He just put it in better terms than I had originally put down (and thus scrapped).

The one thing Obama has is a huge popularity with younger voters. And Generation Y (late teens through 20s) are, poll-wise, been far more tolerant than any other generation in America when it comes to different races, beliefs, sexual orientations, etc. Gen-Y also has the numbers to match the Baby Boomers, of course getting them out to vote in that age range has always been a difficult proposition.

There was one poll out of Iowa a week or 2 ago where Obama placed 3rd(!) among registered Republicans. And the people in Iowa have gotten up close and personal to all the candidates, so I think that says something there. What it is Im not quite sure yet.

Speaking of Mormons, I saw the movie September Dawn. I recommend dont see it. Not that it casts a bad light on Mormons or anything like that, just that it was a horrible, HORRIBLE movie.

Unread 27 Aug 2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
and with Bill's excellent points..let me rephrase my answer from above.....I am not ready for a muslim president...black is irrelevant
The Dinner Table [5.51]: O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

The Immunity [9.29]: Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

The Cow [2.190]: And fight in the way of Allah with those who fight with you, and do not exceed the limits, surely Allah does not love those who exceed the limits.

The Cow [2.191]: And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

The Cow [2.193]: And fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors.

Source: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/

Nick
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 08:25 PM
Coach

The Koran is no different than the bible. And Shakespere said it best when he said the Devil can quote the Bible if it suits his purposes.

Me personally, the stuff you posted I take with a huge grain of salt.

Unread 27 Aug 2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
The Koran is no different than the bible.
Any certain reason Koran is capitalized and Bible isn't?

Nick
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 10:02 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
The Dinner Table [5.51]: O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

The Immunity [9.29]: Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

The Cow [2.190]: And fight in the way of Allah with those who fight with you, and do not exceed the limits, surely Allah does not love those who exceed the limits.

The Cow [2.191]: And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

The Cow [2.193]: And fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors.

Source: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/

Nick

you forgot:

Matthew 10:34
Matthew 15:4
Luke 19:27
Acts 3:23
Romans 1:32
Exodus 17:16
Exodus 21:17
Exodus 22:24
Exodus 23:27
Exodus 31:14
Exodus 32:27
Leviticus chpts 20-26

It's like they say those who live in glass houses......

as for whether or not the nation is ready for obama, i can't sum it up any better than Bill already did.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
you forgot:

Matthew 10:34
Matthew 15:4
Luke 19:27
Acts 3:23
Romans 1:32
Exodus 17:16
Exodus 21:17
Exodus 22:24
Exodus 23:27
Exodus 31:14
Exodus 32:27
Leviticus chpts 20-26

It's like they say those who live in glass houses......

as for whether or not the nation is ready for obama, i can't sum it up any better than Bill already did.
Oh, and how many Christians kill Muslims, Jews, Hindu's, etc in the name of God?

Just wondering if you had a number for me ..

Nick
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 11:16 PM
GM

Quote:
Oh, and how many Christians kill Muslims, Jews, Hindu's, etc in the name of God?

Just wondering if you had a number for me ..

Nick
you want throughout the ages or just the tens of thousands over the past decade?

ever hear of places like serbia? rawanda? sudan? indochina? malaysia?

how about the names of folks like rudoplh? mcveigh? watson? byrd?

here's the difference key difference between my post and yours, iiknow that while there are numerous attrocities committed by fanatics, they do not represent a people as a whole and i don't propse that every person of faith is evil and/or wicked because of the acts of some fanatic sects.

i don't for one minute think every (or even most) jew or christian kills as a matter of common practice. but by the same token i'm not foolish enough to believe that the majority of muslims live only to kill non-muslims. nor do i believe that there's some vast right-winged cospiracy in the US to exterminate islam from the face of the earth.

sometimes it's ok to put the propoganda down and take time for a reality check.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan

Unread 28 Aug 2007, 01:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
here's the difference key difference between my post and yours, iiknow that while there are numerous attrocities committed by fanatics, they do not represent a people as a whole and i don't propse that every person of faith is evil and/or wicked because of the acts of some fanatic sects.
Herein lies the biggest difference for me. You hear many Christians, such as myself and JT, who speak out against those who carry out such atrocities in the name of Christianity while the Muslim community, as a general rule, seems strangely silent.

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 05:47 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
Herein lies the biggest difference for me. You hear many Christians, such as myself and JT, who speak out against those who carry out such atrocities in the name of Christianity while the Muslim community, as a general rule, seems strangely silent.
again let's lay down the fear tactics, prejudices, and propoganda. the vast majority of muslims the world over (including those in the middle east) have denounced the use of terror against not only the US but the world in general.

they do however continue to group the west as one people when they discuss how there is a movement to exterminate them and their faith. but that's no different than people in our own nation who claim that they are out to rid the world of non-muslim faith, or worse yet who chastise people in their own nation who simply want nothing more than to be free from religious oppression and a psuedo-theocracy. i find it amazing how so many are so quick to condemn others and yet cry foul when their own words are turned back on them or their own sacred texts discredit their very arguements (see assholes like falwell, baker, robertson, and those who support them). but that's neither here nor there.

Unread 28 Aug 2007, 09:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Nick
Who are you asking about? Is there is a black muslim person seeking the presidency?