Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 05 Dec 2008, 05:25 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

in all fairness, king is not a religious leader (well at least he's not revered for his religious teaching) but you already know that. and i'm equally certain that you're fully aware that king's contributions to this nation came not from his religious dogma but rather his struggles for equal rights (too bad he's not here now when we so painfully need him again) for all U.S. citizens.

truth is most folks (well except for the idiot out in california who's name escapes me) don't have any problem with celebrating Christmas as the birth of Jesus. In fact many of us who do have problems would call ourselves Christians and would be completely comfortable with the next door neighbor having a nativity scene in their front lawn. Or even more shockingly probably have one of our own.

The problem resides with the multitude of folks who feel that this and only this perspective is worthy of worship and respect. For example, tell me how many of you ever see Islamic holy objects prominantly displayed in your city/town hall's yard? How many of you get to drive by a statue of Vishnu or Buddha gracing the lawn of your state's capital building?

until someone can tell me why it's perfectly fine to display a nativity scene or a copy of the ten commandments but not ok to display the laws of sharia or a scene depicting the birth of horace then i'll maintain the position that state/federal/or otherwise public land should not display any religious icon unless they are prepared to honor and respect all religions. after all, isn't that what this nation is supposed to be all about?

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 05 Dec 2008, 09:41 PM
GM

The U.S. is not the only place where Christmas is evil is a theme.

A school in the U.K. had to give up one winter holiday for another and some parents are not exactly happy about the schools decision.

But don't worry the Christmas play at the school will be next month some time.

Story Here

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.